Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did Jayne Curtain Get So Many Chances?q

She was the worst one on SNL and wasn't funny.

But she got in two sitcoms and some failed ones, why so many chances?

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2019 6:00 AM

Because other people had a different opinion of her abilities. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 2:35 PM

I love Jane Curtin. She wasn't the worst one on SNL, but she tended to be the straight-man while the other played wacky characters against her. I don't remember a lot of detail from Kate and Allie, but she was the straight-man on 3rd Rock from the Sun as well.

I would love to have her back on TV regularly.

If nothing else, she should be appreciated for REALLY upsetting conservatives at the end of 2018 when she stated that her goal for 2019 was to see the Republican Party die.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 2:36 PM

Jane gave it a shot in the movies, but floundered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 2:51 PM

She kept not dying, OP.

They’d hire her. She’d show up. They’d make funny. And then she would somehow do it all over again.

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 2:57 PM

Maybe because she knew how to spell her first name, unlike OP?

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 3:03 PM

She is a solid comic actress. Never a stand-up comedian, like some SNL-ers, and not really a comic improv talent, either.

Of course she was overshadowed by the genius (and abundant charm) of Gilda Radner, but she held her own against the big boys (Chevy, Dan, and her nemesis, Belushi, who despised her) during her stay there. Laraine Newman could be great at playing freaky characters, but Jane was always the go-to for most of the featured female parts, much like Phil Hartman would be, another underestimated talent. Gilda became the headliner.

And In hindsight, pleasant, polite, boring Jane, who knew her lines, hit her mark, and rushed home to her husband and family after tapings while everyone else continued partying.... did it all right. KATE & ALLIE and THIRD ROCK both ran for 5 seasons. I'm hoping she's sleeping on piles of money.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2019 3:08 PM

We will never forget her Joan, as spokeswoman for the People Born Without Faces Foundation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2019 3:10 PM

Because without her we would not have the immortal line "Jane, you ignorant slut!" from SNL's skit Point-Counterpoint. Jane and Gilda Radner were the perfect foils to Bill Murray, Jim Belushi and Dan Aykroyd and that crystalized Jane as the perfect female "straight man".

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2019 3:12 PM

She was a great comic actress who played the "straight woman" role to perfection

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2019 3:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2019 3:30 PM

OP, you ignorant Slut.

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2019 4:06 PM

“She kept not dying, OP.”

In other words, there was no ‘final Curtain.‘

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2019 4:13 PM

Why is OP Functionally Illiterate?

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2019 4:17 PM

She kept changing her name

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2019 5:34 PM

and her disastrous marriage to Shia LaBeouf after which she became known as Jane LaBeouf-Curtin

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote] She kept changing her name

She used to be Wilma Wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2019 6:08 PM

On Belushi....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2019 6:43 PM

On 3rd Rock....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2019 6:44 PM

So many of you keep misspelling it. Her name is

J A N E

C U R T I N

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2019 6:51 PM

[quote] She is sometimes referred to as "Queen of the Deadpan"; The Philadelphia Inquirer once called her a "refreshing drop of acid." She was included on a 1986 list of the "Top Prime Time Actors and Actresses of All Time."

[quote] First coming to prominence as an original cast member on the hit TV comedy series Saturday Night Live in 1975, she went on to win back-to-back Emmy Awards for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series on the 1980s sitcom Kate & Allie portraying the role of Allison "Allie" Lowell. Curtin later starred in the hit series 3rd Rock from the Sun (1996–2001), playing the role of Dr. Mary Albright.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2019 6:55 PM

It bears repeating that she has two Best Actress Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 6:58 PM

I saw her in the George Gobel tour of Last of the Red Hot Lovers. She was riveting in the pivotal role of Bobbi Michele....

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 6:58 PM

Gilda Radner wrote in her book that she was so PROUD of Jane's success. Jane had everything that Gilda aspired to have. Marriage, child and a successful career. Instead of being jealous, she was so damn proud because Jane was a good friend during their SNL days.

