Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Leguizamo Says Patrick Swayze Was 'Difficult' To Work With

John Leguizamo says he still remembers how hard it was to work with Patrick Swayze.

The duo co-starred alongside Wesley Snipes in “To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! July Newmar” (1995), a comedy about three drag queens on a road trip. When asked if the late great Swayze was the “angel” he’s remembered as, however, Leguizamo kept it real.

“It was difficult working with him,” he recalled Thursday on Sirius XM’s “Radio Andy.”

“[He was,] I don’t know, just neurotic, maybe a tiny bit insecure,” Leguizamo added, when host Andy Cohen asked for details. “And then Wesley and I, we vibed because, you know, we’re people of color and we got each other.”

Leguizamo was already an established comedian when he was cast in the part, which he said Thursday he “rewrote” because “that role was nothing.” While that creativity landed him his first Golden Globe nomination, Leguizamo said it made Swayze “mad and upset” on set.

“I’m also an improviser, and [Swayze] didn’t like that,” Leguizamo said. “He couldn’t keep up with it. He’d be like, ‘Are you gonna say a line like that?’ I’d go, ‘You know me. I’m gonna do me. I’m gonna just keep making up lines,’” Leguizamo recalled. “He goes, ‘Well, can you just say the line the way it is?’ I go, ‘I can’t,’ and the director didn’t want me to.”

Swayze revealed in his 2009 memoir, “The Time of My Life,” that this bickering began as early as rehearsals for the film. He recalled Leguizamo’s “hyperactive” horseplay driving him so “crazy” that he screamed at his energetic co-star to “shut the fuck up for once.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 7, 2024 11:33 PM

Isn't Snipes a complete loon despite "the people of color" shared brethrenhood.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 9:01 PM

I took care of him for you, Johnny!

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 9:02 PM

It sounds like John Leguizamo might be the one who is "difficult."

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 9:03 PM

Exactly, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 9:05 PM

Didn’t John also complain about Steven Seagal?

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 9:07 PM

R5 Complaining is his new job/way of getting attention these days. It's not like the public is lining up to see a new john Leguizamo movie.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 9:11 PM

Exhausting

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 9:13 PM

We found Pat very easy to work with.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 9:14 PM

John was brilliant in this movie and should have been nominated for an Oscar.

It’s an iconic film.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 9:15 PM

John is tiresome and needs to be put out to pasture.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 9:16 PM

Not every actor is comfortable with improv. If you're an actor who was trained to memorize and rehearse your lines to perfection, then people like Leguizamo, who change things up in every take, is going to be a challenging pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 9:18 PM

Patrick Swayze never seemed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. I get John Leguziamo mixed up with John Turturro.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 9:19 PM

I bet John is like Mario Cantone — no off switch. Plus, he showed up with that “people of color” attitude.

Patrick was already well known and they were selling this difficult movie on his name. It wasn’t like Tootsie or Mrs. Doubtfire. Straight men didn’t play drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 9:43 PM

[quote]It's not like the public is lining up to see a new john Leguizamo movie.

There's a new John Leguizamo movie?

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 9:46 PM

R5, pretty much everyone complains(ed) about Seagal. That was a world class asshole.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 9:47 PM

I did one day of extra work on To Wong Foo...to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 9:49 PM

I think Leguizamo is talented but lately I've seen his name on other threads with questions about his credibility.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2024 9:51 PM

[quote] I bet John is like Mario Cantone — no off switch. Plus, he showed up with that “people of color” attitude.

The funny thing about John is that he doesn't even know what person of color he actually is. At the beginning of his career, especially his stand-up career, he made audiences think he was Puerto Rican until his own father put him on blast and revealed that Leguizamo is actually Columbian. I remember some talk about John being ashamed of his Columbian roots and preferred to cosplay Puerto Rican instead. There's a lot of issues going on upstairs with this guy.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 10:07 PM

It sounds like they were both difficult for the other because of their different personalities. I believe what JL said - Swayze probably was difficult from JL's perspective. But the excerpt from Swayze's book explains pretty vividly how JL is difficult and a pain to work with for someone like Swayze. None of it seems that serious. This is a nothing tea.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 10:12 PM

A friend of mine was roommates with John years ago here in NYC. He told me John has very stinky feet. I once ran into John at a theater event and told him we have a mutual friend and asked if his feet still stink. He nearly fell over with laughter. My friend is also an independent filmmaker and John appeared in some of his short films before John became well known.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 10:23 PM

Thanks r18

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2024 10:46 PM

Colombian

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2024 10:47 PM

The end result is all that matters here =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote] It sounds like John Leguizamo might be the one who is "difficult."

