Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Geena Davis’s career go down the shitter?

Ain’t she some sorta genius?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2024 1:34 AM

When she married that guy who then directed her in that awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2024 5:39 AM

I love her, but she’s had some poor choices in roles. Loved her in Beetlejuice, ALOTO and Long Kiss Goodnight.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2024 5:47 AM

She was lucky she did as well as she did, seeing she was basically a model who crossed over into acting. She has a genuine gift for light comedy (she's very charming in "Earth Girls are Easy," for example), but had trouble establishing herself in genres like action/adventure or serious drama.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2024 5:52 AM

Was it that pirate movie that killed her career? The one with Matthew Modine.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2024 5:54 AM

R4 you’re correct

R3 right! She does well in light comedic roles that can delve a little into drama. Her character has to be kind in nature the whole film. Can’t imagine her playing a convincing villain/antihero.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2024 6:06 AM

R4, yes Cutthroat Island.

Her head got big after “Thelma and Louise” and “A League of their Own”. She wanted to be the main star in all her pictures and have creative input. Post-Thelma, she also wanted to be the female version of Hollywood male superstars and lead action films, which was a big mistake, especially when she started to approach 40.

Her best performance are her ensemble pieces where she could be bit quirky - “Accidental Tourist” and her underrated performance in “Hero” (otherwise a terrible Stephen Frears movie). She wasn’t “everywoman” enough to sustain a leading lady career.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2024 6:08 AM

She’s aging well and doesn’t look like she’s taken too many drastic measures.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2024 6:11 AM

Careers in Hollywood usually don’t last long.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2024 6:12 AM

R6 I forgot about Hero. She’s very good in that.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2024 6:14 AM

Yes. Cutthroat Island by her then director husband.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2024 8:45 PM

I thinks she’s done ok, but should’ve kept playing primarily quirky characters, which is definitely her wheel house. She had a brief renaissance when she played the president in Commander In Chief and won a globe for it, but nothing compared to her 80s and early 90s output.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2024 8:55 PM

Her autobiography is great. Funny and smart like her. So wonderful in her Oscar-winning role as Muriel in Accidental Tourist. She’s bad ass in Long Kiss Goodnight. I agree with others that Renny Harlan ruined her-she says as much in her book. She’s says they became total assholes together.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2024 9:20 PM

I just hope she's not cast in "Book Club Part 3" soon. She's better than that!

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2024 9:29 PM

She did a Family Ties spin-off with Alfre Woodard

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2024 10:04 PM

How could one movie kill her career? That wouldn't happen today.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2024 10:21 PM

Renny Harlin directed the new Strangers remake with Froy.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2024 10:22 PM

Vageena Davis.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2024 10:39 PM

Too tall.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2024 10:39 PM

In 2006 she was on the initial wish list to play Little Edie to Meryl Streep's Big Edie in a feature film that eventually became that HBO TV movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. What would that have been like?

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2024 11:06 PM

Heather Menses

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2024 11:07 PM

The Curse of Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2024 1:27 AM

I love the scene in Thelma and Louise where she is thinking back on how Louise shot the guy. She can't stop laughing and is saying stuff like the look on his face...he wasn't expecting that!

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2024 2:52 AM

“The Long Kiss Goodnight” is a great movie. She definitely could have been a great female action hero had she gotten the chance.

“Cutthroat Island” was painful.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2024 3:14 AM

She made the mistake of being an aging actress.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2024 3:46 AM

[quote] Loved her in Beetlejuice, ALOTO

There no such acronym as ALOTO. Stop being fat and lazy and type.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2024 3:56 AM

She’s had multiple tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2024 3:56 AM

Awesome r12, I didn't know this existed!

Just got the audiobook (which she narrates)

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2024 4:11 AM

How did she get the hersholt award? I read about her foundation but compared to some people who have gotten it (Audrey Hepburn, Martha Raye, Harry Belafonte) and haven’t (Danny Thomas and family, Gary Sinise) her award seem to be given more for the fact that what her foundation does research on (representation) was a hot button issue at the time as opposed to what its actual impact was. I mean St. Jude’s research and treatments have been a big part in increasing the childhood cancer survival rate from 20% to 80%. I know Gary Sinise is conservative but his foundation has raised over $300 million for veterans.

