Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it is time we revisit "Dirty Dancing" (1987) and the huge impact it had in Pop Culture

I have always loved this movie!!! I was born years after this film came out and my mom told me it was my favorite movie to watch for years, and I knew that around the time I was 6 I loved this movie. Of course I did not understand a lot of the stuff in the movie, but I loved the dancing, the music and Swayze. My young ass loved Swayze so much, but I did not know why yet.

It is such a fun and wonderful film, and I wish I were around when it came out to see the impact it had. There were people waiting on lines for hours to see this, apparently, and it made Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze into overnight sensations.

It is nuts that this film topped the Box Office for 19 Weeks straight, the album sold millions, and was made for $4 million and earned over $100 million.

My mom used to always say Swayze was hideous. I always thought he was handsome. Her and my Grandma also found Grey hideous, too. I find her cute.

RIP Patrick Swayze. You will forever be one of my first crushes. My favorite scene was always the final dance number, as well as the scene when Johnny and Baby dance alone, intimately, before fucking.

PS Pia Zadora was who the Execs wanted for Baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2020 4:00 PM

I love this movie. Swayze was a dream boat.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Sorry, but I did not like this movie at all. I was going to write something impolite, but this will suffice

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 1:25 AM

R2 say it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 1:31 AM

Is it considered a teen flick?

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 2:06 AM

I remember seeing this in the theaters (I was 8) and later taped it off cable and watched it more times than I can count in the late 80s /early 90s. I can't recall seeing it since then and just recently re-watched it and still think it's just as enjoyable. The dialogue is kind of hokey, but the soundtrack is really what propels the film, as does the chemistry between Grey and Swayze. It's kind of wild how abortion was a subplot of this mainstream, PG-13 popcorn film. I suspect we've regressed where that's concerned and now it's treated as a third rail topic these days that very few films dare to touch. There's a lot of memorable moments, but I think the Mickey and Sylvia number is the most iconic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 3:21 AM

It was the last of that cute nose. I miss her original nose even more than that of J Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2019 3:27 AM

NEVER seen the entire movie, in fact, just bits and pieces, even then i thought it was cheesy and NO ONE danced like that "dirty dancing" at that time period, doing all that bumping and grinding with each other! so silly and ridiculous!

although i do have a question about swayze's character, not sure if it was a fact or it was "alluded" to by was/wasn't his character a gigolo male slut toy for much older women when he wasn't dancing? that's the impression i got from the bits of the movie i watched years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2019 3:42 AM

I saw it when it first came out and never much cared for it but it cannot be denied that the film has a large loyal following.

Why the fucking did they remake it for TV for fugally, fat, nicotine breath, tattoo Abigail Breslin.

This still from the re-make is hilarious - the leading man trying to lift her up out of the water is really struggling. Hahahahaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2019 3:46 AM

The film isn’t set in 1987. It is set in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2019 3:46 AM

Definitely, r7. It's pretty much overtly implied that was the case. I think they steer the notion away from him being a gigolo though and imply he was just a young, horny guy who enjoyed the attention of older, sophisticated [rich]women and the monetary gain aspect is left ambiguous.

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2019 3:52 AM

R9 True but it felt so 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2019 3:57 AM

I love how the production people didn't give a shit about hair and wardrobe and music matching the period in which the movie takes place.

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2019 4:08 AM

Wait, didn't Lawrence of Arabia have a huge impact on Dirty Dancing?

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2019 4:09 AM

The lake where the movie was filmed has drained away

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2019 4:16 AM

R12 the writer of this movie chose the songs she wanted for the movie, and knew which scenes each song would play. It took them long to get each song as they had a $4 million budget and songs cost a lot. She wouldn’t have the movie without those specific songs, with the add on of the final song and Swayze’s song.

She also wouldn’t take out the abortion subplot despite getting pressure to from sponsors etc. she refused as she feels the abortion plays a big role in the relationship between Johnny and Baby.

The film originally received an R rating, so the Producer called the head of the MPAA (who she is friends with) and asked if she took some curse words out can it be PG-13 and he said yes. They knew the film wouldn’t be a hit without young teens.

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2019 4:20 AM

[quote]NO ONE danced like that "dirty dancing" at that time period...

Netflix has a very good documentary ("The Movies that Made Us") about the making of the movie. Screenwriter Eleanor Bergstein discusses how much of the plot was lifted from her own experiences, including the dancing. Nobody danced in public like that, but she says that at the resort where her family stayed, there was a basement where employees would party after hours. When she described the "Dirty Dancing" that took place to Linda Gottlieb, who would eventually produce the movie, Linda said, "There's your title."

According to the documentary, nobody involved cared for the line "Nobody puts baby in the corner."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2019 4:33 AM

It’s known history Swayze tried getting them to remove that line or change it but they wouldn’t.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2019 4:37 AM

It was a stupid line, why would he be annoyed where she was sitting? Sitting in the corner means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2019 4:41 AM

Penny and Baby’s dad are the only likeable characters. Baby is a villain. She facilitated a back alley abortion just to impress some guy, lied and stole from her parents, did nothing when she saw her sister being assaulted by Robbie, got her boyfriend fired from his job by telling the world they effed (couldnt she have come up with a plausible lie for an alibi?), and was holier than thou about her Peace Corps intentions. Baby sucked.

