Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How "GAY" is pot smoking in America?

Is it more or less prevalent amongst gays than str8s?

I haven't lived in The USA since 1988 and I seem to remember it wasn't particularly popular with my gay friends. Hardly at all in fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2020 12:43 AM

Marijuana was decriminalized here in DC. It seems like almost all the straight I know smoke it—and they did even when it was not legal.

I am gay, and I don’t smoke it because I hated the effect the two times I did.

I don’t have a lot of gay friends. I see a fair amount of “420 friendly” notes on Scruff and Grindr profiles, but at least of the people on those apps, I get the sad impression that a lot of gay men still use meth and other hard drugs. There is one guy who has a very public job that often has him on camera commenting to the media, and he is regularly on Grindr in the middle of the night, with face photos, asking guys if they “party.” I asked “what exactly does that mean?” and he wrote back “drugs.” I said no and he blocked me.

I don’t feel like there’s much of a gay community to speak of anymore, but hard drug use unfortunately seems to be a thread that ties way too many gay men together.

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2019 1:20 PM

I’m gay and I like to smoke weed! I prefer a hybrid or straight sativa. I love to get stoned and eat lots of unhealthy snacks, but because I’m also a homosexual, I put in extra time at the gym to make sure all those extra snacks don’t make me fat because as a gay man we all know there’s nothing worse than being overweight!

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2019 1:49 PM

[quote] I asked “what exactly does that mean?” and he wrote back “drugs.” I said no and he blocked me.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2019 2:03 PM

I HATE pot, but my partner Is like "UP IN SMOKE" since we moved to California. We're more like roommates at this juncture.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2019 2:35 PM

Do you think if I'd posted a pic of a very HWAT couple I'd get more response to this?

(NOT that these three responses aren't great because they all ARE)

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2019 2:50 PM

IMO you do pot when you stay at home and watch Netflix while high. When you go out and believe you can only have a good time while being high you do MDMA.

Have gay guys become stay at home pot smokers? Is that what OP is going for?

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Grass is one of life's little pleasures. Back home, when I was younger, it was considered quite exotic, as hash was what was readily available, unless one went to Amsterdam. Almost all the cool gay Americans I know partake. I don't necessarily associate it with gay men in particular, however.

by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2019 3:11 PM

Weed is far more prevalent among straights.

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2019 3:13 PM

I love weed. I’ve been smoking and eating it off and on since I was 13.

I really love sex while high, to the extent that a couple of my old boyfriends who didn’t smoke it regularly suggested that I get high because they enjoyed my focus and enthusiasm.

I also love watching movies, listening to music, and eating on a whole different, deeper level when high.

I’ve always found friends, gay and straight, who felt the same.

I don’t think of it as a drug particularly popular with gays, but I also never had interest in the drugs that were, namely coke and meth.

Now that I am older, I don’t get high often, but still appreciate the heightened physical and mental sensations that weed brings.

But I have a renewed interest In the psychedelics that I dabbled in in my twenties. I don’t see mushrooms and acid as gay niche drugs at all.

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2019 3:47 PM

Yes I love pot, not much of a drinker or drug user but have smoking pot steadily since 1991......and intermittently before that.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2019 3:55 PM

What a random picture in the OP. That's heterosexual Dutch politician Alexander Pechtold walking hand in hand with his colleague Wouter Koolmees to protest anti-gay violence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2019 4:38 PM

R11 The Dutch were pot pioneers. Maybe that’s why he used it?

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2019 4:39 PM

Eldergay here. "Wanna joint?" in SF in the 70s was a perfect pickup line. I always got an enthusiatic, Yes!

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2019 5:05 PM

I can't smoke pot. It interferes with the Meth High.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2019 5:10 PM

I thought you’d prefer cotton mouth on your dick over vomit quietly hidden in your nightstand’s top drawer.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2019 5:27 PM

I enjoy edibles - great for sex, especially straight guys. Seems they get high and get A LOT more curious.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2019 5:38 PM

I live in the SF Bay area and everyone I know (adult friends, family, fellow employees) seems to be either occasionally dabbling or daily-driving some form of weed (bud, vape, edibles, etc) regardless of sexuality or demographic.

