Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Idiot Midshipmen Give White Supremacy "ok" @Army/Navy Game

Welcome to Trump's America.

At least it was caught on camera and is starting to get media coverage.

At least one of them had the decency to stop one instance. All the others need to be discharged.

There is no understanding as to why they thought this was a good thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 25, 2019 9:05 PM

#MakingAmericaGreatAgain

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 2:37 AM

Dataloungers? Oh probably much too young.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 2:40 AM

There are two really infuriating issues with this: 1) that racism is alive and well in what are supposed to be stellar institutions and 2) that these supposed stellar institutions are producing people who aren't smart enough to understand that, maybe, flaunting your bigotry on camera isn't a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 2:45 AM

It'a okay. The POC Midshipmen will take care of him.

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 2:47 AM

Really? There is no understanding as to why they thought this was a good thing?

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 2:58 AM

How disappointing. What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2019 3:02 AM

This gesture was The Circle Game way before 4chan loonies decided to co-opt it as a white power symbol. It’s also been the Okay gesture for years. It does mean other things in other countries, but overwhelmingly, I’d imagine most Americans grew up knowing this gesture as Okay and being part of the annoying circle game.

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2019 3:14 AM

Not surprised. And you wonder why we've made so many enemies around the world. This attitude is what created disastrous FP for decades.

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2019 3:14 AM

R7, don't even attempt to dismiss what it means at this point. THAT generation knows exactly what it stands for in 2019. They know. Don't you dare excuse it at this point. They fucking know.

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2019 3:15 AM

Big surprise. There are racists in the army. Hopefully that douchebag will get his payback.

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2019 3:22 AM

R9 my point is that it only means racist things to some people. It means lots of things. It’s not an exclusive hate symbol.

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2019 4:03 AM

R7 those white boys know exactly what the OK sign really means. Bullshit on the Circle game.

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2019 4:16 AM

R12 sure. So a game that people have played for many years, silly as it is, cannot be the meaning of this - it has to be the white power symbol 4chan loonies ginned it up as in 2017 and was later co-opted by some white power groups. If these men are being racist, yes, they should be discharged. If they are just playing a silly goofball game on TV they are just juvenile. You realise the circle game has enjoyed viral resurgence, with people like pro tennis player Nick Kyrgios doing it at a tournament and some DWTS dude doing it on TV also? Like, a year ago? Grow up, not everything is instantly offensive just because the only connection you have to this gesture is a racist one.

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2019 4:39 AM

Nick Kyrgios Is an idiot. Don’t play the naïve bullshit game. They are flashing white power sign right on TV and should be expelled.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2019 4:45 AM

R13, it was declared a hate symbol this week. You'd have to be living under a rock to not know what it now means, and you'd have to be extremely stupid to even play "the circle game" when on camera, knowing that people might just interpret it as a white power thing.

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2019 4:49 AM

R14 R15 *sigh* “it was declared a hate symbol this week” Well fuck, I better start schooling everyone who gives it as a driving courtesy symbol and tell divers to fuck right off with using that to signal they are ok underwater. Once again, something innocent is re-badged by trouble makers and fucking snowflakes buy into it. And yeah, Nick is a dick. An a Grade one. Playing an idiot old game after it enjoyed a meme resurgence. I’m sure none of these young men after just fucking juvenile. Nope, shit they MUST all be racist. There’s no other possible answer 🙄

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2019 4:55 AM

R16, yeah, okay...it was declared a hate symbol this week because it became widely known as a white power thing. It wasn't a seecret until this week, the declaration wasn't out of the blue. It's been widely known for a few years now.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2019 5:01 AM

R16, you are a fucking clueless asshole.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2019 5:05 AM

R17 two years. Two. A school game played since the mid 90’s AT LEAST has to be a hate symbol now because someone said so. Fucking hilarious. Just goes to show how ready to be marketed to the hyper woke SJW’s are and how fucking easy they are to manipulate, all so they can maintain the currency they see in victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2019 5:05 AM

Trump will invite them to the White House, and flash the symbol to the press.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2019 5:08 AM

[quote] Just goes to show how ready to be marketed to the hyper woke SJW’s are and how fucking easy they are to manipulate, all so they can maintain the currency they see in victimhood.

