Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do any of you remember that poor Green Beret?

The one who was accused of killing his wife and children? Did they ever exonerate him? Is he still living? I remember him being very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 91February 19, 2020 1:47 AM

there's your answer fishbulb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 2:24 PM

I knew someone who knew one of his fellow inmates. He said McDonald was well liked in prison. He was a doctor, so he tried to help his fellow inmates, although I believe his license was revoked, so he had to be careful. Apparently, he was considered to be a friend to all.

The person I knew also had an interest in true crime and had followed his story extensively. It was their opinion that he was guilty, but very intelligent and therefore able to con people to some extent about it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 2:54 PM

He's still in jail for murdering his family. Apparently recently denied a new trial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 2:57 PM

I don't know what fish bulb means, R1, but thank you. He always seemed very intelligent and attractive to me, so I'm far from convinced of his guilt. He isn't the same gentleman who sang that Green Beret song, is he?

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2019 1:17 AM

I think that was Barry Sadler, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2019 2:55 AM

Barry sings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2019 4:02 AM

What became of Barry?

On September 7, 1988, Sadler was shot in the head while sitting in a cab in Guatemala City. ... Sadler was moved to the VA Hospital in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in February 1989, but he never recovered from his injury. He died there of cardiac arrest on November 5, 1989, four days after his 49th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2019 4:03 AM

I bet Jeff throws a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2019 5:27 PM

I believe him... read up to n Helena Stockley, I think that’s her name

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2019 5:37 PM

What the hell does "intelligent and attractive" have to do guilty vs. not guilty, fishbulb?

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2019 5:47 PM

do with ^

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2019 5:48 PM

An intelligent and attractive man wouldn’t do something like this. Especially an attractive one.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2019 5:54 PM

Dumbass R9, Helena Stokely was a drug addict who barely knew her own name because her brain was so fried. Not a credible witness. Then there’s all the physical evidence that basically lays out what happened.

MacDonald was full of barely suppressed rage, high on amphetamines, and hadn’t slept in something like 2 days. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone other than the four people who lived there were in the house that night.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2019 5:58 PM

My ex SIL was friends with his wife Colette. After McDonald murdered her and the children, her mother offered my SIL some of her things. She politely declined them

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2019 6:04 PM

R14, did she know Jeff? Did she ever say anything about him?

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2019 6:33 PM

R13: Fuckface, on the way to the home, the MP’s saw on blonde headed under a street light and they discovered long, synthetic blonde hairs in the home. She admitted that she had previously worn a blonde wig... druggies do have moments of clarity.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2019 7:28 PM

Fish Bulb!

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2019 7:34 PM

R16, it was a hair from a goddamn doll that one of the kids had. MacDonald tracked their blood all over the house. There was absolutely no one else in the house that night.

He was hopped up on amphetamines and psychotic from not having slept in days. He and Colette got into it about one of the kids pissing in the bed and he killed them all, then cut himself with a scalpel.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2019 8:37 PM

McDonald wasn’t very smart. He had gotten away with it until he virtually taunted the police into reinvestigating the crime. He got Joe McGuiness to write a book about how horribly he had been treated, and McGuiness uncovered further proof of his guilt.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2019 8:49 PM

The prosecutor who tried the case ended up badly. He later went into private practice, eventually misappropriated some client funds to cover up something very minor and it all came back to bite him. He ended up disbarred and in state prison for a couple of years. When he got out of prison he worked as the maitre ‘d at the 42ns Street Oyster Bar in Raleigh.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2019 9:07 PM

I remember watching the miniseries and Gary Cole played him.

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2019 9:20 PM

I do wonder if MacDonald actually believes that he didn’t do it. Could it be that he was in some kind of psychotic daze and doesn’t remember doing it? And that his mind has concocted this hippie story, which is implanted in his brain as his actual memory? I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2019 9:26 PM

R16 thinks acid is groovy

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2019 9:30 PM

Sigh.... some sad thirsty eldergay bitches here, especially OP.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2019 9:32 PM

There was a magazine on the coffee table which featured an article about the Manson family. It inspired McDonald's bullshit story.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2019 9:34 PM

I lived in Raleigh at the time the murders occurred, and since my brother was one of the few hippies in North Carolina at the time, I knew that there were very few hippies in the whole state, and certainly not an organized group of them motivated enough to pull off such a horrible crime.