I think that some aspect of this prevalence is due to the novelty of the newly enacted recreational pot laws in Calif but there was certainly lots of serious demand waiting in the wings for this marketplace to go legit.

With that said, California state govt and it's various municipalities are now screwing the pooch on this vibrant retail marketplace by levying exorbitant taxes and use fees to the point that it's MUCH cheaper to buy products out of state (Oregon + Nevada) or from illegal dealers. E.G. : I buy indica edibles (10 pieces of 10mg/piece) for $25 from a legit retailer in San Francisco that would cost me $15 in Oregon or Nevada and $10 from the neighborhood dl weedman. This disparity is killing brick & mortar weed retailers who've seen their businesses' ROI take a massive haircut.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2019 5:43 PM

I used to love weed, especially the more sensory strains, but then I turned 40 and could no longer ingest any downer without face-planting.

Most of my gay friends I’d consider potheads are public schoolteachers; I’d imagine there’s a strong correlation for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2019 5:43 PM

Smoke a sativa to reduce the chance of couchplop.

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2019 5:50 PM

R19, that encourages brain zaps the next day. Temper it with a little indica via hybrid; you’ll still experience random brain farts, but they won’t irritate you as much.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2019 6:18 PM

[quote][R11] The Dutch were pot pioneers. Maybe that’s why he used it?

I think I just googled "gay couple" - I tried gays smoking pot or something and the pics weren't too good. These two looked so awkward I thought it would be a funny pic to link. No wonder they look awkward.

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2019 6:58 PM

[quote]Is it more or less prevalent amongst gays than str8s?

Are you kidding? It’s mostly straight men I always hear rambling on and on about how much they love marijuana. I know straight men in their damn 30’s who still act like high school stoners and smoke dope every day. It’s one thing to smoke it occasionally, but don’t pretend you don’t have a problem if you’re smoking it on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2019 7:09 PM

There's nothing gay about pot smoking OP but your prolapsed anus that drags on the floor is pretty gay.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2019 7:17 PM

R23 you also left a spastic message for me on the "Beater" thread. Grow the fuck UP!

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2019 7:20 PM

NYC gay here - stoned all of the time, especially now that I have a vape pen.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2019 7:24 PM

Straight people seem to dive deep into their mood lifter of choice - wine, whiskey, cigars, pot - it's always straight people who take it to the point of obsession.

Beer snobs too - I can't tell you how many boring conversations I've been stuck in with straight guys about beer, bourbon or whiskey. Always trying to one up the other person.

Gays like and enjoy these things, but I rarely hear a gay go on and on and on about it like straight people do.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2019 7:26 PM

R24 your brain dead comments need to get off here bubba.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2019 7:27 PM

I agree with r22. The stereotypical pothead is a low achieving white straight guy. Gays are more associated with party drugs, again rightly or wrongly.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2019 7:38 PM

Imagine America if this stuff had never been banned.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2019 7:40 PM

Weed is legal where I live. I've never tried it and don't plan to. Just not interested.

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2019 7:54 PM

Yes. About 87,000 bushels so far. Somehow it hasn't ruined my ambition or damaged my lungs. Love it, especially for sex. I am an orgasm machine.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2019 7:59 PM

And I never do meth or any other drugs, club or otherwise. Weed only. But then I always hated clubs and all the stereotypical gay socializing shit.

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote] There is one guy who has a very public job that often has him on camera commenting to the media, and he is regularly on Grindr in the middle of the night, with face photos, asking guys if they “party

Who? If he’s posting pics there is no need not to name names

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2019 8:07 PM

I smoked a lot in college. Am less and less into it as I get older. Only a couple of our friends smoke pot - the vast majority don't. But it seems that those who don't smoke pot tend to be very heavy drinkers. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2019 8:28 PM

R17 come down to San Jose, you can get 100 mg of edibles for ~15 here too

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2019 9:24 PM

As a 20-something, my Dream was gay marriage and legal pot. Used to have to go to Amsterdam to live that life. The fact that both have come true in US is shocking. I’m good to go now - I’ve got everything I want.