You just know that the right wing special snowflakes will always eventually get so triggered that they start revealing their true colors foaming at the mouth. Extra points if they also find a way to include BLM, trans, etc, into their rants.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 5:12 AM

[quote]Hopefully that douchebag will get his payback.

three douchebags

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 5:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2019 5:16 AM

So, Trump finally paid for a stadium to give him the adoration he didn’t get from other stadium visits. Sickening.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2019 5:37 AM

R21 Oh dear! So, it’s just for right wing people? Is it just for white people, too? Black people don’t make this gesture? Better tell Barack, Beyoncé, AOC and the countless other POC who have used this gesture. ’m not right wing. And my mother is black. You fucking moron. If you had half a brain, you’d know the circle/ballgazer game is rife in all/high male environments like sports teams, boys schools and the military.

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2019 5:41 AM

Which one is your mother, R25? Diamond or Silk?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2019 5:46 AM

My mother is Australian Aboriginal. My father’s family were migrants. Please, tell me how right wing and racist I am.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2019 5:49 AM

I would like to see the cunt troll poster Afflecks-Rug get stabbed in the eye right about now.

Who's with me?

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2019 5:53 AM

A black woman was one of the inspirations for an Australian who flew to New Zealand and massacred 50 people while they prayed. Do go fuck yourself in thinking there aren't black people who do the bidding of white supremacists. And you are colossal idiot with an immature-thought process for mentioning people like Obama or Beyonce giving an OK sign like you don't comprehend intent.

I hope your brain fully develops one day so so you don't keep stating such stupid opinions.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2019 5:55 AM

immature thought-process*

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2019 5:55 AM

The white nationalist movement recruits directly out of the armed forces. I think it is the hive mind thing that appeals to servicemembers without ambition, purpose or self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2019 6:03 AM

Staggering. Once you realise I’m not white, you change tack to how I’m doing white supremacists bidding. All because I entertain the possibility that a bunch of young men may be playing a widely known long running game rather than be issuing white power gestures coined by a bunch of trolls 2 years ago. Because there are far more racists than people who do stupid fucking things. Mmmm hmmm. All this outrage, yet it seems no one reporting on this has identified or asked the men in question what they meant. Far easier to just smear, so it fits your narrative. 👌🏾

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 6:04 AM

R16 Yeah when you flash a well known hate symbol on national television you are a racist.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2019 6:06 AM

Oh, come on, Afflecks-Rug, your argument might make sense if you're talking about old people who have used that symbol to mean OK for their whole lives and aren't tuned in to pop culture, but college-age men in a hypermasculine military environment know everything about a symbol like that.

Even if they were slightly dweeby and didn't know the urban dictionary definitions of something like that, there have been too many examples of people doing it and getting busted for it. A year or so ago there was a military command post of some kind -- I don't remember the details -- that was featured in a national TV news story (maybe a weather story?), and some idiot guy thought he was surreptitiously giving the symbol and it turned into a huge PR debacle and he was relieved of his duties. No way that wasn't known about by every student at every military academy and every US military person around the world.

Sure, I've seen examples where it was clear the person either didn't know or forgot the hateful message that has been laid onto that formerly innocuous gesture, but it's not credible that currently enrolled students at the military academies are that naive.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2019 6:19 AM

R34 it was a Coastguard Officer. And it’s not just old people. My kids are 17 and19 and know this as the Made You Look game, complete with idiotic teen boy punches after someone looked. They are aware of it from memes and also one of the said they saw it on Malcolm re-runs ages a while back. People have been doing stupid shit on TV for ever. Like I said, if they were being racist, dismiss. But if they were just being fucking stupid, doing it on a date from a mate for a made you look, then they’re stupid, but don’t deserve to have their lives ruined. I just think it has potential to be Covington 2.0 and media are just running with it without even talking to the men in question.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 6:27 AM

It's cute how y'all are trying to reason with an obvious troll who is using a couple of threads to propagate his bullshit, this being the one in which he's particularly invested (gee, I wonder why?)

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 6:28 AM

Dare

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2019 6:28 AM

If offering an opinion, then replying when people address you is invested, then yeah, sure. And why do you think I’m particularly invested here, as alluded with you I Wonder Why? Do you infer I’m military or know these men in some way? Because I’m not and never have been in the military and I don’t know them - I live in another country. Sometimes people aren’t trolls, they just have a different opinion to you.

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2019 6:31 AM

So you live in another country, at least one of your parents is not American, but you are arguing that you understand the motivation of American college students better than Americans know them.

OK. And not with a hand gesture.