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2019 6:59 PM

She was the one who actually was ready for prime time.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2019 6:59 PM

Jane BEAT Mimi Kennedy for last female slot on SNL (as Gilda & Larraine had already been hired)

Many people had lobbied for Mimi Kennedy to get hired, but it was Dick Ebersole who pushed for Jane. Saying that Jane's waspy look would be better in different sketches to contrast with Gilda. Plus Mimi was too similar to Gilda.

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2019 7:02 PM

If Jayne Curtain were a cougar, and married Shia LaBeouf, she would call herself Jayne LaBeouf-Curtain.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2019 7:10 PM

All you have to do is watch one of the great Roseanne Rosannadanna skits to see Curtin's brilliance as a straight woman. She hugely enhances the skit--there was always enormous pleasure when you'd see these because you'd wonder how disgusting it would get before the camera panned back to Jane snarling, "Roseanne, stop: you're making me sick."

When Radner did her one-woman show on Broadway, she didn't have Curtin to react to her for either Roseanne Rosannadanna or for Emily Liutella, and the skits just weren't nearly as funny as they were on SNL without her. She really was Margaret Dumont to Radner's Groucho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2019 7:21 PM

Well she certainly was no Peter Kurten!

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2019 7:57 PM

I don't know why his name ever came up, but why is it Shia LaBeouf and not LaBœuf? Were his ancestors illiterate?

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2019 8:27 PM

OP is Susan Saint James.

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2019 8:40 PM

Curtain admits that K&A went on one season too many. They'd done everything they could with premise already.

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2019 10:33 PM

Just when you think there’s no one around whose carin’. Just when you think there’s no one around whose sharin’. Just when you think you’re alone and can take off your pants, you’re not.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 10:38 PM

Jane was hilarious on Kate and Allie.

Speaking of that show, here is Fred Koehler nude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2019 10:40 PM

Is OP the same fuckweasel who tried to kill off Katie Lange?

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2019 6:25 AM

I didn't recognize her at first when I saw her in Can You Ever Forgive Me? playing the literary agent, but I thought she was brilliant.

(At first, I thought she was Diane Keaton.)

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2019 6:36 AM

Jane Curtain was hilarious on Kate and Allie. I loved both her and Susan but you can't deny how much Curtain brought to the show and why she was justly awarded with 2 Emmy Awards.

And she was fucking hilarious in The Heat as Melissa McCarthy's mother.

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2019 6:43 AM

I love her

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2019 6:47 AM

Jane Curtin and Dan Aykroyd in the classic "Point/Counterpoint" sketch. They'd never get away with this in the "Me, too" era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2019 7:10 AM

I think Jane is terrific in "How to Beat the High Cost of Living". Very underrated little comedy. Susan Saint James is good as well and I think Jessica Lange looked her most beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2019 12:04 PM

grating voice and personality.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2019 12:26 AM

She is one of those women with genetically heavy legs that don't decrease in size no matter how slender one is. Hillary Clinton is another. While on SNL Jane almost always wore boots no matter the time of year, or, like HRC wears slacks/pantsuit.

We have a wonderful family friend who also is like that, and she exclusively wears dresses and skirts anyway. Hee attitude is "Fuck 'em. Don't like? Don't look."

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2019 1:11 AM

She is one of those women with genetically heavy legs that don't decrease in size no matter how slender one is. Hillary Clinton is another. While on SNL Jane almost always wore boots no matter the time of year, or, like HRC wears slacks/pantsuit.

We have a wonderful family friend who also is like that, and she exclusively wears dresses and skirts anyway. Hee attitude is "Fuck 'em. Don't like? Don't look."

by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2019 1:11 AM

Jane Curtin cousin is Oscar nominee Valerie Curtin

by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2019 1:12 AM

Jayne's daughter is sexpot tv star Tawny Curtain.

by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2019 2:12 AM

The line of dialogue for R10's GIF:

"Try these on for size, Connie Chung!"

by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2019 2:23 AM

My cousin’s best friend who is a stylist to ALL the big names in dental hygiene says that Jane Curtain is a fucking obnoxious eater - Loud sighs, chewing, cawing

It was like you couldn’t tell if she was eating or fucking the hoagie.

