Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Redneck Metamorphosis

Anyone from the South noticed a hardcore move among conservatives to out redneck each other in the last 5-10 years? I’ve noticed men who used to be preppy and wear Polo shirts etc now dressing like an extra from Giant, “all hat, no cattle”. Women who used to aspire for a Pottery Barn living room, now hang deer heads and H❤️ME signs; they used to want Mercedes SUVs and now want big ol Ford & Chevy SUVs to carry around their klan. Oh and they hunt together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2019 3:30 AM

I just want to say I love the redneck look on good looking white people. Just as I love bohemian looks on black people and exoticals. The couple in the OP's photo look fierce. Pretty white people look so good in that chic cowboy/cowgirl getup to me. My god, I cannot wait to be a filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2019 10:49 PM

R1 they look like they’d vote to lynch your gay ass

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2019 10:54 PM

They are basically just the Southern version of hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2019 10:55 PM

r2, No they don't. You sound ignorant as fuck. There ware white liberal rednecks btw. And even those who are more conservative can still be chill as fuck. Sit down you insufferable Mary.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2019 10:57 PM

my post should read there are" white liberal rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2019 10:58 PM

I blame that whore Joanna Gaines and her shiplap movement.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2019 10:58 PM

Blame Mossy Oak and Yeti.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 10:58 PM

R4 You’re an idiot. They all love Trump to fit in with the rest of the Chic Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2019 10:59 PM

R7 what doesn’t make sense? Your dyslexia?

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2019 11:00 PM

Half the country voted for trump. Most Trumpeters aren't down with lynching. Many trumpsters only voted for him because they couldn't vote for Hill, as delusional as that was. I know black, asian, and latino 'trumpeters."

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2019 11:01 PM

Look like Ralph Lauren can make a comeback with his boho, hippie, prairie , native American crap again

Circa RL 1980s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2019 11:02 PM

R10 HI, half the country did not vote for Trump. Of those who voted - 3 million more voted for Hillary Clinton so lets put that little lie to bed. 62 million for Trump 65 million for Clinton. There are 240 million people of voting age, so the correct verbiage is of those who voted in the last election, less than half of them voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2019 11:12 PM

r12 stfu you insufferable cunt. You know wtf I meant and the point I am trying to convey. 65 million Americans aren't down with lynching.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2019 11:15 PM

No, but I don’t live in flyover so I don’t see people like that anyway. Nobody dresses like they’re on Hee Haw where I live, not even conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2019 11:19 PM

R12 Since you want to get pedantic. Statistically, neither Trump NOR Clinton, manged to get half of the country to vote for them. 46.1% voted for Trump and 48.2% for Clinton. Also, you have to take into account that Clinton's 3,000,000 extra votes virtually all came from one state, California.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2019 11:23 PM

Well, this thread is going well.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2019 11:25 PM

r15, Go the fuck away you obnoxious troll. You are derailing this post with your matter of factness. You need to get fucked, you autistic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2019 11:27 PM

R17, R12 started it

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2019 11:30 PM

The Deplorables Apologist is on another thread saying that Trump should be named Time Magazine's Person Of The Year 2019.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2019 11:32 PM

Oh Honey, White Trash don't look HALF as good as in that photo, * snort*. You're forgetting all about the meth, consumed cases of beer, trailer-park existence, and stained Wal-mart wife-beaters. Ralph Lauren Coture my Ass!

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2019 11:34 PM

I’ve seen this in Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2019 11:35 PM

actually r10 started it with that half the country bullshit. Lets be real fucking honest. Sixty Two (I will type it out since you have problems understanding numbers) million voted for a man who was openly RACIST, Homophobic and Mysoginystic. Sorry, you don't get to vote for Hitler then claim you are not into gassing the jews. If you voted for Trump AFTER hearing him be a racist fuck - you are a racist fuck.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2019 11:36 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2019 11:57 PM

I thank it's all causa us Jack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2019 3:15 AM

Yeah, in my private school in Alabama, everyone was preppy until about age 13 or 14. And then it became mullets, dip cans, jacked up trucks, and Republicanism. I don’t know what happened.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2019 3:23 AM

R1 I agree.

