Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chicken and Rice

So many cultures have versions of chicken and rice, a natural pairing.

In Asia you cannot escape it. In the Dominican every grandmother makes a version.

What is your favorite chicken and rice recipe?

This is not my favorite but the one most common in my country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2019 2:51 PM

Waiting for the inevitable comment from DL's own Starving Darfur Orphan...

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2019 8:30 AM

R1 you beat them to it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2019 8:43 AM

Thank you for not assuming my gender, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2019 8:49 AM

And now back to our regular broadcast in Bangkok they eat the chicken poached with spicy sauce. The chicken and the rice are cold or at room temp which takes getting used to but it does make a nice breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2019 9:08 AM

Chicken cacciatore!

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2019 9:11 AM

R5 with rice?

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2019 9:13 AM

R6, doh! Dunno why I just read favorite chicken dish. Changing my answer to chicken plov, an Uzbek dish I've only tried a few times, but is very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2019 9:43 AM

This is not about Asian twinks?

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2019 10:02 AM

I want to try jollof

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2019 10:09 AM

R9 Jollof is easy to make but not a chicken and rice dish, in fact it is not served with chicken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2019 10:57 AM

I make a curry version with peppers and cauliflower

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2019 12:12 PM

Chicken à la King. It's the KING of chicken and rice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2019 12:27 PM

The mention of chicken à la king reminds me of those TV dinners I had a couple of times when I was young - the ones that came in boilable plastic pouches, where the rice comes in one pouch and the chicken & sauce are in the other.

Anyway, my choice is chicken & rice choice is chicken biryani

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2019 1:54 PM

Cant get rid of this frickin' chick I see.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2019 2:11 PM

I want to try coq au vin blanc with rice. Looks so tasty.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2019 2:12 PM

With sauce, Sir?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2019 2:15 PM

Chicken sashimi and oriental sushi rice

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2019 2:17 PM

Kaeng Khiao Wan. I spice this green curry more than is usual, but for me it lends all the comfort chicken-and-rice dishes can have while being interesting as well.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2019 2:21 PM

Not in Ireland. Thank God for Indian food.

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2019 2:23 PM

My mom used to make some kind of baked chicken dish where you cooked everything together in one baking dish. I don't remember the specifics, but I think you put the raw rice and raw chicken pieces in together, with canned onion soup, white wine, and some other kind of canned soup (cream of mushroom, maybe?)

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2019 8:28 PM

R20, I make that without the wine but with onion and garlic. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2019 8:31 PM

Indians have Birihani.

Spanish have paella

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2019 8:51 PM

In my culture our chicken & rice dish is chicken...and rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2019 9:11 PM

In December

I will be a baubled bangled Christmas tree

with soup bowls draped all over me.

Merry once , merry twice, merry chicken soup with rice.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote]So many cultures have versions of chicken and rice, a natural pairing.

Utah makes makes the pairing unnatural by slow-cooking chicken breasts in a glop of canned cream-of-chicken soup and sour cream. The chicken is shredded and added back to the sauce, then poured over individual bowls of white rice.

You then create your own masterpiece by adding toppings from an array of vegetables, shredded cheese, canned pineapple chunks and mandarin orange segments, chow mein noodles, black olives, and any leftovers that look like they’d work.

Because pineapple is involved, Sister Concerncunt way back when determined the mess needed a name that warned of its wildly exotic nature — Hawaiian Haystacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2019 10:41 PM

R13 - I remember those boil in bag Chicken à la Kings. There were other varieties as well, but I don't remember what they were. I remember when I was 15 my parents and sisters went out of town for the weekend, and they bought me some of those (and a Tombstone pizza!) to have for dinner while they were gone. They were visiting family friends and I didn't want to go.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2019 2:43 AM

Interesting that chicken paired with rice doesn't exist in Italian cuisine. Rice isn't a side dish. And "chicken risotto" isn't a thing. The closest might be adding rice to chicken soup but it's not really common.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2019 2:49 AM

Utah is sickening.

Risotto alla Milanese is an Italian dish that pairs chicken broth with rice but it is usually served with veal shanks.

Even the chicken soup for when you are sick in Italy uses Pastina.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2019 7:17 AM

Though I'm American, r27, I mostly cook Italian. I nearly never eat rice, at least, not at home. It never occurs to me to eat it instead of pasta as a starch, I suppose. I think of it as an accompaniment to Asian food. And risotto doesn't even use the same type of rice.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2019 7:27 AM

Persian people have a lot of different rice dishes and many are served with chicken. This one looks so yummy, I'm hangry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2019 8:48 AM

More Persian chicken and rice dishes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2019 8:49 AM

This looks so good, Persian chicken kebab

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 8:52 AM

In Iran there are many versions of chicken and rice and so far, all that I have tried have been good.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2019 8:59 AM

Puchero Andaluz

There are countless versions, each with many ingredients, yet the chicken usually comes through as the key or certainly a key flavor of a rich mix. With rice (the usual, rather than fideos) and a bit of yerba buena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2019 9:20 AM

Jambalaya from the south: rice cooked in stock and the veg trinity of onions, celery, green peppers, chicken, garlic, prawns, any other ‘catch of the day’ plus traditionally and optionally other available meat from the hunt/road kill such as raccoon, alligator, etc. A real clear out the fridge and cook in one pot dish. Add cayenne pepper to taste and sprinkle with fresh chopped scallions/spring onions to serve.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 9:37 AM

R33 I've never been, but I've been to Persian restaurant in LA and OMG, the food is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 11:23 AM

Hainanese chicken rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2019 12:51 PM

A Trinidadian former colleague of mine once made a batch of chicken pelau for a Christmas pot-luck. It was a big hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2019 1:02 PM

Yay I can post again

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2019 1:17 PM

Dogs LOVE chicken and rice.

