Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

William Haines

Have we discussed La Haines before?

I find his story fascinating. Would think it would be a great film or TV show, especially if given the Me and My Shadow treatment (two actors playing him at different ages).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2020 9:49 PM

Ripe for a biopic!

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2019 2:56 PM

Unfortunately it will probably fall into the hands of Ryan Murphy.....

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2019 2:58 PM

Agree - would love to see a tv or film biography. Obscure except for eldergays. But would be fascinating. But then, not sure that James Baldwin has even received a biopic yet - and he’s more we’ll known and more groundbreaking,

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2019 2:59 PM

He's such a part of gay history, especially saying NO to bearding and giving up his career as an actor to stay true to himself and his partner.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2019 3:07 PM

Ahem...

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2019 3:32 PM

My darlings, read William Mann's excellent biography of Billy, "Wisecracker." Highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2019 3:42 PM

I have, R6, and concur.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 11:40 PM

7 replies in total for Billy Haines? So sad

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2019 7:19 PM

Many gay men (posters to this thread excluded, of course) are just not very interested in the representation of other gay men and their stories in media, unfortunately. They don't support openly gay male performers. They don't support gay-themed projects in film or TV (unless it's explicitly erotic). They're not interested in their own history.

It saddens me, too. I'm not sure why more gay men rally around so-called female "divas" (regardless of the diva's orientation) than around content/performers that are specifically gay and male. Maybe younger gays will change that.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2019 7:45 PM

I just finished reading "Wisecracker." What a great story. Billy and his partner are tremendous Gay role models. Hard to believe they were together almost 50 years when that was totally unheard of. Their story would make a great movie. Billy was also best buds with Joan Crawford, you'll come away with a totally different perspective on her. She's not at all horrible in this book, but certainly has her moments. It's really more about self-confidence and uncompromised principles and just moving forward with your life and not letting others hold you back

I highly recommend it

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2019 7:59 PM

The AMC documentary on William Haines has over a million views on Youtube. There is clearly a lot of interest in his story. If the right producers and director cast the right actors to play William Haines and his lover Jimmie Shields, it could be [italic] the [/italic] defining gay movie of the 2020's. One hundred years after William Haines' film debut and his story is as relevant as ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2019 8:12 PM

Well someone here must now someone? Put in a good word

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2019 3:58 AM

Sadly, his story is not compelling for cinematic treatment because it had a happy ending.

He had the guts to say fuck off to the studio system, reinvented himself as an interior designer (which his friends in Hollywood enabled) and lived happily with his man for 50 years until his death in old age.

There's not enough tragedy or conflict there to drive a movie. He had enough self-esteem and talent not to destroy himself.

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2019 4:12 AM

Every poster on this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2019 5:30 AM

Didn't his partner suicide after his death because he couldn't live without him?

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2019 5:38 AM

Yes, but the movie wouldn't be about him, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2019 5:54 AM

Yes, Jimmie Shields was absolutely devastated when Billy died of lung cancer in December, 1973, saying "It's no good without Billy." He left the many condolence notes friends sent him unopened because he couldn't bear to be reminded that Billy was really gone. Jimmie himself was in poor health by that time and had been displaying early signs of Alzheimer's, which he was still cognizant enough to be aware of. Less than three months later, he wrote a note thanking his friends for their support and comfort, then swallowed an entire bottle of sleeping pills.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2019 5:55 AM

r11 I don't see his beauty or the 'butch'

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2019 6:35 AM

I'd never heard of him before. What an absolutely beautiful story. I would definitely go see a movie of this

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2019 10:12 AM

Excellent book

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2019 1:54 PM

His suicide note said "It's no good without Jimmy". I think it is one of the most beautiful gay love stories we have, and would be a beautiful film, if done right. Which means "anyone but Murphy" in my book.

They had a poodle, died purple, called Lord Peter Whimsey, which would provide some interesting visuals.