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2019 6:36 AM

R39 do you really believe young men in Australia and America are that different? And given the pervasiveness of the Internet, do you think it’s impossible to understand college mindsets in other countries? You think the military and college are so different in America and Australia? You think I don’t know college age kids? Or men in the military? Okayyyyyy.

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2019 6:42 AM

There are a lot of troll replies in this thread, but Afflecks rug is the only one NOT posting them. The circle game is ubiquitous in the US and everyone who isn't a perpetually outraged friendless SJW knows it well, just like well-adjusted people know that the last member of a group to touch their nose when "nose goes" is declared is the one who has to get up and get the refills.

To Afflecks Rug, you are arguing with a disingenuous--but nevertheless evidently successful--troll and in this scenario the only winning move is not to play!

To the troll, last week writing internet comments in english was declared racist since it's the language of colonizers and oppressors of POC. Since EVERYONE knows about the new rule, the fact that you're still commenting here means you're a de facto bigot 1488 nazi facist tory supporting racist and we all see you supporting racist ethnocentric memes with your bigoted dog-whistles, racist scum!

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2019 6:45 AM

R40, I don't know Australia and I don't know college students anywhere in the world except the US. I'm sure you know a lot more about current cultural trends than I do, in many areas.

But it is incomprehensible to me that American college students don't know exactly what that symbol means and that those particular college students were innocently playing some game and had no idea of its racist symbolism.

I'm old, but I not only have seven nieces and nephews in that age range, I also have a lot of young friends, because I'm an actor and work with other actors of all ages, and I don't believe young men smart enough to be accepted at any of the military academies are that stupid.

You can disagree, but you've said nothing thus far to make me believe you understand them better than we do in the US. We live in Trump's America. We know how it is here.

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2019 6:51 AM

R40 Your last para made me laugh. Thank you! And yeah, I’m out. You can’t reason with unreasonable people. Have a great night.

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2019 6:55 AM

R41, you can call me a troll, but you'll have to come up with better evidence if you want me to believe those guys are just innocent kids playing a game, unless it's the game of seeing if they can get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2019 6:55 AM

R42 ScoMo’s Australia is not so different to Trump’s America.

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2019 6:56 AM

The circle game is subtle. The hand should not be on a shoulder vying for camera time. It's supposed to be below the waist, somewhat hidden until the next person notices. FOH, this was dumbass white nationalism in our armed forces. Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2019 7:08 AM

This site never stops amazing me for the sheer stupidity of some posters. Some of you just like to create a conspiracy where there is none.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2019 7:15 AM

So if they were playing the game, why didn't they follow through with the punching?

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2019 7:20 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2019 9:25 AM

r7, my white-hooded friend, he didn't flash a quick OK sign. No one holds an OK like that for ages.

by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2019 10:25 AM

[quote]But if they were just being fucking stupid, doing it on a date from a mate for a made you look, then they’re stupid, but don’t deserve to have their lives ruined.

They were appearing 1) on a newscast being obnoxious 2) whilst flashing a hand signal 3) that has been coopted by white nationals.

If they're over 14, they're too immature to be representing their country.

by Anonymousreply 51December 15, 2019 10:31 AM

[quote]So you live in another country, at least one of your parents is not American, but you are arguing that you understand the motivation of American college students better than Americans know them. OK. And not with a hand gesture.

And yet he's convinced he knows that young men who join nationalistic paramilitary organisations don't know about white power!

by Anonymousreply 52December 15, 2019 10:34 AM

Also the gloved hand stretches down to make the frame of the camera. I wonder if there was a monitor or they were watching the broadcast in some way which makes it worse because then they saw the POC in front of them. I've played the circle game in my frat. You never just do it randomly. You always do it to someone, not a camera.

We are always supposed to thank these people, "for their service" as if they are always these honorable, noble people who give up everything to protect our "american values." Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 53December 15, 2019 10:39 AM

Whatever gesture people make while speaking can be argued but to throw it out like that is different.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2019 10:44 AM

Eh, Afflecks-Rug is just repeating the social media talking point all alt-righties were given about this particular incident. I must have seen two dozen Nazi-adjacent pieces of filth on Twitter yesterday saying "It's just the circle game, I play it with my son, stop besmirching this innocent pastime!" but when you went out to their timeline you saw them using homophobic and racist slurs constantly.

Arguing with Afflecks-Rug is a waste of time. He didn't make the comment in good faith, he's trolling you. This is all trolling. This is how they do it: do something obviously racist but with a little plausible deniability, knowing their fellow racists online will defend them.

