Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alton Brown Opens Up About His 2015 Divorce and Leaving the Southern Baptist Church

Alton Brown has come a long way since his 2015 divorce.

In the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday, the Good Eats star opens up about his split from ex-wife DeAnna Brown for the first time.

“We really went separate ways in our lives,” he says. “We changed, the world changed, and she went one way and I went the other way. I think we’re probably both a heck of a lot better off where we are.”

Alton and DeAnna were married for 21 years, much of which was during Alton’s rise to becoming one of Food Network’s most popular and prolific stars. The two were deeply devoted to their Southern Baptist religion—but their devotion to each other couldn’t go the distance.

Shortly after their split, Brown resigned from the Johnson Ferry Baptist Church, which tried to keep the couple together despite their desire to separate.

His attachment to the church simply “didn’t take,” says the chef, who recently brought back his hit show Good Eats. “There’s too much contradiction for my social beliefs. My social beliefs are far more liberal than what falls under most of the structures of organized religion, and I find that difficult to work with.”

For much more on Alton Brown, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday.

Alton has since decided that he’s “taking a break” from religion. “I don’t have any bad problems with God, but I have problems with religion,” he says. “I’m on hiatus.”

Alton and DeAnna still co-parent their daughter Zoey, 19, a sophomore at Georgetown University, but otherwise don’t talk much.

“We have a great kid in common, so we talk about her and I wish her well,” he says.

Now happily remarried to interior designer Elizabeth Ingram, Alton says he has no regrets about his past.

“I think that you get to a point in life where you realize that regret is really a waste of time in most cases,” he says. “I’m very fortunate to be doing work that I’m good at, and I’m married to a wonderful woman that seems to like me, and so I can’t complain about how I got to there.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2020 1:17 AM

I always thought he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2019 6:55 PM

Someone had mentioned before that he was a fundie, but I didn't believe it. I guess maybe he was, at one point.

But I'm glad to see that he has rejected them, in favor of his OWN beliefs.

Now come out, Alton.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2019 6:57 PM

I've never thought that he's gay, but I do think that he's smart and I'm very glad to see that he's left that stupid church.

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2019 7:03 PM

It must be a lavender marriage. He seems angry, and probably a nasty person when the cameras are off.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2019 8:52 PM

Thankfully he started shaving his head and got rid of that little tuft of hair on the top. I hate it when grown men insist on keeping a little tuft of thin hair right on top.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2019 8:56 PM

R4 - it's well documented that he is indeed a very nasty person off camera. I hate the smug motherfucker - but the cooking industry is full of insufferable cocky assholes. Look at any Top Chef program.

It's like the industry requires you to be an arrogant SOB.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2019 9:00 PM

I'll always remember the interview he gave complaining that no one chef or personality should be able to dominate the Food Network, (referring to Emeril) and now here he is, the face of FN.

Although I did like Good Eats because while entertaining, he always explained how to cook, how to prepare ingredients etc. Like cooking shows used to be.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2019 12:35 PM

He published some letter instructing his 'fans' the proper way to approach him in public. It came off as insufferably high-handed and nasty.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2019 1:34 PM

[quote]Shortly after their split, Brown resigned from the Johnson Ferry Baptist Church

They're a pray-the-gay-away church and I would have sworn he said YEARS ago that he had quit them, when it came out that they were anti-gay.

He's said a lot of really fundie things in the past so this new makeover sounds like the desperation of an aging celebrity, to be honest. There was a whole interview right after Emeril's show was moved off prime time and Good Eats took over where he was as fundie as can be, including saying that he didn't fix food at home, that was the wife's job.

Now he's heavily implying that the wife was part of his fundie past, and I don't buy that, either. He hooked up with some local plastic fantastic bimbo and is obviously on some kind of big PR spree right now, given how often Twitter and YouTube keep trying to force his videos on me.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2019 1:39 PM

For the "I never believed he was a fundie" folks, a whole thread for your browsing pleasure:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote] I did like Good Eats because while entertaining, he always explained how to cook, how to prepare ingredients etc. Like cooking shows used to be.

Food Network brought back "Good Eats."

The new 2019 season, began recently.

[quote] The Return Is Here: Alton Brown Is Bringing Back Good Eats

Guys, this is not a drill. Alton Brown and all of us here at Food Network know that fans have been asking — pleading? — for new episodes of Alton’s famous series Good Eats, and we’re so happy to say that it is finally happening! Alton first announced Good Eats: The Return a few weeks ago, explaining that new episodes are set to premiere on Sunday, Aug. 25 at 10|9c and 10:30|9:30c (that’s right — two new shows every week!). And since then, he’s been sharing sneak peeks of the set and details of what he’ll be cooking.

Alton says that the menu this season will include steak tartare, sourdough bread, icebox cakes and shakshuka, among other must-known recipes. As always, you can expect step-by-step demos of these tried-and-true recipes, along with plenty of Alton’s signature humor, guests you know and love, and, of course, science-y tidbits that only Alton can deliver.