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2019 4:51 AM

R18, you cannot be that dense.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2019 4:51 AM

Baby was a cunt. I never liked her. Was so-so on the movie. Dwayne was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 4:59 AM

Dirty Dancing is truly a chick flick made by women for women.

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 5:07 AM

Ugh Swayze not Dwayne. Damn you autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2019 5:08 AM

I love how all the chairs and tables disappear during the final dance sequence.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2019 5:11 AM

it wasn't #1 for 19 weeks. I think Titanic was #1 for 16 weeks and that was a record.

Dirty Dancing made $63 million domestic. Which would be like $100 million today. Did twice that overseas. In terms of domestic box office, it opened at #4 its first week with 3.9 million and word of mouth kept it in theaters for months. Might have been in the top 10 for 19 weeks but I'm too lazy to look it up

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2019 5:19 AM

adjusted for inflation, it earned $147 mil domestic.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2019 5:19 AM

I was in middle school at the time and this was THE movie with girls in my age group. They were obsessed with it.

It was the early 60s but a lot of it looked so 80s. Patrick Swayze had a mullet and Jennifer Grey had a spiral perm and poofy bangs.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2019 5:23 AM

[quote]did nothing when she saw her sister being assaulted by Robbie

Wait, when did that happen? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2019 5:27 AM

Fun fact: "I've Had the Time Of My Life" was offered to Donna Summer, who turned it down because she objected to the movie's title of" Dirty Dancing." Not a smart decision, as the song became a gigantic hit.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2019 5:37 AM

$147 million isn't that good today

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2019 6:10 AM

It’s very good for a film in its genre.

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2019 1:14 PM

Terribly overrated movie. Good for its time but cheesy watching it now. Gen x fraus iconic movie but as a millennia I don't see the fuzz.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 1:30 PM

But you see the buzz over all these superhero movies, huh?

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2019 3:10 PM

I liked the movie because it reminded me of being a kid and driving up through Sullivan County NY to my grandmother's house. This was back when these places still existed in the Catskills and served the mostly Jewish clientele. There would be big billboards for places like "Brown's" where Jerry Lewis performed and many others like Grossingers, one of the most famous. The "Jewish Alps" or "Borscht Belt" eventually rather sharply declined and all these wonderful places are gone now but I was thrilled to see it brought back to life in this movie, even if it was filmed in North Carolina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2019 3:37 PM

Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze actually hated each other, but you'd never know it by the chemistry they had in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 4:07 PM

That is because Grey is a big baby diva

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 7:02 PM

Dirty Dancing - The Series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2019 7:05 PM

R37 omfg I forgot about that

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2019 7:06 PM

Fun fact - Kelly Bishop was an emergency recast for the part of the mother, as they had FIRED the original actress Lynne Lipton

Here she talks about being an emergency recast with no time to prepare

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2019 7:13 PM

Why did they fire Lipton?

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2019 7:15 PM

Probably a straight line from this movie to Mrs. Maisel

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2019 7:26 PM

[quote] Why did they fire Lipton?

She got ill during the first day of filming, and the general feeling was she couldn't take the heat when filming on location.

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2019 7:27 PM

I wanted to hate this film ,it's a very 80s film. I secretly love it.

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2019 7:56 PM

R34, Sullivan County sounds dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2019 8:17 PM

It’s very 80s and WONDERFUL

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2019 10:15 PM

R37: "Dirty Dancing - The Series!"

Nothing says "authentically Jewish" like Melora Hardin and McLean Stevenson!

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2019 11:04 PM

What was the deal with Patrick Swayze's hair? It was feathered, so out of date for 1987--bot not so out of date that it evoked the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2019 11:07 PM

[quote] Ugh Swayze not Dwayne. Damn you autocorrect

That's not a valid excuse.

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2019 11:10 PM

I’d rather watch Trump take a shit than revisit Dirty Dancing

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2019 11:22 PM

R49 from the movie "romy and michell's high school reunion" "are you going to the reunion? i'd rather put this out on my ass! (garofalo's character cigarette) lol! lmao!...

by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2019 11:31 PM

It’s a fun movie. Some of you are so nasty

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2019 12:02 AM

Both Jennifer Gray and Patrick Swayze were blessed with the epitome of the perfect physique. They were stunning to watch together.

by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2019 4:44 PM

R52: sorry but i found swayze a foppish "twig" hardly the "perfect physique of masculinity, maleness"... just me, but not ever remotely found him attractive, sexy or sexual..

jennifer was a pretty girl next door nothing more....

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2019 6:48 PM

Wasn't it one of those examples of a film that was hugely successful on VHS?