Stop falling for it. You know what you saw.

by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2019 10:47 AM

I never heard of the circle game until this symbol became a widely known white power symbol. That too is a recent thing-- I followed the white nationalist movement for two decades and I am familiar with a LOT of their symbols. The reason I didn't know about it is because this gesture was created and spread by young people on the internet since I stopped following white nationalism. Even though I didn't know about the gesture, I do not deny it exists.

Just because you personally don't know about a recent development (the racist meaning of the gesture) doesn't mean that literally everyone else is overreacting and misinterpreting the thing. It's the height of self-centeredness to assume so.

by Anonymousreply 56December 15, 2019 10:49 AM

It’s not some circle game symbol. FF Afflecks-Rug.

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2019 2:36 PM

^not as used in that video, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 58December 15, 2019 2:37 PM

Oops!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2019 2:40 PM

R59 not upward, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2019 2:51 PM

Trump has ruined the ok gesture, and the thumbs up gesture, for me.

I was photographing my Deplorable nephew in front of a historic monument recently, and he started with that stupid thumbs up gesture. I shut that shit down right away. That was before I learned Trump used it. I just thought it was an adolescent thing. I know POWs use it to say they aren’t being tortured, but that was not the case for him. Also people in loud places like fighter pilots and race car drivers. Also not the case.

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2019 2:52 PM

Nothing in this incident indicates it was the "circle game". In the "circle game", one player holds the circle symbol somewhere below their waist. The other player tries to break the circle with their finger without looking. If player two looks at the circle or fails to break it, player one punches him on the arm. If player two is successful, he punches player one on the arm. None of that occurred here. So the excuse that the cadets/midshipmen were playing the "circle game" is nothing but bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 62December 15, 2019 3:02 PM

Also, the excuse that the symbol is not really a racist symbol because a bunch of jokers on 4chan made the whole thing up is bullshit too. Whether they meant it as a joke or not is irrelevant. It now has become associated with the white power movement, so it now has that meaning whether intended or not. You know, the swastika was just a symbol that meant "good fortune". Until it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 63December 15, 2019 3:08 PM

Are 4chan trolls going to be using this "circle game" excuse each time someone flashes this symbol now? What a lame explanation.

by Anonymousreply 64December 15, 2019 3:15 PM

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it's constantly used by people who push the alt-right bullshit.

The same people making excuses for them, think it's OK (no pun intended) to blame every non-white person if one commits a crime. Yeah, I'm sure it's a coincidence. I'm sure it's a coincidence coming from people who whenever there's a mass shooting committed by a white guy, it's always some govt conspiracy to take guns away, but if a Muslim guy stabs someone in another fucking country, they think it's normal to kill or round up the guy running a grocery store in Newark or some 16 yo girl sitting on a train wearing a scarf. They think it's fine to attack those people.

It is a WP symbol at this point. You don't get into those academies being dumb. They knew what they were doing and the excuses are coming from people who either think like them or are absolute idiots. There's no third option.

by Anonymousreply 65December 15, 2019 3:19 PM

The people claiming this incident was one of "the circle game" or "an okay sign" are the kind of people who go around claiming Republicans aren't racists because "Democrats started the Ku Klux Klan and Republicans freed the slaves."

by Anonymousreply 66December 15, 2019 3:22 PM

Im 30 and before today i never heard of the circle game, nor did I know that this was a white power symbol.

If people decide that they want to misappropriate that symbol, why let them? Shouldn’t we use it more and take it back?

by Anonymousreply 67December 15, 2019 3:25 PM

The "okay" sign is always flashed with your hand upright. These incidents with people holding their hand like that sideways in front of their torso, or behind their ear, or upside down at their waist or wherever for a period of time are obviously inspired by the use as a "white power" (or more generally "pro Trump") sign.

by Anonymousreply 68December 15, 2019 3:29 PM

[quote] It now has become associated with the white power movement

Only in the minds of hysterical woke college students. To MOST people it's simply an OK symbol. See R67 and R59.

by Anonymousreply 69December 15, 2019 3:30 PM

Be! All That You Can Be!

A Dumb Tool

For White Supremmmm-acy!

by Anonymousreply 70December 15, 2019 3:30 PM

To the people insisting it's just the OK symbol -

The OK symbol is when your hand is vertical, fingers pointing skyward.

The white supremacist sign is generally done in a different direction, with the fingers pointing down or remaining horizontal.