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2019 9:39 PM

R33 All I will say is that he speaks highly of the DC Metro.

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote]Weed is legal where I live. I've never tried it and don't plan to. Just not interested.

That makes two of us. I have nothing against it, but I have no desire to try it. I think mainly because everyone I know that does it is a lazy slob.

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2019 9:46 PM

[quote]As a 20-something, my Dream was gay marriage and legal pot. Used to have to go to Amsterdam to live that life. The fact that both have come true in US is shocking. I’m good to go now - I’ve got everything I want.

Yes, I think if I lived in America I'd get a good feeling about living somewhere as progressive. We won't get legal pot in England for a very loooong time.

by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2019 9:48 PM

P.S. I do realise DLers DON'T LIKE IT if I post something positive about America. They go very SILENT and no one posts for a while.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2019 9:51 PM

I’m in SF, and just about every gay I know smokes it, but that’s mainly because just about everyone *period* smokes it.

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2019 9:54 PM

It was only a three minute wait, R40. Things are moving along nicely on this side of the water, but not that fast.

Almost everyone I know, gay and straight, young or old, partakes if not smokes. There may be people who don't, but I guess I don't know many of them. It's legal in Massachusetts, widely available if overpriced unless you have the medical card (and ridiculously cheap if you're a veteran), and pretty much mainstream as a result. I had just some peanut butter shatter. I'm going on an illuminations tour (Art Council shuttles take you around town to see the holiday lights on people's houses) in an hour and it's always better high.

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2019 10:08 PM

It's not a gay thing, I would say the vast majority of pot smokers I know are straight. Many with young kids. But just like any group of people, some use drugs some don't and the gays I know mostly seem uninterested in any drugs, they tend to drink more. I could go do a normal house party and someone will always have some kind of weed it seems.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2019 10:10 PM

Eldergay here, and nearly every gay person I ever knew from the 60s onward smoked pot. It wasn't always obvious, because straight men who smoked were more likely to look like hippies or counterculture types, and gays were more likely to look some version of Chasten Buttigieg (except in the '70s, when many looked like clones).

As someone said above, people who didn't smoke were likely to be heavy drinkers.

Also, curiously, virtually every lesbian I've ever known well smoked pot, and most straight women either didn't at all, or if they did, they would take one or two hits and proclaim themselves too high to partake of any more.

I remember telling a female roommate in the '80s that if I could, I'd get high every day, and the look of horror on her face would have been perfect for an ad for a slasher movie.

Now it's legal in my state and I do smoke every day. I love to get high and do a sort of homemade yoga, rolling around on the floor, finding new ways to stretch and bend. Being high just makes my muscles feel so good to twist them and move them every way possible.

It makes me fucking furious, though, that my red state still has enormous numbers of people locked up for possessing pot, while there's a dispensary on every corner and Republican politicians who rail against the evils of cannabis are using the tax and license revenue to rescue our state from their disastrous economic policies.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2019 10:13 PM

Only medical marijuana is legal in my state (for now). Weed caused me and my BF huge problems when we were younger. It wasn't that he got high, in and of itself, but that he was only doing it while submitting to peer pressure, since he's never really been one who like to get too loose. He would always hide it from me, so that was really what bothered me. I've only used it a few times, and I've always ended up vomiting (strange, since so many people claim it helps their nausea). I know people who use it regularly, but I prefer not to socialize with them, since every event seems to revolve around their first getting high before a movie, a dinner, or a concert. I honestly don't care much what other people do, but to have to duck into an alley to smoke a joint on the way to a movie skeeves me out. And, as other people have mentioned, I seem to see more straight guys getting high than gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2019 10:19 PM

[quote]There is one guy who has a very public job that often has him on camera commenting to the media

We want his name! If he's on Grindr using a face pic, he's certainly not expecting privacy.

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2019 10:22 PM

Yeah, who is the celeb? Why so private about it when he is public about it?