It was hugely popular here in the UK and I was far too young to have ever seen it at a cinema, yet EVERYONE at school had seen it.

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2019 6:52 PM

Didn't Jonathan Silverman from Gimme A Break! play Robby The Creep?

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2019 7:52 PM

Will never forget dancing next to Patrick Swayze and a party.

by Anonymousreply 56December 17, 2019 12:41 AM

As cheesy as the film is, it' has a very strong cast, I think Swayze, Grey, Cynthia Rhodes, Jerry Orbach and Kelly Bishop are all excellent.

For an '80s dance movie, I thought it dealt with the topic of abortion in a sensitive manner. It is a bit disappointing that Rhodes' character is pretty much side-lined in the second half of the film. I think Rhodes is quite an underrated actress. She was the best thing in the terrible campfest Stayin' Alive and she was very good here. Shame she retired once she married Richard Marx, who is now married to Daisy Fuentes.

by Anonymousreply 57December 17, 2019 12:52 AM

Swayze and Grey are slightly above average looking. I think that's part of their appeal?

by Anonymousreply 58December 17, 2019 12:55 AM

The movie was a Jewish girl's dream come true.

by Anonymousreply 59December 17, 2019 3:41 AM

It’s no Rollertown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 17, 2019 4:20 AM

He’s hot, she’s unconventionally cute. What’s not to like?

by Anonymousreply 61December 17, 2019 4:37 AM

I imagine this movie set up a lot of disappointment for homely girls when the hot guy they were trying to pursue ran off with the hot girl.

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2019 12:09 PM

Its a movie I can watch over and over and am never bored.

by Anonymousreply 63December 20, 2019 12:35 PM

Movie came out in late August 1987, but I really had no interest in seeing it. Cheap dance movies really weren't my thing. But it stayed in theaters week after week after week. There was a lot of buzz about it.

Finally, sometime in November that year, I had time to kill and wanted something mindless to do. I was in a bad on and off again relationship and needed something to distract me from the misery of that relationship. A nearby theater was still playing Dirty Dancing, so I went to a bargain matinee.

I LOVED it. I was totally captivated by the story. Patrick Swayze alone was worth the admission price. But the music was great too. So many of the songs had been playing nonstop on the radio, but I didn't know where they came from until I saw the movie.

In fact, I loved the movie so much, I ended up going to it three more times before it finally left the theater.

by Anonymousreply 64December 20, 2019 2:23 PM

1987? i was way way too busy watching "the barbarians" and "masters of the universe" and "who's that girl" for the monumental abundance of muscle, homoerotica and eye candy in the theater!

by Anonymousreply 65December 20, 2019 6:26 PM

I hate WHo's That Girl

by Anonymousreply 66December 20, 2019 11:03 PM

R66, well, i think it was funny but i went to see it a number of times in the theater and now i have the dvd for all muscle no brains handsome "buck" the UPS guy! his shirtless scene still gets be running! (i.e. leaking between the thighs)...

by Anonymousreply 67December 20, 2019 11:17 PM

Swayze was quite the talented dancer!!! How the hell did a white actor from TX learn to dance so well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 21, 2019 12:08 AM

Standard fare for the walmart crowd.

by Anonymousreply 69December 21, 2019 12:22 AM

R68 Um, his mother owned a dance school.

by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2019 2:46 AM

He’s been dancing his entire life.

by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2019 2:55 AM

I love this movie

by Anonymousreply 72February 23, 2020 3:19 AM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 73February 23, 2020 3:35 AM

Patrick Swayze was hot, but I never got into this movie. It doesn't stand out amongst all the chick flicks, to me anyway. Meh. I guess the general public disagrees though, considering how popular it is.

by Anonymousreply 74February 23, 2020 3:39 AM

It's a movie of false hope and disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 75February 23, 2020 1:08 PM

^^ Yeah, so it mirrors real life then, except in the movie they all lived happily ever after. Sounds like the perfect movie formula

by Anonymousreply 76February 23, 2020 1:48 PM

I feel like it was the last true sleeper hit. It was out for months before it captured the zeitgeist. I remember seeing it in the theater months after it’s initial release, sold out theater and the crowd going insane. When Baby’s hand grazes Johnny’s ass while Cry to Me plays, the women went ape shit. The soundtrack was a blockbuster. It was one of the last true “audience” pictures. Perfect blend of 80s cheese while tapping into powerful baby boom nostalgia.

One last thing- when Jennifer Grey was on Dancing with the Stars shortly after Patrick Swayze died, she had to feign grief and like she was “doing this for Patrick.” What a horse shit.

by Anonymousreply 77February 23, 2020 2:51 PM

R77 My Big Fat Greek Wedding and The Notebook say hi.

by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2020 3:39 PM

R78- with their iconic soundtracks as well? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2020 3:54 PM

You said the film itself was a sleeper hit. Those were also.

The Notebook (2004) debuted with $13 million and went on to gross $81 million.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) debuted $597k and totaled $241 million

by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2020 4:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!