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2019 1:58 PM

*dyed, damn it. It could have died purple, though.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2019 1:59 PM

R13 There's plenty of conflict in the story. His early, seedy days in Hopewell and then in Greenwich Village, his years struggling to become a big star in Hollywood, his major popularity and then telling Louis B Mayer off and losing his acting career. Granted, it does have a happy ending (he stays with Jimmie and comes back as an interior decorator), but it's not without its struggles and then the tragedy of being beaten by an angry mob over allegations of Jimmie's pedophilia. There's a lot to work with, it's just a matter of finding a producer who isn't a total homophobe and figuring out how to condense such a heady story into a two-three hour movie. The right creative team could make this one of the best gay movies of all time. It just can't be a screen version of this, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2019 2:25 PM

Has anybody seen any of Haines' films? I've seen three, all from 1928: West Point (co-starring Joan Crawford), The Smart Set and Show People, the best of the three, co-starring Marion Davies and directed by King Vidor. He's very good playing the cocky man-about-town who inevitably gets his comeuppance and redeems himself (though his role in Show People is a bit different); his comedy is very light, and he was as good a physical comedian as any of the other silent stars.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2019 2:40 PM

R3 I'd like to see a James Baldwin miniseries, only if it's in the hands of black filmmakers. I believe black stories should be told by black filmmakers only. Maybe Netflix or HBO, no commercials.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2019 3:54 PM

He's camp as fuck in WAY OUT WEST (30) and NAVY BLUES (30). Required viewing.

His career wouldn't have survived the enforcement of the Code after July 1934, even if he hadn't deep sixed his career with Mayer the year before.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2019 3:59 PM

A treatment like Fosse/Verdon comes to mind, a classic mini series format without the usual Hallmark touches

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2019 3:59 PM

What a sad/beautiful story. Thank you. I never heard this until today and now I want to hear more. What a brave and beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2019 4:02 PM

I don't go to gay clubs, never have it's not my thing. But a gay club in my city has William Haines night every Wednesday, so hes definitely not forgotten where I live. Lots of young people my age turn up for it too.

So he's definitely remembered, probably because of the Joan Crawford connection.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2019 4:05 PM

Ordering the book as I type!

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]A treatment like Fosse/Verdon comes to mind, a classic mini series format without the usual Hallmark touches

But watchable, entertaining, and with an actual point.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2019 4:44 PM

My second posting...I'm loving this guy.

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2019 4:48 PM

R14 Hiss

Hisssssssssss

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2019 9:43 PM

R29 . Where do they have William Haines night? It has to be Palm Springs, right?

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2019 11:21 PM

Sorry, but the only person interested in making a movie about Haines would be Ryan Murphy. And the only people interested in watching it would be a handful of old DL queens, so no, it won't be being made.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 5:47 AM

Class Act is still on my book list. Eventually I'll find it for a reasonable price. I was recently researching the Winfield House (American Ambassador's residence) that Trump and other Presidents have stayed in while visiting London, and Haines had a hand in the design. I would love to watch a film or mini series about him.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 6:00 AM

R34 Forest Lawn

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2019 4:19 PM

I first heard of Billy in Architectural Digest when they would every few years review the all-time great interior designers - going back to the origins of the profession. Some of his rooms were more successful than others (or hold up better today anyway), but I always loved his chic low chair designs. Of course his life-long best friendship with Joan Crawford added to his fame. His work is worth taking a look at:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2019 3:45 AM

R14 If you consider Matt Bomer to be an elder gay, then that's your business, but more than septuagenarian gays think that William Haines' story is interesting and worth doing a movie on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2019 3:47 AM

I'm really surprised this doesn't have 600 replies.

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2020 7:00 PM

Wisecracker is one of my favorite biographies of all time.

If you haven't read it, do it! It's a treat.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2020 7:43 PM

Billy and Jimmy’s former home, was located at 601 Lorna Lane, Brentwood, CA. I know this neighborhood but didn’t know about this house. Today the neighborhood is mostly large boring apartment rental buildings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2020 8:53 PM

I learned about Haines in film school in the 80's at UCLA. He described by the professor as the first leading man movie star. And the professor talked about how he butted heads with Studio Executives and he refused stay in the closet. He didn't give two fucks what anyone thought and he had no real aspirations of being a "Movie Star".

Then to turn around and become a superstar designer in L.A. is pretty amazing. His design aesthetic was more than just sofas and throw pillows. He literally enlarged doorways, added architectural elements and completely changed the architectural style of a home, in some cases. And his style is timeless and stands up today.

Interesting man.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2020 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!