I recently re-read 'Fatal Vision', and I still believe very strongly that McDonald murdered his wife and daughters in a rage.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2019 9:39 PM

What's especially chilling was the murder of his three-year-old daughter Kristen. I believe he murdered the wife and daughter Kimberly in a speed-fueled rage, but he pulled his sleeping toddler out of her bed and stabbed her to death just to make his story all line up.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2019 9:46 PM

Yeah, had the police not thrown out MacDonald's pajama bottoms, that might have been proven during the trial.

If you look at the crime scene photos, there's a small pool of blood on the floor next to Kristen's bed.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2019 9:48 PM

Anyone read Errol Morris's book about the case?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2019 9:50 PM

IIRC the prosecution said that Colette had regained consciousness and gone down the hall into Kristen's room. That was her blood on the floor. As she was standing over the bed Jeffrey came up behind and hit her with a piece of wood hard enough to splatter blood onto the wall.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2019 9:53 PM

I remember there was a problem with the way the murder scene was staged. There was a coffee table laying on it's side (suggesting it had been knocked over in a struggle) but no matter what the cops did they could not get it to go into that position. It always flipped onto its back/legs up. One of the things that gave the cops a hinky feeling about MacDonald.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2019 9:58 PM

MacDonald claimed he was fighting for life against 3 assailants yet the only things disturbed were a coffee table and a plant. In that tiny living room even Valentine cards on the mantel were sitting upright.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2019 10:03 PM

Fuck you, R24. Explain to me how such a good-looking man could do those things? Why would the good Lord give an evil man such dashing looks?

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2019 10:43 PM

Yes, OP, some hippies broke in, stabbed & clubbed a pregnant woman & two children over & over, while Dr. Jeff received injuries that required a couple of stitches.

I assume this a parody/joke post, otherwise, you're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2019 10:58 PM

MacDonald is a sociopath. Or psychopath. One of those. Anyway, he's guilty as sin. He was convicted of the crime because the EVIDENCE showed him to be guilty. But his supporters aren't much swayed by the evidence. They just kind of believe him. But he has a superficial charm and has always been regarded as sort of "glamorous" personality; an attractive (although not any more) man, a Green Beret, a doctor. He's good at conning people, like sociopaths are.

MacDonald always said that four drug crazed hippies (Manson family types) broke into his small apartment and injured him and murdered his wife and two little girls. Hmm...the drug crazed killers gave him a bump on the head, a few scratches and a very neat, precise incision in his chest that partially collapsed one lung. His wife and children, on the other hand, were butched; skulls cracked open, stabbed dozens of times with an ice pick and a knife. So the drug crazed killers concentrated on killing a pregnant woman and two little girls while leaving the only danger to them, the big strong Green Beret, with relatively minor injuries? Yeah, right. And that's just one of the implausibilities in this case.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2019 11:14 PM

He was fine when he was young. Sick, pathological bastard. I will never understand what possesses white men to murder their entire family. Is it some type of God complex.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2019 11:22 PM

r19 Arrogance or greed is always the down fall of high iq psychopaths. I think it is the universe, in very eastern philosophy way, of balancing things.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2019 11:26 PM

r35, Psychopaths ARE sociopaths who commit murder or any other deviant crime.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote]Explain to me how such a good-looking man could do those things?

