Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just rewatched Charlize Theron in "Young Adult"

She's so good in it.

Is she good in anything else? She's totally off my radar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2019 3:24 PM

Monster

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2019 10:12 PM

She was brilliant in this and was riveting to watch. I think she should have won the Golden Globe and got an Oscar nomination.

Has anyone seen Tully?

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2019 10:14 PM

Yes because she has only been around for a couple years, stupid twat.

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2019 10:16 PM

North Country

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote]r4 She's totally off my radar.

WHO is this exciting new face??

And how has she gone unheralded for so long??

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2019 10:23 PM

She’s a notorious elitist cunt in real life. I have boycotted any film she’s associated with.

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2019 10:24 PM

Young Adult, one of my favorite movies of all time and absolutely one of the best film performances of all time. This role will be studied in the future, I truly believe it.

R2 I enjoyed Tully a lot, she's also fantastic in it.

We can have this conversation if you all want, but I firmly stand by Charlize being the best actress of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2019 10:25 PM

She was transcendent in Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2019 10:27 PM

Yes this little known oscar winning actress....

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2019 10:27 PM

I would say that Young Adult is truly her best performance. I love that film.

I remember enjoying North Country.

Monster was not my cup of tea, and pure Oscar bait.

I liked Tully but HATED that "twist".. Not remotely enjoyable as Young Adult. But another great performance.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2019 10:27 PM

Young Adult is so underrated

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2019 10:28 PM

^^ it is deeply uncomfortable to watch. I think that's why it's not a big repeat-viewing thing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2019 11:04 PM

Despicable character in Young Adult. I didn't enjoy spending time with that character.

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2019 11:04 PM

She really is talented.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2019 11:18 PM

R10, I totally agree with Tully. So bad. But she's done some really good work overall. And with some one who looks like her? You'd think she'd just phone it in.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2019 11:19 PM

She was great in Monster as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2019 11:23 PM

She was just stunning in "Monster", and great in "Furiosa" and "Young Adult", which BTW, I didn't like for any other reason than her performance. I hated the story - she may have been great, but she wasn't great enough to put that bullshit over!

She was the most uneven actress in the world for years and years. She could be Oscar-winning brilliant in one film, and totally lifeless in another, and a generic pretty girl in the next.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2019 11:36 PM

I pity her.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2019 11:48 PM

Her scenery chewing evil queen Ravenna is Snow White And The Huntsman was hilariously great.

“I will give this wretched work the Queen it deserves!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2019 12:06 AM

She was outstanding in “Young Adult”, a brilliant film. I think the reason wasn’t remembered during awards season that year was because there was no redemption at the end. Her character learned nothing and there was no growth. When she suggested to her parents that she was afraid she might be an alcoholic and they immediately dismissed the idea, it was so sad. And Theron was brave in never trying to soften her awful, clueless character and make her more likable to the audience.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2019 12:13 AM

For me, the great thing about her performance in Young Adult is that she played another Monster, but this time with no make-up. Far more difficult. And a lot braver. She nailed it!

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 12:17 AM

She’s a notorious control freak. No man wants to be with her or give her a baby. She had to buy her children. She will die sad and alone and bitter. I guess the money will keep her warm and cuddle with her.

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 12:20 AM

She also killed her father.

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2019 12:24 AM

Her mom killed her dad in front of little Charlize r23

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2019 12:30 AM

Many people believe that teenage Charlize actually shot him, and the mom took the blame. No charges were ever filed and the police ruled it self-defense.

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2019 12:32 AM

The Theron women are damned good shots

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2019 12:34 AM

Yeah, she was awesome in this. She really knew that character, I think it's close to home.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2019 1:09 AM

I felt so sorry for her poor dog, it really bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2019 1:16 AM

I watched this movie and it opened my eyes to being an idiot holding on to a romance to someone who had moved one.

It was very helpful to me.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2019 1:35 AM

She's such a turn off when not acting.

The pictures of her power struggles with her kids and her narcissism is ugh. Those stories about her threatening to tell the owner of Soul Cycle and her bitchiness towards everyone make me not like her!

