Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help! I’m a Straight Guy Who Just Slept With My Gay Best Friend. Now What?

I have always identified as a straight guy, but I am recently panicked and confused by feelings for my best friend (a gay man), “Greg.” We’ve known each other since college and have always been close. I was at his place recently, comforting him over a breakup; we got drunk and slept together. He didn’t take advantage of me. I remember everything. I initiated it, and he asked several times if I was OK with what we were doing. I had to leave early the next morning for a work emergency, so I left him a note (along with a glass of water and some aspirin) explaining why I had to leave. I also texted him the same information, just in case. But he concluded I was angry with him, texted me an upset-sounding apology. He worried that it was his “fault” and that I wouldn’t want to be friends anymore. I tried to reassure him. His response was conciliatory but brief.

I decided to talk to a friend about what had happened. She was excited to hear we had “finally” slept together and started talking about how long Greg had been “in love” with me. She asked if I’d told him I felt the same way. I was stunned. It turns out that she and another mutual friend have known that Greg has had serious feelings for me for years, and that our whole friend group has been waiting for me to “figure out” I’m bisexual because I’m “obviously into Greg.” This is all news to me! I can’t stop thinking about it, and I am putting off replying to a message from Greg asking to meet up because I don’t know what to say.

I barely even know what I’m asking here. Can you come out as bisexual when you’re only really into one guy, and in your late 20s? Have I destroyed my most important friendship by unknowingly messing with Greg’s feelings? Is it worth risking hurting him more by asking if he wants to try a relationship with someone so confused about his sexuality? I am definitely attracted to him, and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever cared about someone as much as I do him. I literally received another message from him asking if we’re OK while writing this question, so please advise in any way you can!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2019 1:53 PM

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2019 1:03 AM

You’re bisexual. Just go for it. Heck, I didn’t come out until I was 29.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2019 1:03 AM

get that cock gurl

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 1:04 AM

[Quote]Heck, I didn’t come out until I was 29.

Similar, r2. I didn't have my first experience with cock until this year, at age 38!

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2019 1:09 AM

Keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 1:13 AM

Dear Prudence is where people send BS questions in the hope they were get published.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 1:14 AM

This is somewhat easy. You both were drunk. So meet him and say “ we were both drunk, let’s just say, I didn’t hate it...And you’re my best friend... “. You need to decide if you’re more than friends. You didn’t say, how was it?

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 1:16 AM

And it never occurred to him to just speak to Greg and not the whole fucking world? Run Greg run.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 1:18 AM

Looks like it'll have to be clarified once again that OP wasn't the one who sent the story in, and that it's a copy & paste.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2019 1:19 AM

Now what? Well for starters, quit calling yourself straight. The least you can do is use a different label, since that seems important you.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2019 1:28 AM

I've always found 'bisexuals" to be the most homophobic. In this day and age, if you are attracted to a man (men), stop being so fucking weird. Have sex with him. Fuck the spectrum, you're not into pussy. Just stop kidding yourself. By 29 you should know who you are.. You must be from a small city in the midwest. Break free and enjoy your authentic life. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 1:32 AM

The straight guy took advantage of Greg, like they always do.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 2:06 AM

Bicurious "friends" also need to fuck off and sort their own lives out. Gay men are not a test facility for what your future wife will do.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 2:20 AM

R13 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 2:28 AM

It would be very awkward if "Greg" found out that his best friend was asking an advice columnist about their sexual exploits instead of talking to him about it directly. That right there would be a friendship breaker for me and the bi dude deserves it if Greg cuts him off. I also hate these advice column questions because you never get a follow up. It'll always be a mystery whether the dude ever got into a relationship with his friend or not.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 2:44 AM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 3:52 AM

Now What? Now stop calling yourself straight.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2019 4:08 AM

What’s with all these trolls lately playing on everyone’s emotions. These people are sick. No wonder trolls suck. They make shit up, which in turn devalues everyone’s veracity to their stories.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2019 4:14 AM

If true, this will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2019 10:30 AM

Bicurious men need gay men r13. I don't know why gay men have this hostility inside them. Why not help a guy sort out his attractions and have fun at the same time. IT's win / win!

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2019 2:38 PM

r20, I agree to an extent, but go to a club and pick up a guy being honest about the situation. Having sex with a close friend is potentially being a user and very hurtful to said friend.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2019 2:46 PM

Erroneous Straight Tale.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2019 3:34 PM

Now we hit the FF button.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2019 3:48 PM

Please describe your anus in vivid detail

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2019 3:51 PM

Correction: You were a straight guy. You are probably gay or bi but I wouldn't sweat it either way. All you did was fuck.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2019 3:55 PM

Sort of R25

If Greg was actually his best friend, then they are kind of at a crossroads.