Apparently I worked with him. Didn't leave much of an impression one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2024 10:57 PM

I must be the only one who thinks that TOO WONG FOO is a bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2024 11:34 PM

You aren't, r25, far from it.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2024 11:38 PM

He needs to date Rebel Wilson so they are more effective at coming up with new material.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2024 11:44 PM

Does JL ever NOT use race or him being hispanic/latino in his conversation? It's so tiring.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2024 11:52 PM

John is 63 years old. He looks younger than he is, but he does not look like a young man.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2024 12:07 AM

I've never seen Too Wong Foo. It hasn't been retroactively canceled?

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2024 12:14 AM

Look up “difficult” in the dictionary and there’s Leguizamo’s picture.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2024 12:18 AM

R25, No. It IS a bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2024 12:26 AM

If Leguizamo was hyper active, mouthy, and flighty (as it sounds like he was), I can't blame Swayze for getting tired of him rather quickly.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2024 12:30 AM

^^^Not to mention the stinky feet.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2024 12:31 AM

Maybe they clashed because they're both HOMOS.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2024 12:31 AM

GIRLS! You're ALL DIVAS!

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2024 12:34 AM

John is an antisemitic SJW. He race baits non-stop going on and on about Latinx and how if he wasn’t cast it was due to racism. This is the same guy who did yellowface and portrayed an Italian. Fuck him. He’s Columbian but pretends to be Mexican. His dad outed his ass.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2024 12:39 AM

Swayze died fairly young of an excruciating disease, so Leguizamo's bitching about the man's work habits decades after the fact seems a bit, shall we say, ungracious.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2024 12:40 AM

r20 It's fun to make stuff up!

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2024 12:44 AM

[quote] He’s Columbian

South Carolina? Columbia Univ.? I'm sorry, it just had to be done.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2024 12:49 AM

John is funny as hell. I've seen his live shows. Being able to improvise could definitely be annoying if you're part of an ensemble and the director says "sure go ahead." Still, John was the best thing in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2024 12:52 AM

R37 it's not "Columbian" but "Colombian". Otherwise, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2024 1:03 AM

What’s that you say, R8?

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2024 1:12 AM

John was definitely the best thing about this movie.

His portrayal of ChiChi Rodriguez was spot-on Latina DRAG.

Wesley Snipes did a fairly good impersonation of a black drag queen, but Swayze was totally wrong for the part.

Patrick's mannerisms were too affected and you can tell he was trying to "act" like a drag queen, rather than actually being one.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2024 1:28 AM

I’m a victim too ya know!

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2024 1:49 AM

Didn't John recently "disowned" his performance in 2WFT4E, JN? There was a thread about it within the last 2? years.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2024 1:56 AM

Stockard Channing made the movie for me!

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2024 2:06 AM

Vida wanted everything to be happy, copacetic and fair all the time. She was very, "Live Laugh Love" "Dance like no one's watching".

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2024 2:24 AM

[quote] Didn’t John also complain about Steven Seagal?

In fairness, who wouldn’t?

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote] This is the same guy who did yellowface and portrayed an Italian.

Yellowface AND whiteface?

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2024 2:38 AM

Yellowface? I thought I had an olive face?

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2024 2:42 AM

Swayze was a deeply closeted homosexual. He had a lot of issues on the set.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2024 2:47 AM

I liked the movie and loved all the performances. I watched a reaction of the film by 2 modern day drag queens and they loved it. So, not cancelled, though it would not matter at all if it was.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2024 2:48 AM

Patrick was a wonderful dancer.

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2024 2:53 AM

Irrelevant has-been try-hard says what?

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2024 2:54 AM

I really dislike it when people speak ill of the dead, they're not around to defend themselves. There is one exception, when Trump dies have at it with no guilt.

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2024 3:13 AM

I jerked it to John in Summer of Sam more times than I can count. I never found Patrick to be hot. John gets a pass.