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2019 3:31 AM

Jane has a second career as a dental hygienist?

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2019 3:37 AM

For those of you who can't get enough of Jayne Curtain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2019 3:45 AM

Her show “Kate and Ally” was a success. I watched it.

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2019 6:14 AM

I know it's low brow humor for DL, but I still like The Coneheads movie

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2019 6:54 AM

Don't forget she was also a Conehead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2019 9:34 AM

I think she's great. If the original cast we on today they wouldn't last a week. Jane has mad e a nice career in supporting character parts.

by Anonymousreply 52December 24, 2019 12:54 AM

Belushi would never be a star in today's culture.

by Anonymousreply 53December 24, 2019 1:11 AM

Did Jayne play Cate or Ally? Suzan played the other, correct?

by Anonymousreply 54December 24, 2019 1:25 AM

I thought she was very good as a college professor and John Lithgow's boyfriend on 3rd Rock From The Sun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 24, 2019 1:30 AM

She was not a showy performer like John Belushi or Gilda Radner. But she was very talented. And she apparently was the only one of the original SNL members who had her act together; she didn't do drugs, wasn't anorexic or bulimic and was in a stable marriage. Her career has lasted a long time, simply because she's talented and professional.

by Anonymousreply 56December 24, 2019 1:30 AM

Yes, Jane didn't participate in all the debauchery and partying during the SNL years. At the end of the night she went home to her husband.

by Anonymousreply 57December 24, 2019 1:45 AM

Why does the Irrelevant Actress Stalker hate women?

ENVY

by Anonymousreply 58December 24, 2019 2:01 AM

She is one of the few performers I would literally pay to watch read the phone book.

She's so inventive but makes it look so easy and natural—everything she's done has cracked me up.

The sarcastic, no-bullshit talk-show hosts and newscaster she did on SNL would have earned her a bigger DL fanbase, I'd think. She always cut to the chase of the comedy; she wasn't as desperate to be loved as the other original cast members, whose characters and performances could get gooey. Rewatching those episodes, the contrast is really striking.

by Anonymousreply 59December 24, 2019 5:09 AM

R53 Please, Jonah Hill is a "star" in today's celebrity culture. Of course Belushi would be a star. The world loves fat male comedians!

by Anonymousreply 60December 24, 2019 5:29 AM

No, John Belushi would be cancelled for being misogynist and racist. Imagine those Samurai sketches today, complete with comical Japanese accent. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 61December 24, 2019 5:44 AM

[quote][R53] Please, Jonah Hill is a "star" in today's celebrity culture. Of course Belushi would be a star. The world loves fat male comedians!

Comedy is the only place a fat man can get any respect without becoming a drag queen. Oh wait, what am I saying…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 24, 2019 9:28 AM

Who is this person again?

by Anonymousreply 63December 24, 2019 7:50 PM

She was the funny one in the movie you did with her, Jess.

by Anonymousreply 64December 25, 2019 12:27 AM

[quote] Why Did Jayne Curtain Get So Many Chances

Why are straight me so dumb?

by Anonymousreply 65December 25, 2019 12:32 AM

Will she give a sly wink at the frequent misspelling of her name and title her autobiography “Curtain Call”?

by Anonymousreply 66December 25, 2019 2:17 AM

[quote]Why are straight me so dumb?