This is a well known sign for white supremacists that's come to mean they're identifying themselves in the last several years. You not knowing about something does NOT, in any way, shape or form, mean it doesn't exist or is false.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 15, 2019 3:34 PM

Whet to Zika Gash, the gross cunt who did the sign over kavanaugh's shoulder while he wailed about loving beer?

by Anonymousreply 72December 15, 2019 3:34 PM

The Guardian, R71? Really?

by Anonymousreply 73December 15, 2019 3:38 PM

What, pray tell, is wrong with The Guardian?

by Anonymousreply 74December 15, 2019 3:43 PM

The Academies will decide to expel them and then Trump will pardon them.

by Anonymousreply 75December 15, 2019 3:51 PM

Frankly I do not understand why Steven Miller has not been taken out....why are we allowing thisNazi in our White House?

by Anonymousreply 76December 15, 2019 4:09 PM

[quote]The people claiming this incident was one of "the circle game" or "an okay sign" are the kind of people who go around claiming Republicans aren't racists because "Democrats started the Ku Klux Klan and Republicans freed the slaves."

It was totally a racist gesture, r66, and it sickening that it happened in what is supposed to be an esteemed military institution....but, Democrats did start the KKK and Republicans did free the slaves. It wasn't until FDR that the parties began to switch and then Nixon's "southern strategy" converted Democrats into what today we call deplorable Republicans. It's weird that Democrats were once the deplorables but it's also true and ancient history.

by Anonymousreply 77December 15, 2019 4:18 PM

R69, yours might be the stupidest post in this thread...and that's saying something with that Affleck person posting in here.

Mentions "woke" in a mocking way and then "most don't mind" - proceeds to point to TWO posts. Yeah, it's not crystal clear you're one of those geniuses who uses the "This is why Trump won" ad infinitum.

You're such an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 78December 15, 2019 4:19 PM

R77, I think you appear to miss his point. We KNOW Dems started it, but Reps bring it up now as if it is relevant NOW. They are the ones who currently hold the views of THAT Dem party and what the poster is saying is that the attempt to claim the "OK" sign is fine because some half-wit posts a picture of Obama or Clinton doing it or mentions what it *used* to mean, has no bearing on what the symbol means TODAY, particularly when everyone can see those assholes were doing it in the WP formation. And they're from the generation that absolutely knows what it mean. They couldn't be more the demo knowing what it stands for.

by Anonymousreply 79December 15, 2019 4:24 PM

The fact that you don't think "woke" should be mocked tells us all we need to know about you, R78.

by Anonymousreply 80December 15, 2019 4:26 PM

R80? I mock it all of the time, but considering the context in which you chose to use it while at the same time dismissing the other side, says everything about you.

by Anonymousreply 81December 15, 2019 4:27 PM

You mentioned "woke" in attempt to ridicule the use of a symbol that has in fact been co-opted by the alt-right. Just because you're more of an asshole when it comes to the "woke" nonsense, doesn't absolve you of your ignorance when it comes to the right.

by Anonymousreply 82December 15, 2019 4:30 PM

On the other hand, R80 gets TRIGGERED like a special alt-right snowflake he is when someone calls Trump a bitch...

by Anonymousreply 83December 15, 2019 4:34 PM

[quote] They are flashing white power sign right on TV and should be expelled.

On what grounds? There is something called the First Amendment.

by Anonymousreply 84December 15, 2019 4:37 PM

R84 is too stupid to breathe. I'm surprised he made it online in the first place, let alone her.

by Anonymousreply 85December 15, 2019 4:38 PM

Anyone who thinks this is the OK sign and not deliberate has serious mental deficiencies.

I feel sorry for the black guy (who is hot AF btw) as he is going to get dragged into this somehow for just standing below them.

by Anonymousreply 86December 15, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote] [R84] is too stupid to breathe. I'm surprised he made it online in the first place, let alone [bold]her. [/bold]

Yes, we can't all be as smart as you, r85.

by Anonymousreply 87December 15, 2019 4:42 PM

By R84's logic, they could be flying a Nazi flag, "cuz free speech." Because you know it's not illegal to fly one.

Wanna bet when ColinK was taking a knee, R84 forgot the "First Amendment."