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2019 1:50 AM

In that blind, James McAvoy was probably talking about not liking Charlize because she's taller than Angelina Jolie.

Charlize would definitely be a bitch and say something like that. Angelina married Billy Bob Thornton for fucks sake so why would she say that no one would believe someone like McAvoy could be with someone like her.

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2019 2:00 AM

One thing I never really bought about Theron's character was that she stayed in a relatively small Midwestern city. She seemed like the type to move to LA /DC/NYC to try to make it.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 2:01 AM

She got good reviews for "Long Shot", but I haven't seen it yet.

I loved her in that Mad Max movie. So much fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote]One thing I never really bought about Theron's character was that she stayed in a relatively small Midwestern city. She seemed like the type to move to LA /DC/NYC to try to make it.

No. She wasn't that hip. Remember even her books didn't carry her name...and even they were now in the bargain section. The "relatively small Midwestern city" suited her personality. NYC would have gobbled her up and spat her out.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2019 2:09 AM

She's a good actress. But she seems like a horrendous bitch in real life. The fact that she has a black adopted trans kid makes her even more insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 2:24 AM

I loved her in Monster. Years ago, I knew a lesbian living in Florida whose physical mannerisms were identical to Charlize's in the film. Sure made me wonder when I watched it.

BTW, she's always pinged for me. I don't believe that "no man wants to give her a baby," jackass @ R22. I'm sure there are millions of straight men (and lesbians!) who would give their right arms to have sex with her no matter how temperamental she is. I know I would.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]I don't believe that "no man wants to give her a baby," jackass @ [R22].

I don't believe that either. She's specifically said that she didn't want to have biological children, because she didn't want to pass on her father's genes...who she claims was a horrible person and an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2019 2:59 AM

Fucking Adam Driver. Playing the long game. She is fantastic in the right role but annoying and bland in the wrong ones. Raging bitch one moment, bawdy and down to earth the next. Took her kid for therapy and was told he was trans so she is running with it. Problem is, the kid is rejecting transition and is acting out all over again.

Pitt should tell Driver to get the hell out while he can.

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2019 3:00 AM

[quote]She's specifically said that she didn't want to have biological children, because she didn't want to pass on her father's genes...who she claims was a horrible person and an alcoholic.

That's admirable. I wish more people would have that view.

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2019 3:11 AM

I'm not a Charlize expert, but she is fantastic in Young Adult and Monster--two totally different performances and characters, but so well executed by her. I saw Young Adult in theaters and recently re-watched it on Netflix, and I'd forgotten how great she was in it.

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2019 4:43 AM

That part where she pulls down her dress and seduces the chunky guy, I couldn't figure out what was covering her boobs!

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2019 9:02 AM

They were boob boosters, R41 - to make her boobs look bigger under a dress, bit like a padded bra.

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2019 9:36 AM

[quote]I'm not a Charlize expert, but she is fantastic in Young Adult and Monster

I hate movies about white trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2019 9:45 AM

OP, have you seen Celebrity? She is great in that.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2019 9:53 AM

She deserved the Oscar for this performance.

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2019 10:01 AM

[quote]She deserved the Oscar for this performance.

So did the sneery receptionist at the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2019 10:05 AM

Listen, I didn't give a FUCK about Theron UNTIL I watched "Monster." That was one of the most well-deserved Oscar wins that I've ever seen. The other was Washington for "Training Day."

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2019 10:09 AM

She should do a TV series and get an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2019 12:53 PM

R20, I disagree. I found the ending daring and ambitious because she did gain self-awareness and a measure of empathy, but not in the way that we are conditioned to expect in mainstream American film.

I thought the movie was fascinating but also facile as in they - particularly Diablo Cody the writer and Theron - were picking low-hanging fruit with such a relentlessly revolting character.

Until the third act, when I realized I was watching a film about deep depression.

And I think the character realized it around the same point.

Moreover, she realized that she really did not belong in the small town because she was indeed different, hungrier and unable to be satisfied by what made everyone else “find happiness to come so easy.”