You're far too old to act this dim, R33.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2019 11:44 PM

Supposedly he was hopped up on Eskatrol, a highly dangerous kind of speed (Edie Sedgwick took the same thing) when he killed his family. Taken long enough it can cause psychosis. The theory is that MacDonald was arguing with his wife, became enraged (despite being promiscuous, he had a deep seated hatred of women), and clubbed her and their oldest daughter to death. Realizing what he'd done he devised a scheme to make it look like drug crazed intruders had come in and killed his family by stabbing the hell out of his wife and oldest girl; then he went into his youngest daughter's room (a baby), took her out of her crib and laid her across his lap, stabbing her. But before devising this plan, he had another though. A crime scene photograph shows a suitcase sitting outside a closet. There was blood all around it but none on the suitcase. It's been surmised that before giving himself the cut in the chest to make it look like he'd been attacked he was planning to flee.

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2019 11:46 PM

R36, whereas when non-white men murder their entire family, it's perfectly understandable? What does McDonald's race have to do with anything?

Meanwhile, I wish Fatal Vision were available streaming or on DVD. Gary Cole was very handsome in 1984.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2019 12:09 AM

r41, You dumb ass bitch. Non white men very rarely murder their entire family.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2019 12:13 AM

R42, what difference does that make? "Hardly ever" is not "never". This is about a specific crime; the race of the perpetrator is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2019 12:23 AM

R15 No she did not. She knew Collette from high school and lost track of her when she moved off of Long Island. She stayed in touch with Colettes parents.

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2019 10:54 PM

BTW, McDonald isn't the "POOR" green beret...he killed them in cold blood...two babies and his pregnant wife Collette...they were the poor ones, not this cold blooded prick

Good Vanity Fair article from back in the 90s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2019 11:10 PM

An enraged Jeffrey MacDonald wrote a reply in response to the Vanity Fair piece. This is what the very miffed MacDonald said:

"Wow! Robert Sam Anson, with his hatchet job ["The Devil and Jeffrey MacDonald," July], has now joined Joe McGinniss, Janet Cooke, and Stephen Glass in the pantheon of writers who fake their research and then write false articles for money. Amazingly, in a case that is unusually well-documented in court documents, Freedom of Information Act releases, and sworn witness statements, Anson was peculiarly unable to utilize those resources for facts. Instead, he was quick to seize, and even enlarge upon, tired old myths about my case, almost all of which have originated from prosecution sources or Joe McGinniss's pen, and which have been disproved time and again. (While Anson was writing his pathetic litany of falsehoods and innuendo, the Vanity Fair fact checkers were seriously inquiring about the make of the car in a photograph).

Anson had a chance to do a real investigative piece. Too bad for the truth that he chose that pathetic low road, the gossip highway, the pat-the-nice-government-prosecuter-on-the-back-and-collect-the-check style of hack writing. Shame on him.

Oh, and, Mr. Anson, one more thing: when you fake research, perhaps you should learn what your role model, Joe McGinniss (or was it Clifford Irving?), already learned - you need to get at least something correct, or everyone will know. My eyes are hazel - not your mythical "ice blue". Or perhaps you knew, but liked blue better for your fanciful version of the facts."

I've seen interviews and photos of MacDonald where his eyes indeed seem to be "ice blue." At any rate, this is just another example of what an utter piece of shit Jeffrey MacDonald is.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2019 11:42 PM

[quote] There was a coffee table laying on it's side (suggesting it had been knocked over in a struggle) but no matter what the cops did they could not get it to go into that position.

My gut feeling is that McDonald did murder his family. However, I am highly suspect of cops doing this kind of experiment and trying to reverse-engineer it.

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2019 12:04 AM

R47, the table detail is peripheral, no one was getting arrested on the basis of something like that. The other physical evidence was extremely convincing.

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2019 12:15 AM

The prosecution was damn lucky that the police didn't throw out the pajama top along with the bottoms. It was probably their most important piece of evidence.

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2019 12:25 AM

Why on earth would he not have moved to a country without an extradition treaty? He had many opportunities to do so. He could’ve gone after the military dropped the charges, which was a period of several years. He had another chance after his conviction was briefly overturned and he was released from prison. Why the hell would you stay on the country?

