Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Getting rid of toenail fungus?

Is there a way to get rid of it naturally? It’s under both of my big toenails. Years ago I had it and used a vinegar soaked cotton ball every day for 15 minutes. But the nail head come off at that time.

by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2019 3:08 PM

I chopped my toes off. It’s the only foolproof method.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2019 7:48 PM

You can't. Thread closed

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2019 7:49 PM

Tea tree oil is good for that. Use a q-tip instead of a cotton ball.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2019 7:51 PM

was going to tell you what r3 posted. It might take a while but TTO works

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2019 7:56 PM

Dude. I have tried it all. My right big toe. And now moving to others. Left is fine. I know I got it my gym ten years ago when I was working out twice a day and showered there.

I have tried everything. Nothing works

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2019 7:59 PM

OP, I dropped $600 for six weekly laser treatments. That did nothing.

Go with one of the cheaper methods that also do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2019 8:02 PM

I’ve tried everything. First time, years ago, I used Lamisil and it worked beautifully. Nails were clear for ages. The fungus returned about four (?) years ago. The Lamisil and similar drugs no longer work for me. I’ve tried all the folk/natural remedies. No luck. It’s really depressing. It’s on every nail of my right foot. Left foot is clear, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2019 8:03 PM

I read somewhere that it is due to having a candida yeast infection, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2019 8:06 PM

I know a womEN with a weakened liver got her doctor to prescribe something for toe fungus. Dangerous, because she is a heavy drinker.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2019 8:07 PM

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? It paints on like toenail polish but it’s medicated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2019 8:08 PM

Lamisil cream works for me. Rub well into nail bed and surrounding area twice daily until it clears, after that try to keep a maintenance routine of at least one night per week.

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2019 8:12 PM

The anti-fungal meds are expensive and toxic to the liver but they work. Unfortunately, for me it comes back 6 months to a year after I stop the meds. I read somewhere that certain people are more susceptible to it and it never really goes away. But I have heard about people who have gotten rid of it for good.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2019 8:12 PM

Plantar warts are worse. Count your blessings, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2019 8:13 PM

How about this stuff? It gets good reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2019 8:15 PM

Is there a fungus among us?

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 1:55 PM

Soak your feet with a half cup each white vinegar and baking soda for an hour every day. See a qualified nail technician to cut away all the debris. Make sure you dry between your toes and your whole foot completely with a hairdryer. Somebody said it’s also wise to throw away all of your shoes that could be infected with fungus.

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2019 1:45 PM

Throwing out all your shoes sounds harsh, but as long as OP is serious about committing to a course of treatment then it’s a good idea. Buying all new socks would also be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2019 1:53 PM

One other recommendation I have heard is not to reuse your nail clippers without sanitizing them. The fungus will stay on the clippers and infect your nails again. I guess a dip in alcohol or fire might do the job.

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2019 2:04 PM

Forget all this folk remedy/home cure bullshit. Go to your doctor and get some generic Lamisil tablets or some generic Diflucan tablets

The scripts are less than $20

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 2:26 PM

We’ve already discussed this.

Jublia is the only thing that works.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 2:31 PM

That's not fungus, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Awww poor baby ^^.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 2:34 PM

You can't get rid of it and in a few years you'll look like this....

We'll stick you in a tent and charge two bits a'gander

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 2:39 PM

Nothing worked for me because it wasn't fungus, as they found out when they tested. I have apparently some iron and other defiencies, my nails break easily and discolor. It's ugly and I can't get rid of it. I regret the times I took lamisil because I had bad reactions to it (skin rashes, stomach issues for weeks).

Get your nails tested first If you haven't OP.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 2:43 PM

I use miconazole spray (not powder) on my feet every day, and also put terbinafine ointment on the affected toe and underneath the nail as far as I could reach every night before bed. After about six weeks I could see new nail coming in that wasn't discolored. I'm at 18 months of doing this and the brownish part of the nail has almost completely grown out.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 2:43 PM

Why do you folks persist in this home remedy charade? There are no blood vessels in toe nails, none of these remedies work. The only way is via prescription. It works.

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2019 2:53 PM

My podiatrist told me to just soak my toes in Listerine, only the original kind, the yellow-ish stuff. Worked really fast.

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2019 3:10 PM

I disagree R26. I had some toenail fungus over 10 years ago and the doctor prescribed me those pills. They weren’t covered and we’re going to cost me over 600 bucks and liver test as well. The Dr. cut the nail off and I soaked a cotton ball in vinegar every day and taped it to the affected toe for 30 minutes. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 3:08 AM

Find a foot fetishist who will suck your toes

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 3:09 AM

Here is some helpful information

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2019 5:07 AM

I had this on both large toenails. The terbinafine nail varnish worked eventually, but what really clears it up was spending time in the ocean all summer. It tends to come back in winter, and I suspect it's my shoes and boots, but I keep it at bay by cutting the nails super-short and using the nail varnish.

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2019 5:21 AM

Is it painful? I assume no. So who cares really?

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2019 5:29 AM

Perhaps you should get rid of your old shoes R31?

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2019 6:32 AM

OP, pee on your feet, in fact, invite your friends over for a pee night to rid your toe fungus.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2019 7:03 AM

Do you have to do that every day R34?

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2019 7:46 AM

Eeeeeeew!

by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2019 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!