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2019 10:27 PM

Not a celebrity, just high profile.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2019 10:30 PM

Right, so give us his name. He's on Grindr showing off his face. He knows he can't expect discretion.

by Anonymousreply 49December 14, 2019 10:42 PM

Names. NOW!

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2019 10:46 PM

I smoked my first joint at 15,and 44 years later Im still going strong. I have cut my intake way down over the years,just a few bowls at night now mainly,but I will indulge if Im going to a movie or a museum with a friend. Everyone I know smokes,gay or straight,and many I know who quit have resumed after the kids were grown. Several gay men Ive known who were alcoholics switched to pot instead and are much better people for it.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2019 10:52 PM

Yeah, so pics and Name please!

Or it didnt happen.

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2019 10:54 PM

I keep reading how it's much better to smoke only once or twice a week. You get a much better high.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2019 10:55 PM

That's true r53, just like alcohol, you develop a resistance with daily use. I am on the once a month or so plan, keeps it fun for me, no impact on the rest of my life health wise and no feeling of dependence to "get through the day"

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2019 11:01 PM

R53 and R54, I get around that by using different strains. If I smoke the same strain too many days in a row, I develop a tolerance, but if I switch around often, I don't.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2019 11:18 PM

I've had to buy some of the street where I live, after years of not smoking. So have no idea what they are. One is so powerful and so INTENSE. Not much "fun' at all.

The other more dopey. I feel very doped on it.

Could just be where I'm at right now.

I used to smoke hash years ago, but that seems to have disappeared. Much mellower. Less psycho.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2019 11:34 PM

R56, that's what it was like for me until my state voted in favor of medical marijuana. Now that I can buy specific strains, the pot is not only better, you can fine tune the kind of high you want.

It's a lot of fun buying a gram or two of several kinds and experiencing their unique characteristics, including flavor, aroma, effects, etc.

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2019 12:27 AM

Yeah longtime pot head - but I never knew the varieties well until legalization. Amazingly different strains - which I never had the chance to appreciate. For a while I was getting stuff that was way too strong - now I get a mid range mellow bud. Life is good in the USA in many ways - if you ignore being held hostage For 3 years by a bunch of loonies, it’s nice to appreciate everything we got during the Obama years. As an eldergay who has seen much worse.

by Anonymousreply 58December 15, 2019 12:46 AM

OP, there are no hard-fast rules about gays and weed. I'm gay, I'm in Oregon where it's been legal for a while, but I don't like it much - I like having a brain that works properly. There's nothing specifically gay about that. (Also, I'm not impressed by people who think all's right with the world because weed is legal.)

by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2019 12:59 AM

A few posters here seem like huge drags.

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2019 8:17 PM

R1: just say Thomas Roberts lollol

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2019 8:29 PM

r31 what kind do you smoke?

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2019 12:33 PM

[quote]I've had to buy some of the street where I live

Really? They allow you to buy some of the street you live on in your town?

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2019 10:53 PM

R63: "I have often smoked on my street before

But the pavement always seemed to stay beneath my feet before

Now all at once am I, very very high

Now that I own the street where I live"

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2019 11:34 AM

Gays don't seem to like pot that much...I think it's because they're too anally retentive

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2019 12:02 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2020 9:39 PM

[quote] I haven't lived in The USA since 1988

Yes, you have. You live here now.

[quote] and I seem to remember it wasn't particularly popular with my gay friends.

You didn't have any friends, gay or straight. Fat, sedentary children, such as yourself, often don't.

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2020 9:56 PM

You're a weirdo, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2020 10:03 PM

I love pot. I smoke it like a drink before dinner. Funny how judgmental people are about pot. It's been my experience that usually gays like harder drugs. Many a straight guy has been lead to bed stoned. I have also found that smart, professional people usually prefer it and that those who judge it should do it. I am always suspect of people who are afraid to lose control and see other things.

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2020 10:36 PM

I love pot, my gay friends love pot and my straight friends love pot. I guess my entire circle consists of potheads. We like to laugh and eat.

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2020 11:15 PM

& listen to music, R70? Most potheads love music.

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2020 12:32 AM

R4 here. We are now divorced and live in separate states. FWIW

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2020 12:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!