It could easily become a very intense relationship given that they've spent years as best friends and know all about each other--they're just adding sex/being honest about their feelings.

If they were 19, I'd say he's confusing feeling comfortable with his gay friend with being comfortable with gay sex, but at age 29, that's no longer an excuse.

If the female friends are thinking "when will they figure this out?" and if Greg has been crushing on him hard, then there's not a whole lot to figure out--they are in love.

I suspect that if this is not an EST of Prudence, that he knows damn well he's in love but is scared to admit it.

Big difference between "I got drunk and let a guy blow me" and "I had intimate passionate sex with my best friend."

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2019 4:15 PM

He never said who was the top!!

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2019 5:40 PM

The glass of water and aspirin suggests this is not only an EST, but one drafted by a senior citizen.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2019 5:48 PM

How much booze was involved.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2019 5:55 PM

. = ?

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2019 5:55 PM

First off, who was top and was bottom? Also, how the fuck does a “straight” guy know how to come to a gay website and ask for advice? Can you give us an answer OP? Can you? Why do you have to come on here and lie to us? Are you going to be able to give us an honest answer? Are you OP? Go ahead OP? Tell us why you have to lie. Tell us.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2019 7:14 PM

Say goodbye and say hello

Sure was good to see you

But it's time to go

Don't say yes but please don't say no

I don't want to be lonely tonight.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2019 8:04 PM

R11 and R13 Just because you are not bisexual it does not mean that other men cannot be bisexual, or that being bisexual is rare, etc. These are the exact same BS claims people have said about gay men for centuries and decades. Let's be honest here, if a hot bisexual or bi-curious man who was your type was flirting with you or wanted sex, you would have your legs in the air or be on your knees for him faster than flies on shit.

Also what about the large number of gay men who just use other gay men, and bisexual men and then move onto the next guy? R13, there are bisexual men who marry other men. I know two bisexual men who have been together for over 20 years and they married each other. By that logic you would not have sex with a gay man who is a first timer because you would be a 'test subject' for what he does with his future husband.

R20 Because these boring old queens on this site are jealous and wish it had happened to them, and they have very outdated viewpoints on sex and relationships that are not in reality at all.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2019 1:58 AM

This is the reply given by the advice columnist if you did not click on the link in the OP.

A: I have so much good news for you (You’re doing fine! You do not need to keep apologizing for having sex it sounds like you enjoyed, with a friend you trust and find attractive; your hookup sounded complicated and flustered on a number of fronts but nothing that can’t be ironed out by an in-person conversation), but only one piece of advice: Talk to Greg! Talk to Greg, and only Greg, about this. Not the rest of your friends, not to me, not to trustworthy-looking strangers on the bus who look like they have a lot of wisdom to share. Just Greg.

You are allowed to come out as bisexual in your late 20s. You are allowed to come out as bisexual if you’re only attracted to one of your friends named Greg and haven’t first run a hypothetical attraction test on all the other men in the world. Asking a friend to go out with you is not hurtful. It’s a risk, I suppose, in the sense that asking out anyone is a risk, but it’s not such an inherently risky proposition that you shouldn’t do it. Talk to Greg in person, make it clear that the morning-after work emergency was real and terribly timed and not just an excuse to avoid having a post-sex conversation with him. Tell him that you’re attracted to him, that you care about him, and that you would be interested in going on a date or having sex again or whatever else you’re interested in exploring with him, then ask him how he feels. You don’t need to preface your feelings with speculation about his, like, “I know you probably don’t want to date anyone so soon after your breakup” or “Sarah thinks you’ve been in love with me for years.” He knows that you haven’t dated guys before, so you can let him decide whether that’s a “risk” he cares to run. You don’t have to take yourself out of romantic contention just because he’s the first man you’ve slept with. Good luck having the talk. I hope it goes well, and keep us updated!

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2019 2:01 AM

R28 Lol

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote] If true, this will end in tears.

If true, this will end in the "concerned straight guy" creating a Grindr account. As well as disco balls, massage tables, and crystal meth up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 3:29 AM

If true this will end in earrings, and caftans for Greg.

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2019 11:33 AM

Why the need to put a label on it? Maybe you're bi, who knows. Does it matter? What matters is you have feelings for your best friend. Explore those feelings, you have nothing to lose. Love is love.

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2019 12:29 PM

Dude, you should just chief it out with your bro and then never mention it again. Peace out.

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2019 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!