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2019 7:02 PM

R50 Hubris

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2019 7:07 PM

Why would he stay in this country? Well, after his family were murdered he lit out for California where he proceeded to live the life of a rich, swinging, bachelor doctor. It was intoxicating to him, a life of sex and money and freedom from annoying things like a wife and children. He loved the California lifestyle. That's one reason why he stayed. He also believed, being a pathological narcissist, that he could get away with it. His ego and desire for the good life (lots of money, lots of pussy) did him in.

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2019 8:36 PM

Here he is with Larry King in 2003, repeating the story for the 500,000th time. Lots of twitching, blinking, and fidgeting. You’d think after all this time, he’d be able to tell it with convincing body language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2019 9:59 PM

His performance on the Dick Cavett show was chilling. All he did was complain about how badly the Army treated him and how incompetent they were. And he cracked jokes. When talking about he and wife wife watching "a late night talk show (on the last night of her life)" he got an amused smile on his face (they were watching Johnny Carson, not Dick Cavett). After being criticized for being on the show, he said it was all his father in law's fault; HE was the one who wanted him to go on the show. Fred Kassab DID want him to go on the show...to ask for the public's help in finding the killers. But all MacDonald did was promote himself and try to be an amusing talk show guest. Looking at the show today, it's clear he's a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2019 11:18 PM

OP is a sick sad queen who can only masturbate to the thought of serial-killing straight men murdering him. We hope he finds his fantasy come true, and soon.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2019 1:16 AM

Irregardless, he’s been in prison far too long. Like 40 years or something. It’s enough. I don’t believe in keeping people in prison that long.

by Anonymousreply 56December 13, 2019 2:03 AM

No prison term is "too long" for the savage murder of a pregnant woman, a little girl, and a baby. He should have gotten the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 57December 13, 2019 3:01 AM

He’s an old man, albeit a very attractive one. What’s the harm in letting him live out his remaining years in freedom? This episode happened 50 years ago. Probably no one else who knew them is even still alive. Time to let it go and move on.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2019 2:36 PM

R58 is ready for some deadly daddy dick action. Doesn't care how old.

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2019 3:57 PM

R58 is a dullard troll, desperately hoping to enrage Dataloungers by insisting Jeffrey MacDonald is "very attractive (oh, brother)" and dismissing his crimes: "let it go and move on." Poor troll.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2019 8:31 PM

To me people like Geoffrey McDonald are worst than terrorists. At least they have principles, and have been indoctrinated to see their principles as normalcy. McDonald has no principles except that a nagging wife, and two toddler babies got in his way of doing whatever the fuck he wanted. What a nightmare. He went "OJ" on two baby girls. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2019 3:00 AM

I don’t understand the need for name-calling. Look, the man has been in prison longer than he was out of it. I just think that we have to move on. None of you people even knew the wife and daughters, so I don’t see what you’re so indignant about.

They are dead. Nothing anyone can do about that. But we can let a poor old man enjoy the last 5-10 years of his life after being locked up for decades. Life is for the living.

by Anonymousreply 62December 15, 2019 9:11 PM

He can murder my mussy anytime!

by Anonymousreply 63December 15, 2019 9:14 PM

Yawn, R62. That's C- level trolling at best.

by Anonymousreply 64December 15, 2019 9:25 PM

[quote] Why the hell would you stay on the country?

Hey, Jeffrey Epstein was a free man while he stayed out of America. Why did he come back?

They never think their luck will run out.

by Anonymousreply 65December 15, 2019 9:39 PM

Drop dead, R64. I’m not a fucking troll. Why don’t you go get fucked with a rusty ice pick?

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2019 1:19 AM

Indeed R66, you ARE a truly pathetic troll, trilling on about poor Jeffrey MacDonald and how he needs to get out of prison and how it all happened so long ago so why get upset about it, just let the poor, dear man be free to live his life. Give it a rest, you poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2019 1:33 AM

I interviewed the judge in the case back in the 90s for a college class. I asked him about the case, and he seemed very sure they got it right, but what else was he going to say?