[quote]they used to want Mercedes SUVs and now want big ol Ford & Chevy SUVs to carry around their klan.

And trucks now too. I'm seeing so many big expensive trucks. As well as Wrangler and Gladiator Jeeps.

by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2019 3:31 AM

I'm guessing part of it is the whole anti-"elite" thing they're trying to do now. Wealthy Republicans know the snobby preppy stereotype wasn't serving them well, so they're all embracing the aesthetic of working class Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2019 3:38 AM

R27 the women want it all. Shopping trips in NYC and hunting trips to kill deer. Prada purses and Yeti coolers.

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2019 3:57 AM

Remember, hunting has become a thing for many millennials. I remember Mark Zuckerburg saying he only eats meat that he kills, himself.

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2019 4:03 AM

probably has an abbatoir in the basement where he slaughters techies who fail their performance reviews and makes confit de geek

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2019 4:15 AM

I like the New England outdoors look better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2019 6:59 AM

This is what a real cowboy wears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2019 4:49 PM

most of the good ole boy rednecks I knew have metamorphized into this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2019 6:08 PM

OP's pic does not represent "rednecks". Those are models wearing expensive designer western wear. This is what I see wealthy folks in Houston wearing during the rodeo and livestock show, a huge event with tons of Houston's elite in private venues onsite sipping wine and nibbling cheeses and gourmet bbq. A true redneck is what R33 posted.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2019 7:59 PM

They're dressed like many rich couples visiting Jackson Hole, WY.

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2019 8:03 PM

The hillwilliams where I live are all into that Vineyard Vines, salmon pants look.

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2019 8:33 PM

Millennial men love costumes. It's how they pretend to be men.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2019 9:53 PM

This is more about middle to upper middle class who had some class but abandoned it to try to be country as fuck to fit in with the Hillbilly Republican agenda.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2019 10:31 PM

Westworld cosplay

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2019 10:32 PM

The lower and middle classes have adopted what they think are upper class names for their children, and they now dress in ways they believe are upper class. It reminds me of the 1990s when my Mexican sister-in-law (illegal when my brother married her) redid their house tip to bottom in "English Chintz" from K-Mart. Aspiration. It's the American Way.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2019 7:14 PM

I'm from Texas and old. Time was, anybody with money had a deer lease and a duck lease. The men went to the leases and hunted, or they belonged to ancient hunt and fishing clubs with toothless retainers who rowed the boats and toted the guns. Now, those families do not hunt. They go to NYC or Paris. They operate their own charity schools in Africa and Haiti. Times change, and the upstarts are always steps behind.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2019 7:17 PM

They're tryna pretend they're "quality", R40.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2019 7:35 PM

It's redneck/Repub solidarity. My 52 year old bought a Jeep during Obama's tenure, named it "The Duke", with an American flag and bullet hole decals. He lives in metro Orlando and is an insurance adjuster, his wife an attorney from Siberia. He gave blood to the "Pulse" night club victims and virtue signaled on FB all day, posting selfies while waiting in line to do his patriot duty. Totally up Trump's ass and brags that he has a gay sister.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2019 7:40 PM

*52 year old brother*

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2019 7:41 PM

R43 I bet when he gets pissed at you he refers to you as “my fucking Dyke sister”.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2019 7:33 AM

[quote]The lower and middle classes have adopted what they think are upper class names for their children, and they now dress in ways they believe are upper class. It reminds me of the 1990s when my Mexican sister-in-law (illegal when my brother married her) redid their house tip to bottom in "English Chintz" from K-Mart. Aspiration. It's the American Way.

It's curious, yes, but a reminder that there's always an instinct among people where someone has emigrated to expect people to remain the image of the country they left for whatever reasons.

We laugh at refugees who wear clothes emblazoned in cheap knock-offs of flashy designer logos made even bigger and even flashier than the Versace and D&G and LV goods they emulate (sort of); it's as if we expect they will wear folkloric costumes of Syria or Afghanistan or The Sudan.