Note: The First Amendment does not apply in either case, but you can't explain it to people who won't STFU and continue to mention it and having no clue about it.

by Anonymousreply 88December 15, 2019 4:45 PM

Thank you, OP at R77; I know my history and that's why I wrote "the kind of people who *go around claiming Republicans aren't racists because* "Democrats started the Ku Klux Klan and Republicans freed the slaves." My point was that the fact that the KKK was originally overwhelmingly Democratic and that Republicans spearheaded emanicipation etc. doesn't justify the same characterization in the years since the Civil Rights Bill, let alone in the 2010s.

by Anonymousreply 89December 15, 2019 4:46 PM

R89 - the reason why the KKK was Democratic was BECAUSE Lincoln, a Republican, freed the slaves. Southerners became anti-Republican and were so for decades until the Republican party of the 50's and 60's decided to use their racism to their advantage.

But that's such ancient history - they've been the same racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-science, pro billionaire political party for the past 100 years. Lincoln's gesture doesn't remove that.

by Anonymousreply 90December 15, 2019 5:04 PM

R84, there's also something called the Military Code of Honor. Violation of that is more than enough to expel them. You dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 91December 15, 2019 5:47 PM

R16, your use of "snowflakes" as an insult proves you're a Trumpster who probably gets bent out of shape when you see football players kneeling. Are you in One Million Moms, too?

by Anonymousreply 92December 15, 2019 5:51 PM

They may have been doing it as a white supremacy sign. They need to provide an explanation. It seems unlikely that they would have made a sign for that purpose since they knew they were on camera. It will probably be that the purpose was something else, and perhaps an attempt at humor.

by Anonymousreply 93December 15, 2019 7:06 PM

[quote]The Academies will decide to expel them and then Trump will pardon them.

No, more likely nothing will happen to them at all. The Academy will issue a statement along the lines of it being an internal matter which was investigated and that they do not comment on such things. The fuckers will get away with it the same way the orange fat fuck in the White House will continue getting away with the shit he pulls every day.

Just remember though..this is not normal.

by Anonymousreply 94December 15, 2019 9:30 PM

R76 Steven Miller is Jewish. He literally cannot be a nazi. Learn your history.

by Anonymousreply 95December 15, 2019 10:05 PM

R95, read up on the facts. He's a white supremacist

by Anonymousreply 96December 15, 2019 10:08 PM

Black Shirts 2.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 15, 2019 10:18 PM

Absolutely untrue, R95.

There's a famous article written in 1941 called "Who Goes Nazi?" where the author very explicitly says that plenty of Jewish people are on the side of the Nazis and would fight for them if they could.

[quote]It is preposterous to think that they are divided by any racial characteristics. Germans may be more susceptible to Nazism than most people, but I doubt it. Jews are barred out, but it is an arbitrary ruling. I know lots of Jews who are born Nazis and many others who would heil Hitler tomorrow morning if given a chance. There are Jews who have repudiated their own ancestors in order to become “Honorary Aryans and Nazis”; there are full-blooded Jews who have enthusiastically entered Hitler’s secret service. Nazism has nothing to do with race and nationality. It appeals to a certain type of mind.

Same as it ever was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 16, 2019 10:39 AM

R27, you are right-wing and racist.

by Anonymousreply 99December 16, 2019 11:03 AM

Amazing how a thread like this is a magnet to the lurking racist, fascists, and Nazis among us. Such little snowflakes who hate being caught at their sick game.

by Anonymousreply 100December 16, 2019 11:04 AM

Someone's triggered by The Guardian. FFS.

by Anonymousreply 101December 16, 2019 11:27 AM

At one time didn't that same symbol mean that everything was okay, or is that incorrect? Legitimate question. I don't have time to read entire thread. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 102December 16, 2019 11:31 AM

Holy fuck, I can't believe the hysterical biddies on the thread. You're every bit as delusional and paranoid as some senile Fox News fan glued to Glenn Beck's blackboard during the Obama years.

by Anonymousreply 103December 16, 2019 11:36 AM

(the thread = this thread)

by Anonymousreply 104December 16, 2019 11:37 AM

R103. Is right. So many hysteria queens who want to see a controversy where there is none.

by Anonymousreply 105December 16, 2019 11:56 AM

It’s like an army of deplorable defenders monitors the interwebs for any mention of their hate dog-whistles and springs into action to protest that we are overreacting. All of you who act like this is just he symbol for OK, and couldn’t possibly be a hate sign act as if we don’t know the plausible deniability is the exact reason you chose a symbol that could be so easily be something else.