What are you asking me for?

by Anonymousreply 67December 25, 2019 5:51 PM

During her SNL run, there were Q Ratings showing that she was the public’s favorite cast member. Apparently Belushi went Ballistic when he found this out.

by Anonymousreply 68December 25, 2019 6:12 PM

John Belushi was a misogynistic prick, yet Chevy Chase's egomania was where they drew the line?

by Anonymousreply 69December 25, 2019 6:15 PM

OP You're no expert on comedy. First, it's Jane Curtin. She was great on SNL. "Jane, you ignorant slut." She was Prymat Conehead. Learn classic comedy. Happy holiday.

by Anonymousreply 70December 25, 2019 6:29 PM

She was also wonderful as Mrs. Loopner.

by Anonymousreply 71December 25, 2019 7:03 PM

R71 Thanks. Wasn't the late Mr. Loopner born without a spine? And she served egg salad and Tang? I was only like 6 and shouldn't have been watching that. I loved Gilda Radner.

by Anonymousreply 72December 25, 2019 7:08 PM

This was a short lived classic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 25, 2019 7:59 PM

The Lucille Ball of our time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 25, 2019 8:03 PM

John Belushi is only remembered fondly because he knew where to get drugs and he died young. He wasn't funny and made life difficult for everyone he came in contact with.

by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2019 3:49 PM

James Belushi is only even tolerated because he's John Belushi's brother.

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2019 3:56 PM

R75, I remember the boys in school would often imitate Belushi's characters, the Samurai, "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger," Bluto, Blues Brother Jake, etc. I never got the appeal so I always chalked it up to being a straight boy thing.

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2019 5:40 PM

My dad was in college then, R77, so I had to get the tail end of it being a child of the 1980s.

Phil Hartman's death was more of a tragedy because he was funnier, better-looking, and had a wider and more interesting range of characters. [italic]The Simpsons[/italic] hasn't been the same without Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure; one wonders if they've been dumbing it down out of respect for his memory.

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote] one wonders if they've been dumbing it down out of respect for his memory.

No, one does not.

by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2019 6:11 PM

Jane played Allie; Susan St. James played Kate.

by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2019 6:13 PM

Curtin has said Belushi was for the first few years really rude to her backstage, and would say things to her like "Female isn't funny," which she says she knew wasn't how he really felt because he (like her, and like all the cast) was clearly in awe of Gilda Radner's comic abilities. She says, though, that as time went on they got along much better, and he showed her more respect.

I'm not at all surprised she had the highest Q scores. She was more of a comedic actor than a comedian (as opposed to Gilda, Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray and Chase--and she was a much better comedic actor than Laraine Newman or Garrett Morris), and Lorne hired her because he said 'the audience needs someone white bread to identify with." And that was usually her job--to show outrage or disgust at Belushi or Gilda or Aykroyd, and she did it brilliantly. (And Michaels was right--Gilda and Belushi were so over-the-top they needed someone to play off.) At the same time, when she got to do her own comic bits (such as her very memorable Pat Nixon--"God, I need a drink!"--or Mrs. Loopner) she was quite funny herself.

by Anonymousreply 81December 27, 2019 6:20 PM

r77, straight boys always like fat boys willing to do anything obnoxious for a laugh. That was a large part of why Belushi was so popular, and also a large part of why Chris Farley, John Candy, Seth Rogan, and Jonah Hill have been so popular. They all genuinely have or had talent, but it's their willingness to exploit their fatness and obnoxiousness for laughs that straight boys love.

by Anonymousreply 82December 27, 2019 6:22 PM

R81 it’s actually somewhat surprising to me, because she has by far the least needy, pandering personality of the bunch, and those are the type of people who tend to do well and “connect” with the masses.

by Anonymousreply 83December 28, 2019 5:52 AM

Okay R82, I take offence at John Candy being lumped in with those other fat comedians. He wasn't as tasteless and disgusting!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 28, 2019 5:56 AM

Belushi was a total straight guy thing, they loved him. The Blues Brothers was two hours of coke-fueled assholery, but straight guys worshipped that movie. Nobody else saw the appeal of Belushi at all.

by Anonymousreply 85December 28, 2019 5:59 AM

Kevin James keeps it classy too.

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2019 6:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!