The first-ever episode of Good Eats premiered more than 20 years ago, and since then, Alton’s recipes have been among fans’ very favorites. We know you love his Baked Macaroni and Cheese, his classic Guacamole and his works-every-time chocolate chip cookie recipe called The Chewy. These recipes are timeless hits, and we have no doubt that Alton’s new recipes coming on Good Eats: The Return will turn into go-to staples too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2019 7:02 PM

[quote]I'll always remember the interview he gave complaining that no one chef or personality should be able to dominate the Food Network, (referring to Emeril) and now here he is, the face of FN.

Really? REALLY?

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2019 2:44 AM

[quote]

#MeToo

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2019 2:44 AM

Sorry ... that last post was supposed to have:

[quote]I always thought he was gay.

#MeToo

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote]I'll always remember the interview he gave complaining that no one chef or personality should be able to dominate the Food Network, (referring to Emeril) and now here he is, the face of FN.

That's right, were you the one who linked to it on here? I think DL is where I first saw it, posted after Emeril was moved out of prime time and Good Eats was moved in, and Alton did a HUGE publicity sweep declaring himself the new king of Food Network. That interview you mentioned was hilarious because it became clear he had only said it because of sour grapes. Once HE was the face of Food Network, everything was just fine.

In 2006 he was detained by Kroger for eating doughnut holes out of a box he hadn't paid for, but read any interview of his and try not to drown in the waves of judgement that come from him. A chubby shoplifter with an unearned superiority complex waxing on and on about how he's so much better than everyone else on Food Network. Hilarious.

Did you know he decided before the show even started who he would make the winner of "Food Network Star" -- and he did. But his guy winning was TOTALLY a coincidence, he claimed later on.

Sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2019 1:19 PM

He got bitchslapped by Father Time. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2019 1:23 PM

You could not pay me to watch any of his shows. I'd rather spend a weekend with Guy Fieri.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2019 1:27 PM

I thought Southern Baptists were fat guys who ate Southern Fried Chicken and okra and shit.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2019 1:36 PM

One of the statements made by r17 is true for me, but not both. Definitely not both.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote]I always thought he was gay.

I just found out now that he is married - to a woman! Seemed like a middle aged gay guy to me.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2019 4:39 PM

R8

Where can we find this letter?

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2019 7:07 PM

R21, see R10

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2019 7:19 PM

I don't mind him publicly parting ways with his church. However, he should shut the fuck up about his ex-wife and mother of his child. He's flaunting his new relationship. He's going through a midlife crisis. I did think he was gay. I think the new wife is using him for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2019 7:35 PM

[quote] I thought Southern Baptists were fat guys who ate Southern Fried Chicken and okra and shit.

No, you're probably thinking of Church Of God Holy roller weirdos. The Southern Baptist Convention is actually quite wealthy.

His former church is certainly no country bumpkin church. It is a huge edifice with lots of very wealthy members, of all races and nationalities. They apparently have a large congregation of Latin, Korean and Chinese Baptists as the facility hosts the Korean Missionary Church, La Iglesia en Johnson Ferry, & the North Atlanta Chinese Baptist Church

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2019 7:38 PM

Architectural Digest about AB and his new wife.

[quote] She didn't know who I was, so that was meaningless to her!" Brown good-naturedly laughs. That may seem hard to fathom for anyone who has ever tuned in to the Food Network in the past two decades ...

Supposedly, new wife did not know who AB was when he hired her renovate his apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2019 7:39 PM

Sounds like a lot of married straight men I've known who practiced religion. The only reason he was so involved with the church was probably to keep a religion crazy wife happy.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2019 7:39 PM

He seems like a bitter, closeted man. The church didn't take = they have dirt on him.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2019 9:06 PM

Isn’t Guy Fieri supposed to be a really nice, down to earth person who actually hates his hair but can’t change it because it’s part of his personal brand?

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2019 9:16 PM

R25 Can’t believe that he fell for the oldest trick in the book. “I’m a restaurant designer but I have no idea who Alton Brown is!”

No fool like an old fool, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2019 9:22 PM

He pings to high heaven.

Also sounds like a mess.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2019 9:36 PM

Oh noes R30. He's sooo butch. A quote, proving it: "I’m like a really goofy home ec teacher."

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2019 9:42 PM

And no offense to people’s looks, but his new wife has a very, uh, masculine appearance.

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2019 1:19 PM

R29 every straight guy wants to believe the woman only wants him for him and not their money.

by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2019 1:23 PM

Alton and his wife have been posting cooking/food videos during this very difficult time. What do you guys think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 11, 2020 10:36 PM

He looks kinda hot in the OP photo.

And I always thought he was gay, too. Reminds me of Kelsey Grammer, including the new wife and shit.

by Anonymousreply 35May 11, 2020 10:46 PM

I've watched a number of his cooking videos and appreciate the effort to make the perfect this or that, but after the last one I watched it seemed too much effort and work and so not-fun, I think I will stick with Jacques Pepin.

by Anonymousreply 36May 11, 2020 10:49 PM

His wife reminds me of Annie Leibovitz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2020 1:04 AM

Why doesn't he just become an Episcopalian?

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2020 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!