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2024 3:44 AM

R52- John Leguizamo is a homosexual tho not AS deeply closeted as Patrick Swayze.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2024 4:03 AM

R58 I have always thought that all three of them were closeted.

Wesley Snipes has never managed to keep a relationship with a woman for the long-term. I'll bet there are stories that some guys in prison would be able to tell from his time in lockup.

John Leguizamo screams bisexual Latino to me.

And I'm not sure what rumors were surrounding Swayze, but they were definitely there.

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2024 4:11 AM

TO WONG FOO is a terrible movie.

Drag queens who go to bed in female drag? What straight idiot thought that was a good idea? I didn't laugh once, it is a laborious, unfunny movie. The script really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2024 5:05 AM

Out of all of them I think John was the prettiest drag queen. Maybe Patrick was jealous.

by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2024 5:09 AM

Agreed, R60.

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert was a far superior movie about drag queens, than To Wong Foo.

TWF was a boring American take on drag, whereas Priscilla was all about the dark humor and cuntiness of drag.

Both were movies about drag queens on a road trip, but the scripts, the acting and the writing were just worlds apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 5, 2024 5:14 AM

Sorry.

This trailer is better than the one at R62.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 5, 2024 5:16 AM

[quote]And I'm not sure what rumors were surrounding Swayze, but they were definitely there.

Every popular, attractive actor has had gay rumors about him (i.e. wishful thinking).

It comes with the territory.

Personally, I don't believe he was.

Why do some DLers believe otherwise?

Because he was a dancer?

His mother was a professional ballerina/instructor and taught Patrick from the time he could walk.

But growing up, he gravitated toward sports, mainly football

by Anonymousreply 64May 5, 2024 5:27 AM

^ for the pileups & the showers

by Anonymousreply 65May 5, 2024 5:50 AM

[quote] I really dislike it when people speak ill of the dead, they're not around to defend themselves. There is one exception, when Trump dies have at it with no guilt.

So, by that logic, it upsets you when people speak ill of Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot.

by Anonymousreply 66May 5, 2024 5:54 AM

Patrick S. was always difficult to work with in part due to his dad the Govenator.

by Anonymousreply 67May 5, 2024 7:48 AM

[quote] Patrick Swayze's Brother Responds After John Leguizamo Starts A Posthumous Feud With His Former Co-Star

While Leguizamo did preface his comments with respect, saying that he loved Swayze, this still wasn’t received so warmly. Sean Swayze, the Ghost actor’s brother who also works in the entertainment industry, revealed to TMZ that he did remember having conversations with his late brother about Leguizamo.

Sean was able to confirm that the actors did indeed clash on To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. However, he did protest his brother being labeled as difficult, as Sean had never heard of an ill word spoken about Patrick Swayze on that set or any other.

Sean Swayze also recalled meeting Leguizamo later on at a party for the film What Dreams May Come, and claimed that his own personal experience with the Romeo + Juliet actor was also not pleasant. This heavily suggests that Sean believes that Leguizamo was the instigator in disagreements between the To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar co-stars.

While details of Sean Swayze and John Legiuzamo’s unsavory interaction were not reported on, it doesn’t seem like this beef will be dissipated anytime soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2024 8:06 AM

[quote] I liked the movie and loved all the performances. I watched a reaction of the film by 2 modern day drag queens and they loved it. So, not cancelled, though it would not matter at all if it was.

I ADORE the movie. One of my all-time favs. I could not care less if it was a lesser version of another film, or whatever...still cracks me up, and is just a fun romp. Most still seem to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2024 8:24 AM

Leguizamo looks like a corpse in OP's photo.

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2024 8:50 AM

It sounds like Leguizamo made up his own lines because he couldn’t always remember the original ones. Do you think he would be confusing to act with?

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2024 12:15 PM

I bet woke John has said the Nword before

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2024 12:32 PM

John is no walk in the park either. Had a family member work with him on a project. He asked him about To Woo Foo and he just rolled him eyes. Almost seemed embarrassed by that movie. Seemed like a very negative person.

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2024 12:33 PM

John is one of those privileged POC cunts who blames everything on white people. He thinks he’s not primetime Mel Gibson because of racism and not because he’s the size of a Keebler elf with a troll face and weird facial tics.

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2024 12:37 PM

Team Swayze!