Hell Joan Crawfords TV PSA encouraging women to get the pap test as part of their regular medical checkups has been credited for being one of the reasons why the Pap test became part of the routine medical check ups for women and why cervical cancer cases dropped by more than 80% in years since.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2024 5:19 AM

Firstly, she's a tall woman most of the leading men are quite short. Having to wear mostly panties in Tootsie, she landed Thelma & Louise. I don't think she wanted a career as a girl/ wife/ hooker, so she waited for good projects. I think the mistake actors make is thinking every role is the lead. She is not a leading actor. A wonderful light comedienne, deft at drama and savvy enough to produce projects. Then she went on an Olympic Archery journey, which was so left field. No one knew who she was.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2024 6:11 AM

She refuses to do anal. There’s a huge opportunity for 7ft9 women like her to bend over for short Hollywood producers. She lost out on several roles because of her no back door policy.

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2024 6:19 AM

Audiences found the cheek mole distracting.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2024 6:20 AM

I hate this OP troll.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2024 6:25 AM

[quote] Having to wear mostly panties in Tootsie, she landed Thelma & Louise.

Although her panty scenes were the highlight of Tootsie she already had a very good reputation as the co-star with Dabney Coleman in the critics favorite Buffalo Bill where she kept on her clothes.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2024 6:35 AM

R29, i believe after she wore the panties she won an Oscar which then led to her casting in ‘Thelma and Louise’.

She had an interesting career. She was an ingenue for quite some time and then came supporting roles in bigger films (‘Beetlejuice’ and ‘The Fly’) before Larry Kasdan took a chance her and gave her the part of Muriel Pritchett in ‘The Accidental Tourist’ for which she won an Oscar. She still wasn’t a bankable Hollywood name until ‘Thelma and Louise’ made headlines for its, at the time, ground breaking portrayal of women escaping the clutches of sexist men. That halo didn’t last long unfortunately. ‘A League of their Own” was a big hit, but nothing that came after that move was. After multiple flops (‘Hero’, ‘Speechless’, ‘Angie’, ‘Cutthroat Island’, ‘Long Kiss Goodnight’) and approaching 40, Hollywood kicked her to the curb.

I thought she was stunning during her prime years. Statuesque, beautiful, and smart.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2024 6:55 AM

Magic panties R34!

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2024 7:10 AM

She was no Andie MacDowell

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2024 3:56 PM

Sharon Stone had the fire, charisma and star power Geena lacked, which is why Sharon took Geena’s place as one of the hottest stars of the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2024 4:06 PM

I can't imagine anyone portraying Muriel Pritchett as faithful to the book as Geena did. It was almost as if Anne Tyler wrote the character specifically with Geena in mind.

by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2024 4:16 PM

I blame the overly wide face.

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2024 4:31 PM

ANGIE

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2024 6:22 PM

I've heard she became difficult after her string of successes in the late '80s and early '90s, and she's also super tall and not that versatile.

Credit where it's due -- she is one of the few actors to thank the author of the book on which her Oscar-winning film was based in her acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2024 6:32 PM

She took time off to become an "Olympian" in a sport that is obscure in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2024 6:54 PM

Smart people don't always make the best decisions. Her best decision was Jeff Goldblum, and that fizzled rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2024 7:57 PM

I've always enjoyed Geena Davis. Always pleasant to watch, and I think she's done well with both comedy and drama.

It's a real bummer that the short-lived ABC series "Commander in Chief" didn't last. She was perfectly suited for it, won the Globe, etc... but the change in showrunners and the network prematurely axing it just screwed it over. That could have been a real 2nd act resurgence for her had it lasted at least a good 5 to 6 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2024 12:48 PM

When I was an NP one of our residents dated Geena Davis and there was a picture of the two of them attending a gala from a newspaper tacked onto our bulletin board. All the interns and residents were gaga that the guy got to date Geena Davis. They all adored her. They saw her as gorgeous and sexy, but down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2024 4:27 PM

What's an NP r45?

by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2024 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!