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2019 1:33 PM

R23, that's a horrible recipe. That barely has any seasoning in it. It must taste like dishwater

4 quarts (16 cups) water approx. (enough to cover chicken)

4 lb. (approx.) whole chicken

3-4 stalks celery; rough chopped

1 large sweet onion; diced

1 teaspoon pepper – divided

3 cups long grain white rice

1 teaspoon salt – divided 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon celery salt 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley – divided

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2019 1:41 PM

Arroz caldo, Filipino comfort food. Best when one is sick with a cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2019 2:46 PM

Nasi or Bami Goreng

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2019 3:13 PM

I like the recipe where you take some chicken and you cook it and you take some rice and you cook it and then you eat them.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2019 4:19 PM

R25 WTF? I'm gonna puke.

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]Risotto alla Milanese is an Italian dish that pairs chicken broth with rice but it is usually served with veal shanks.

The classic risotto alla milanese is made with brodo di carne....not chicken broth.

[quote]Even the chicken soup for when you are sick in Italy uses Pastina.

Pastina has nothing to do with rice.

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2019 5:47 PM

Japanese style chicken curry over Japanese Calrose short grain rice, Jasmine rice, or Basmati rice. My second would be a coconut base Thai chicken curry with lemongrass over rice.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2019 6:02 PM

I thought we had a poster called Arroz con pollo

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2019 6:15 PM

R46 Even the official Italian recipe contains chicken stock, so shove your carne up your ass hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2019 6:27 PM

R49 "This is my version of the great Italian classic" Yes. It's her version. I guess she could also do it with fish stock if she wants to....

But this is the classic version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2019 6:57 PM

Sippin' once, sippin' twice, sippin' chicken soup with rice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 15, 2019 7:00 PM

R49 But the point is, even if you use chicken broth, you really can't consider a "risotto all milanese" a "chicken and rice" dish. as the OP intends.

by Anonymousreply 52December 15, 2019 7:03 PM

Did anyone say that the Risotto was a chicken and rice dish?

Risotto alla Milanese is an Italian dish that pairs chicken broth with rice but it is usually served with veal shanks.

I think the statement that it is served with veal shank is proof that no one ever stated that it was a chicken and rice dish.

R52 take your baggage home.

by Anonymousreply 53December 15, 2019 7:22 PM

I'm not Chinese, but chicken fried rice is one of my favorite ways to use boneless skinless chicken thighs, throw in some egg, green onions, peas, and of course, soy sauce.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2019 7:46 PM

R54 Huge Chicken Fried Rice fan here too! I like carrots, celery, and water chestnuts in addition to your ingredients. Sometimes a bit of fried shredded cabbage as well.

by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2019 7:58 PM

Chicken paprika.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 15, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote]Risotto alla Milanese is an Italian dish that pairs chicken broth with rice

The traditional recipe is beef broth. Not chicken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2019 8:35 PM

Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and Italian food causing an argument on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 58December 15, 2019 8:42 PM

R13 and R22 South Asian chicken biryani FTW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2019 9:18 PM

R41

Youre right! I was going for the photo representation more than the actual recipe. Done right (homemade broth from the chicken you just cooked for the dish, lots of black pepper), it's quite good, if mild.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2019 2:01 PM

Am I the only person who just doesn’t like rice? I’ve tried different varieties and styles and I just don’t like it, the texture or taste. If I want a starch, I’ll eat much tastier potatoes or pasta.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2019 2:09 PM

R61 I don't like rice much either, but mostly plain white rice. I've come to appreciate rice with sauces or spices, like anyone needs to like starchy foods after 30...

But overall, not a huge rice fan. Potatoes and bread, any day

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2019 1:29 PM

One of my staple meals. I pre-cook boneless chicken breasts (or thighs) and keep them in the fridge to speed things up. I find simple is best:

While making fresh brown rice in the cooker...

Shred 2 or 3 chicken breasts, in a large pan stir on medium heat with olive oil, onion, garlic (add nearer the end so it doesn't burn), and a little bit of minced something green (spinach, kale, again, toss in near the ned).

I also find a drop or two of sesame oil adds a great flavor, and a spoonful of honey helps things caramelize. In fact, it's vital!

Increase the heat to high towards the end to really crispify those edges. Stir non-stop. When rice is ready throw it in while piping hot, add black and red pepper, and some Bragg's Amino sauce (I use this instead of any salt... but go nuts with the salt if you wish). Add maybe add a bit more oil. Mix well. If you're feeling it, add crushed peanuts on top or sesame seeds if you have them.

Serve piping hot. Not the healthiest meal but you could do a lot worse. Amazing on a cold day!

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2019 2:07 PM

R63 It sounds pretty healthy?

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2019 2:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!