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2019 1:39 AM

Everybody who listened to the evidence in the courtroom knew they "got it right." The evidence proved his guilt. It was really that simple.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2019 2:10 AM

The judge wouldn't have let you interview him if there was anything wrong about the case.

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2019 2:26 AM

I think the wife let one of the girls piss the parents’ bed all time. Very disrespectful to the husband and it sounds like he had enough of it.

by Anonymousreply 71December 17, 2019 2:02 AM

Wow, a certain poster has taken trolling to the next level. Quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 72December 17, 2019 6:07 AM

MacDonald and Ted Bundy can admire each other in hell, while debating who is a more hard core sociopath.

Handsome sociopaths are more efficient murderers cause they iz so good-looking

by Anonymousreply 73December 17, 2019 6:20 AM

[quote]despite being promiscuous, he had a deep seated hatred of women

This is outrages. Poor womem.

by Anonymousreply 74December 17, 2019 6:33 AM

Dick Cavett later said that during the interview he realized MacDonald was guilty.

by Anonymousreply 75December 17, 2019 6:54 AM

Cavett said MacDonald's "affect" was all wrong, which it was. HEre he was, on a talk show, ostensibly to ask for help from the viewing public in finding the killers (that's why Fred Kassab wanted him to go on the show) and all he does is put down the army and crack jokes and act like HE was the wronged one. He showed not one iota of grief for his murdered family. None whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 76December 17, 2019 7:44 PM

You better stop calling me a fucking troll, R72. Can’t you try and see it from a husband’s point of view? She totally emasculated him by allowing a little girl to piss on his side of the bed, so he had to go out and sleep on the couch. She probably encouraged the girl to do it.

by Anonymousreply 77December 17, 2019 9:05 PM

You're as fucking evil and the psycho murderer MacDonald, troll r77

by Anonymousreply 78December 17, 2019 11:43 PM

Chris Watts is the version of Jeff MacDonald!!!

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2019 2:14 AM

R78 sounds like an angry, man-hating lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 80December 19, 2019 10:10 AM

"Irregardless"?

You grammar trolls are going to just let that one slide? Not even an "oh dear"? *LOL*

by Anonymousreply 81December 19, 2019 11:03 AM

Jeff MacDonald is up for parole in about five months (May 2020)........

by Anonymousreply 82December 19, 2019 11:05 AM

He can come live with me! I bet he throws a mean fuck!

by Anonymousreply 83December 19, 2019 12:26 PM

r81 Irregardless is a word you pretentious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 84December 19, 2019 2:11 PM

"Jeff MacDonald is up for parole in about five months (May 2020)........"

He won't be getting out on parole. In order to get parole you have to express remorse for your crimes. He says he never committed the crimes. No remorse there. So parole is not an option for him. All he's been doing over the years is try to get "new evidence" introduced and get a new trial. But he's had no luck with that because there is NO "new evidence" that would show someone else committed the murders and there's no point in a new trial because there is no reason to have one. He won't be fucking his retarded wife any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 85December 19, 2019 8:45 PM

Irregardless is NOT a word

by Anonymousreply 86December 20, 2019 11:17 AM

OP likes vintage caged meat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 20, 2019 11:23 AM

Isn’t he divoon?!

by Anonymousreply 88December 20, 2019 11:25 AM

I was part of the acid/hippie life way back then and I can tell you that NO ONE ever said things like "acid is groovy." Groovy was a word invented by teeny-booper singers and never, ever, entered the lingo of the guys this psycho wanted to pretend killed his wife.

by Anonymousreply 89December 20, 2019 11:33 AM

R86, yes it is. And it means the some thing as regardless, usually for more pronounced effect. Look it up you dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 90December 20, 2019 2:01 PM

Fayetteville NC Observer, the newspaper in the town where it happened, has done a solid 50th Anniversary retrospective with photos, memories, editorial and more of the longest running court case in American history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 19, 2020 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!