How is it the most stupid among us always think they’re the smartest among us?

by Anonymousreply 106December 16, 2019 1:07 PM

[quote] It’s like an army of deplorable defenders monitors the interwebs for any mention of their hate dog-whistles and springs into action

Great job convincing us that you're not paranoid and hysterical, there.

by Anonymousreply 107December 16, 2019 1:11 PM

R19 Nothing smart, perceptive, or interesting was ever said by anyone who used "woke SJW" in a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 108December 16, 2019 1:26 PM

R102

No, the hand signal that means OK is upright - kind of looks like the letters themselves. "OK" has never been signaled with the fingers any other direction.

The disingenuousness about this would be astonishing if it weren't so patent and so dumb. A 20 yo guy in a military academy for damn sure knows what they're flashing with that upside-down OK on camera and behind a poc. Does it mean that kid is a racist of the directly dangerous, virulent sort? Not necessarily, but it does mean our country has wasted a shit-ton of money trying educate a tactless, tasteless, self-satisfied moron who up-ends everything they are supposed to be representing.

by Anonymousreply 109December 16, 2019 1:37 PM

Fuck off R107. Your projections mean nothing to me. I know I’m right.

by Anonymousreply 110December 16, 2019 1:39 PM

R109 how do you know what he knows or does not know?

by Anonymousreply 111December 16, 2019 2:22 PM

Wow, this is sickening

by Anonymousreply 112December 16, 2019 3:09 PM

[quote] It wasn't until FDR that the parties began to switch and then Nixon's "southern strategy" converted Democrats into what today we call deplorable Republicans. It's weird that Democrats were once the deplorables but it's also true and ancient history.

What people forget is that these are the very same people. They were Southern Dems until the Dems started supporting civil rights. They then became Southern Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 113December 16, 2019 3:12 PM

[quote]They were Southern Dems [bold]until[/bold] the Dems started supporting civil rights.

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 114December 16, 2019 11:33 PM

Has anyone here hooked up with a midshipman? They look so hot in their uniforms

by Anonymousreply 115December 16, 2019 11:38 PM

R94 No, they won’t get away with it. As academy cadets, they’re not on active duty. They’re subject to an honor board review and expulsion. The academies don’t put up with this crap.

by Anonymousreply 116December 16, 2019 11:47 PM

They were Dixiecrats. A segregationist political party active primarily in the South. After Truman ordered integration of the military in 1948 and other actions to address the civil rights of African Americans, Southern conservative white politicians who objected to this course organized this party as a breakaway faction of the Democratic Party, determined to protect Southern states' rights to maintain racial segregation.

Strom Thurmond was a Democrat before 1964 and then became a Republican after 1964. Jesse Helms was also a Democrat and then switched after 1970.

Times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 117December 17, 2019 4:32 AM

[quote]It wasn't until FDR that the parties began to switch

The parties started to switch by the turn of the century actually, 40 years before you say they did. It happened during Teddy Roosevelt's reign, when his fellow Republicans thought he was too liberal, so they nominated the proto fascist Taft in 1908 to succeed him -- the Republicans were conservative already by then.

You're right that FDR pushed the party further to the left but Democrats were starting to pick up liberals as early as the Taft administration. Wilson was a Democrat elected in 1912 and was as racist as Teddy Roosevelt but he passed a lot of progressive policies that paved the way for FDR.

We didn't get rid of Southern Democrats like Wilson until the 1960s and 1970s though, this is true. Politics move very slowly sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 118December 17, 2019 9:31 AM

I pretty much always found Afflecks-Rug posts interesting, but this attempt to excuse behaviors is ridiculous. As others have noted, the sign for the circle game is usually done in below the waist & close to the body. The okay sign has the hand & digits facing toward up, palm forward. The cadets' gesture is indicative of white power; they are young enough to know the difference between "Okay", "circle game", and white power" and use it accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 119December 17, 2019 9:58 AM

So lemme get this straight: the title of one of my most famous, most beloved songs (which I wrote about fellow Canadian and ooey-gooey liberal Neil Young) has been co-opted and perverted by the deplorable, frat-rat, little-boys-playing-soldier crowd?

