Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have You Ever Seen These Food Channel Christmas Baking Shows?

Do these people actually know how to cook? I swear they just picked them up off the street. Ugly, crumbling cookies, half the people need to throw away their dough and start all over again. They underbake, they crack their isomalt. The network seems to have run out of people who have actually baked before.

Then there are the people who put their “heritage” in all of their baking. “In a salute to my Mexican heritage, I put jalapeños in the cookie dough ..... habanero in the frosting...topped with a black bean...” Or “I was raised by my grandma and (tears) I still remember her lutefisk...I infused the cupcake with flotegrot pudding....I used potato lefske for the skis...I miss grandma Olsen so much!”

“I was a drug addict and an alcoholic...I made some mistakes...hung out with the wrong crowd...but I turned my life around...thanks to my Polish Mexican Norwegian grandma and my Irish Jamaican Vietnamese grandpa...now I want to open my own cupcake shop....I made for you today a coffee flavored cupcake with cucumber & bacon filling, topped with a cherry & habanero frosting infused with lemon, decorated with orange zest, brandy-soaked carpenter ants and coconut.”

They really seem to have cut the budget for holiday baking shows this year.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2019 4:29 AM

Link or it didn’t happen

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2019 3:32 AM

Boring show

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2019 3:40 AM

I watch them and what pisses ME off is even when they do a stellar job the judges bitch about something the chefs could never have foreseen:

“I really loved your salted caramel orange cinnamon sixteen layer cake frosted with camel’s milk chocolate ganache and topped with candied hazelnuts but I really would liked to have seen you incorporate earthworms into your dessert.”

I almost wish one of the cooks would tell the judges to shove it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2019 3:49 AM

Quite. The American shows are filled with bad bakes, lots of running around and sob stories.

You’ll never get a crisp crust with this weeping.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2019 3:53 AM

Holiday Wars has to be scripted. Someone always stupidly drops something that a toddler could hold.

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2019 3:54 AM

And why wouldn’t you automatically make more dough than you need? It takes seconds to put the ingredients together when you’re an experienced baker.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2019 4:22 AM

Christmas Cookie Challenge is really, really bad. I think they got the contestants from a rehab center

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2019 4:46 AM

I was in a hospital waiting room yesterday and Holiday Baking Challenge (or Championship?) was on the tv and I burst out laughing at one point it was so ludicrous. The contestants really sounded like first semester CC students taking a baking class.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 7:28 PM

I'm watching it right now and there's a contestant named Stephany who's supposedly some master certified baker or something like that, and nearly everything she makes is crap. The judges find fault with something in everything she's baked.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 2:16 AM

Jesse Palmer is pretty to look at while they're baking.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 2:27 AM

I’m watching one now where a cookie being made has to be inedible. The person is using all kinds of molding toppings and using their hands way too extensively in making this cookie a work of art. It’s too shiny. I don’t know what they’re using but I would never eat that thing. Too many glazes and moldings and shards, glitter, sprinkles and fondant. I refuse to eat fondant. Don’t put your damn hands all over my food that much.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 5:19 AM

OP, you sound like a blast to watch TV with.

No, wait, the other b word. Boor. You're boorish.

I don't know why anyone would take these shows all that seriously. Also, they tend to have plenty of gay representation among contestants, judges, and even "Datalounge favorite" Jonathan Bennett hosts one of these things.

And what cooking show DOESN'T have a chef who talks about their previous addiction or whatever. Have you never seen reality TV before?

If you want to complain about pitiful backstories, I dare you to sit through an episode of American Ninja Warriors.

At least some decently hot guy will be doing the course nearly naked.

And yet it'll still suck the life out of you.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 5:41 AM

R12 Great British Baking Show is about *baking*. It's not about faux drama, endless (and quite pointless) running around to make simple bakes. Instead, it's highly organized, everyone baking the same thing for one challenge, then creating something pretty spectacular at the end.

The prize? A cake plate. It's very compelling as you wind up cheering for everyone. There's plenty of gay representation as well. The biggest dramas have been Ruby's personal spat with Paul Hollywood and the poor woman who accidentally wrecked another contestant's bake. She was so upset, she left the competition.

Want to see someone create a lion from bread dough? That's the show. Spun sugar basket weaving. Yep.

The cookbooks by Mary Barry and Paul Hollywood are wonderful. The first baking I've done in years was one of Paul's bread recipes. So easy and simple - my partner asks for it every week.

That's why I hate Food Channel shows and stick with GBBO.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 5:41 PM

And you can eat the food on GBBO. I wonder if fondant is outlawed.

I haven’t seen those “cupcake wars” shows lately. Maybe all the cupcake shops went out of business and there aren’t any contestants anymore. If I ever had a kid I’d want it to be one of those little gayling chef kids from Chopped. They’re unbelievably sophisticated with their cooking. I’d just sit back and let that kid shop & cook for me every day. I’ll do the cleaning up.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2019 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!