Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays:: tell me what you remember of Watergate

I am not a crook!

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 10:32 AM

Rosemary Woods as the ULTIMATE frau.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 6:29 PM

Republicans thinking James McCord set them up.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 6:30 PM

I remember how pissed my Mom was that DOOL was constantly preempted.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 6:59 PM

Ask Archie Bunker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 7:08 PM

I was 10-11, when the hearings occurred. I can remember coming home from school and seeing my mother watching them on TV. My parents kept up with the news, read the papers al the time, and they were very political. My Dad was more of a Nixon supporter. My Mom was very much against him. They would have heated discussions at the dinner table about politics. I remember the so-called Saturday Night Massacre. It was a big deal. And I remember adults being very shocked when Nixon resigned.

No one really knew much about Ford. I remember it being a big deal when Betty Ford was hospitalized for breast cancer. Another big deal was when she came out in an interview in support of abortion rights. She was asked, as I recall, whether she would support her daughter's decision to have one.

There are certain markers that people remember in their lives, like where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor, FDR's death, and the Kennedy assassination.

I'm 56. For me, it's:

Vietnam (I can remember the news broadcast would end with the number of killed, wounded, and M. I. A. that day) and the fall of Saigon, Nixon's resignation, the attempt on Reagan's life (I remember the attempts on Ford's life, but the attempt on Reagan was more serious), the Challenger disaster, Tiananmen Square, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Oklahoma City bombing, and 9/11.

People took the impeachment hearings of Nixon much more seriously. The decisive politics of today has destroyed that seriousness.

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 7:21 PM

I can't believe Nixon agonized over Archie Bunker's degeneration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2019 7:21 PM

R6 I think the 14 seconds of beep are Nixon admitting to having a homosexual encounter.

There's a tendency for all boys to be gay? Yeah...

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2019 7:32 PM

My dad taking a picture of the TV during Nixon’s resignation speech.

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2019 7:35 PM

I now think the erased part of the tapes revealed Nixon's meddling in the Paris Peace Talks which was treason.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 4:38 AM

That it is honorable to Deep Throat.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 4:50 AM

Though I was 8 years old, I swear I remember this, but can find no proof online. It is the weird detail that like Kleenex and Jello, Xerox had become a genericization, meaning the trademark product name becomes so synonymous with it that people just call it that. During the trial Xerox had lawyers there and every time someone said “such and such documents were Xeroxed,” they had it clarified as being photocopied so their product wouldn’t be maligned with the trial. Does anyone else recall this?

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 5:10 AM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 8:22 AM

Everytime Nixon's name was mentioned my little sister would say I am not a crook. One night she fell asleep in front of the TV while the news was on. My dad nudged her when they said Nixon's name and she mumbled I am not a crook in her sleep.

Sometimes she would meld her brilliant Nixon impersonation with her Ed Sullivan impersonation. She was a funny little kid. When Nixon resigned she said "Well goodbye crook". Everyone made fun of Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 10:16 AM

The hearings were on live TV day after day after day, preempting just about all daytime TV. It pretty much consumed 1973.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 10:22 AM

Was this a secret coded message to your future sister from a time traveling Nixon R13

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 10:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!