The judges on Top Chef never stop chiding the Michelin-starred chef named Zhao whose speciality is classical French food: why won't she cook the food of the Chinese grandmother she never knew? Why is she interested in being anything other than the judges' impression of a what a "Chinese" chef should be?

We lead off asking questions like "Where are you from?" to people who have the same accent of the country where they live simply because they look somehow exotic.

We criticize blacks who are not black enough or too black, gays who are not gay enough or too gay, immigrants and the grandchildren of immigrants who are insufficiently or too assimilated.

If the once illegal Mexican sister-in-law had decorated her house in the U.S. in intense colors of a serape blanket and Dia de los Muertos motifs would that have been better? More authentic? Maybe she just wanted to embrace a new place and the opportunity of change, or wanted not to be the stereotype expected of her.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2019 9:55 AM

^So, your house has a lot of "English chintz" I gather.

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2019 10:16 AM

In Australia, over the past decade, there has been a lot of middle to upper class people trying to out do each other with who could be the most 'larrakin' 'down-to-earth' person possible.

A lot of men have changed the way they talk - not speaking as well as they use to, despite coming from good backgrounds and being well spoken.

Everyone is trying to be more 'Australian' and not be called 'unAustralian'.

It's now at the point where people don't mind sounding stupid, as long as the seem to come across as 'down to earth'.

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2019 10:21 AM

I have a theory that as women are advancing and men are losing the ability to use money & providing as their primary masculinity achievement, that anti-intellectualism has become a way of seeing who can be the biggest knuckle-dragging Cave Man to prove themselves. Hunting, chugging beers and macho behavior is becoming to be of a more peacock variety. A lot of women now want a Kardashian lifestyle, if you know you can’t provide that, well... show what a man you are and that you can fuck like a baboon. It’s all the pursuit of pussy. Remember for straight men it ALL comes back to pussy. Many a war has been fought, many a man robbed & killed because another man wanted to prove something because he wanted some pussy. That’s why they hate us, as gays we removed ourselves from the whole barter system they have going, which women are ultimately in control of... “oh you want pussy, I want a Maserati.”

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2019 10:32 AM

"Be gone, Bitch -- your pussy has no power here!"

by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2019 10:36 AM

R45, my brother once asked me why "butch" lesbians seem so angry all the time, while complaining he and his bros got attention at the club from only 1 "chick" and she was fat.

by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2019 5:21 PM

R49 gets it right. Note how many men are sporting beards now.

by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2019 5:23 PM

R46 - in a way, yes. I'd ask her to take me to the Mexican border where I could buy things I liked. She considered anything indigenously or culturally Mexican, hideous. (Except the clay olla for making beans. Even she never gave hers up.) I wasn't being critical. She loves her redo's, and now she's into MidCentury Modern.

by Anonymousreply 53December 13, 2019 7:07 PM

To be fair, R53, who really wants their house to look like their mom's kitchen in the 80s and 90s, no matter where they're from?

You're seeing it through a very different lens than she is. Remember, most people came here because they wantEd something else that they couldn't easily get where they came from.

Why aren't you happy with and proud of your Granny's hand-tatted armrest and headrest covers on your dad's vintage 1982 orange floral recliner?

by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2019 7:15 PM

They've been around forever. Just with social media you can see what people in small towns and the south dress like!

by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]when my Mexican sister-in-law (illegal when my brother married her) redid their house tip to bottom in "English Chintz" from K-Mart. Aspiration. It's the American Way.

If I were living in Mexico, I'd decorate with Mexican tile and native crafts. If I were in Italy, I'd probably do the same.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2019 1:47 PM

r48, I notice that in America too. People would rather be seen as stupid and down to earth, than intellectual, and snobby. Its down right sickening. Its because too many of the have not or dummies have reproduced. For the most of the 20th century it was the other way around, but all thats hit changed in the late 1900s. The dumb masses dictate culture now.

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2019 2:13 AM

R57 so therefore... Trump

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2019 3:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!