Having some sort of sex with chubby, disabled Patron Oswalt, whose dick didn’t really work, was a final cast-off of her high school prima donna-mean girl persona and self-concept.

And she was smart enough to know that Oswalt’s sister really did belong in the small town and that she couldn’t bear having her as an albatross around her neck anyway.

She left the film with a final fuck-you to the snotty motel clerk and a genuine apology to her dog, before starting anew, albeit in the car she’d wrecked the night before, sort of line she had to pick up and start again while recognizing and carrying the weight of the mess she’d made of her life.

The line “thank you” she delivered to Oswalt’s sister in that intense epiphany seemed terrifying at the moment, as she seemed to learn all the wrong lessons, but really, she learned a lesson that the audience hadn’t anticipated, one that wasn’t punitive but oddly empowering.

It’s a great movie and Theron’s performance in it might be my favorite from the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2019 1:37 PM

They did a great job making her look hideous in Monster.

by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2019 5:21 PM

What a thoughtful, well-reasoned response R49. You've made me want to watch it again (although I did love it and thought Theron was spectacular the first time).

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2019 6:29 AM

Patton Oswalt was great in Young Adult. He should have won an Academy Award for his performance.

by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2019 6:35 AM

She's good in literally everything, where the fuck have you been for the last 20 years, under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2019 8:57 AM

R49 truly nailed this film in such an eloquent way.

And might I add that the film has too many numerous well written scenes to count. (Very surprised that it did not get a nomination for original script)

Extremely insightful and always uncomfortable-

My favorite scene in the entire film is at the end with Charlize and Patton's sister. It's so perfect. And I loved the actress who played the sister. The way she said the lines- so dry and funny.

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2019 6:10 PM

Monster

North Country

The Devil’s Advocate (where I first noticed she has “it”)

Mad Max: Fury Road

In the Valley of Elah

Dark Places

Bombshell

She should’ve received nominations for the films above, “Young Adult” and won for “Monster” as she did.

I hope she wins for “Bombshell”.

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2019 6:28 PM

I love this movie so much. It could have a LETS BE Thread.

“No, you’re good here.”

by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2019 6:36 PM

[quote] love this movie so much. It could have a LETS BE Thread.

Here you go, R56>>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2019 6:44 PM

Thanks R57

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2019 6:46 PM

I think this movie is such gay catnip and so relatable. Being from a small town, wanting a guy from the past and feeling like you no longer know who any of the people there are anymore.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2019 6:49 PM

I seem to be alone in my love for "Atomic Blonde." I've watched it several times. Girl can KICK ASS. Bigtime.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2019 6:55 PM

Apparently those things stuck to her tits are called cutlets and she wears them in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2019 8:13 PM

It's scary how much I can relate to her character in Young Adult. And her blow up scene at the end is fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2019 4:23 AM

R62 Were you the prom queen too?

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2019 4:40 AM

[quote]It's scary how much I can relate to her character in Young Adult.

Which aspect?

[quote]And her blow up scene at the end is fantastic.

Sort of thing YOU'd do?

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2019 5:57 AM

R63 i wish.

R64 just in the way she conducts herself. And I have blown up at people before, but not at that level.

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2019 7:17 AM

Rumors are she is allegedly poz!!!

by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2019 8:15 AM

And sucks her thumb at night R66!!

by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2019 11:58 AM

That gurl Charlize speaking up loudly and clearly for gay marriage back in '11.

She's clearly a friend to the gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 21, 2019 2:12 PM

cringe inducing.

excellent.

but squirmy.

by Anonymousreply 69December 21, 2019 2:24 PM

She produced, co-directed and starred in 2008’s SLEEPWALKING with AnnaSophia Robb & DL fave Nick Stahl. It’s a gorgeously bleak Midwestern indie that no-one saw but deserved more accolades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote]She produced, co-directed and starred in 2008’s SLEEPWALKING with AnnaSophia Robb & DL fave Nick Stahl. It’s a gorgeously bleak Midwestern indie that no-one saw but deserved more accolades.

Keith from Six Feet Under's in it. NOT my scene at all. she seems to do a lot of "white-trash" roles.

by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2019 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!