I suffer. But we geniuses always do.

by Anonymousreply 120December 17, 2019 11:10 AM

Afflecks Rug is a white supremacist

by Anonymousreply 121December 17, 2019 5:06 PM

bUt iTs ThE circle GaMe.

by Anonymousreply 122December 17, 2019 5:11 PM

Sure Jan: Service academies say it was the Circle Game after all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 20, 2019 7:00 PM

^bullshit

by Anonymousreply 124December 20, 2019 7:13 PM

The investigation revealed it was the circle game after all, and all of you hysterical race-baiting "Nazis are EVERYWHERE!!" folks are so predictable that you'll move right on to calling the investigators racist white supremacists or some other such nonsense. It's never enough for you until someone is cancelled, is it?

by Anonymousreply 125December 20, 2019 8:46 PM

^^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 20, 2019 9:29 PM

What the fuck is the circle game?

by Anonymousreply 127December 21, 2019 1:50 AM

R125 no, they won’t be happy until someone is cancelled. And yes, there will be much shrill complaint about how racist etc the investigators in the military are. This situation is exactly why mainstream media should be more careful in picking up Twitter Outrage Bullshit and presenting it as real news based in fact.

by Anonymousreply 128December 21, 2019 2:33 AM

Another weekend, another attempt by alt-right trolls to deflect.

by Anonymousreply 129December 21, 2019 2:57 AM

R128 Back to rehab Affleck take you Reddit rug with ya.

by Anonymousreply 130December 21, 2019 3:16 AM

[quote]The investigation revealed it was the circle game after all.

And that my Dear is called a cover up. This is not below the waist and look who just happens to be right in front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 21, 2019 9:39 AM

It's obviously to anyone who isn't a right-wing nutjob that any excuses that this was just the "circle game" is a lie. r131's picture tells the truth.

by Anonymousreply 132December 21, 2019 9:48 AM

Hand gesture gate.

by Anonymousreply 133December 21, 2019 11:19 AM

No ones fucking heard of any “circle game,” until the military just made it up to save face

by Anonymousreply 134December 21, 2019 3:26 PM

Flashing this while on camera is an hallmark of white supremacy, not the circle game.

What next, they’re going to bring a deck of cards and start playing Go Fish while on camera?

by Anonymousreply 135December 21, 2019 3:29 PM

Anyone who think it's the "Circle game" waits to hear some non-white person did something so they can go off about every other one who isn't white.

We know your game, idiots. You thrive on being racist and bigoted assholes.

by Anonymousreply 136December 21, 2019 7:14 PM

In the video you can clearly see the white kid wait for the black kid to look away before making the hand gesture. If it was just a game why wouldn't he let him see it?

Affleck's Rug my arse, more like Affleck's filthy piss stained merkin.

by Anonymousreply 137December 23, 2019 11:33 AM

R134 I'm ex military and I honestly agree with you.

There's another point on this. These are all cadets in the academies. They haven't graduated, they haven't received a commission. It's likely the ones who did engage in this behavior will be encouraged to leave the academy to spare them from an honor court. It's a possibility they'll be charged with honor code violations and tried by a jury of their peers.

I suspect that's a bit less likely, given the media attention. It is more likely that on graduation, they will not be offered a commission in the military.

by Anonymousreply 138December 24, 2019 4:03 PM

[Quote] It's a possibility they'll be charged with honor code violations and tried by a jury of their peers.

Considering the “investigation” concluded they were playing the circle game, I’m pretty sure there’s no honor court or charges ahead of them. What would they be charged in court if the investigation says they’re cleared?

by Anonymousreply 139December 25, 2019 12:45 AM

Last night I was driving and a redneck pickup with monster truck tires roared up from behind me, and it had a large black and white supremicist OK sign on the hitch cover. The driver aggressively matched my pace, even when I slowed or sped up, revving his engine. I ignored him and eventually he turned off, but I was legitimately scared. And I'm a middle-class white guy in a purple suburb. Trump's America indeed.

by Anonymousreply 140December 25, 2019 12:53 AM

Honor Court is non-judicial, run by the cadets. It’s frequently focused on questions of cheating and bias. The core is whether individuals have brought dishonor onto the institution.

Following a trial, should any be found in violation- they’re encouraged to resign. I recall only one case where a cadet refused to resign and graduated 19 months later.

He was shut out from the day the finding was issued. No one spoke to him, except for official purposes. He was barred from all student activities, had to seat at a table by himself for all meals.

The cadet sued West Point to have honor court declared unconstitutional. He lost.

by Anonymousreply 141December 25, 2019 1:38 PM

R140, he was just playing the circle game with you

by Anonymousreply 142December 25, 2019 3:27 PM

Tcui

by Anonymousreply 143December 25, 2019 9:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!