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2024 12:53 PM

R25, the trailer was so bad that I never saw it. It just seemed like a sanitised Priscilla rip-off.

by Anonymousreply 76May 5, 2024 1:07 PM

Sanitised? Was Priscilla outré?

by Anonymousreply 77May 5, 2024 1:14 PM

[quote]Sanitised? Was Priscilla outré?

You obviously never saw it. There’s a scene with a woman and some ping pong balls.

by Anonymousreply 78May 5, 2024 2:50 PM

To be fair, there were other costars who said Patrick was difficult to work with:

Jennifer Grey/Dirty Dancing

Rob Lowe/The Outsiders and Youngblood

by Anonymousreply 79May 5, 2024 3:25 PM

[quote] He asked him about To Woo Foo and he just rolled him eyes.

Did he call it "To Woo Foo"? Because that might explain the eye rolling.

by Anonymousreply 80May 5, 2024 3:37 PM

r54 I believe the rumours because Swayze would have sex with my makeup artist friend. I never believed him until he invited me over and Swayze was there. Kissed him goodbye in front of me.

by Anonymousreply 81May 5, 2024 3:42 PM

Did Swayze die from AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 82May 5, 2024 3:48 PM

Rafael Alencar claimed he once tricked with Patrick Swayze. That's the only gay rumor about Swayze that I know.

by Anonymousreply 83May 5, 2024 3:50 PM

[quote] I believe the rumours because Swayze would have sex with my makeup artist friend. I never believed him until he invited me over and Swayze was there. Kissed him goodbye in front of me.

That is a LIE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 5, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote] Swayze died fairly young of an excruciating disease, so Leguizamo's bitching about the man's work habits decades after the fact seems a bit, shall we say, ungracious.

He was asked the question and answered honestly. It would be worse for him to pretend otherwise so that the people who were there can contradict him and paint him as a liar.

by Anonymousreply 85May 5, 2024 7:52 PM

[quote] Swayze was a deeply closeted homosexual. He had a lot of issues on the set.

Then why would he take the role?! He was the marquee name and he didn't need the work.

by Anonymousreply 86May 5, 2024 7:53 PM

Leguizamo is a vile person and should be blackballed. It’s only diversity that gets him roles.

by Anonymousreply 87May 5, 2024 8:02 PM

All this time I thought Leguizamo was a Puerto Rican. Had no idea he was Colombian before R18’s post.

by Anonymousreply 88May 5, 2024 8:03 PM

There were always rumors about Pretty Patrick. I mean, he was in After Dark, a surefire confirmation.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 5, 2024 8:18 PM

Wow that takes me back. I remember that shop on Greenwich.

by Anonymousreply 90May 5, 2024 8:20 PM

He was billed as Pat Swayze when he was in the chorus of Goodtime Charley with Joel Grey.

by Anonymousreply 91May 5, 2024 8:29 PM

R89 He seems to be wearing eyeliner in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 92May 5, 2024 8:30 PM

R81 That’s a big “Sure, Jan”

by Anonymousreply 93May 5, 2024 10:52 PM

Swayze was an asshole

by Anonymousreply 94May 5, 2024 10:57 PM

It crossed my mind that he was gay or bi, but he seemed to be genuinely happy with his wife in interviews and such. And it never came out in any gossip rags.

by Anonymousreply 95May 6, 2024 1:36 AM

Neither of these guys are/were jerks, they just had different approaches. Swayze always took everything very seriously, he didn’t have much of a sense of humor. You can see in interviews at the time that he thought of this as a deeply dramatic role. Leguizamo meanwhile was leaning way into the camp and comedy. The movie would not work as well without the juxtaposition of both.

by Anonymousreply 96May 6, 2024 1:47 AM

I don't know R95. I think they had a rocky relationship. I think he was probably bi.

by Anonymousreply 97May 6, 2024 2:19 AM

R78, unclutch your pearls and read my post properly.

I wasn't calling Priscilla the sanitised movie.

by Anonymousreply 98May 6, 2024 11:22 AM

Sorry, r78, I need to take my own advice.

The comment you quote is from someone (stupid) who I have on block.

by Anonymousreply 99May 6, 2024 11:52 AM

What I got out of that is Swayze was professional and Leguizamo is a clown.

by Anonymousreply 100May 6, 2024 11:55 AM

I loved the ping pong ball lady!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 6, 2024 12:10 PM

John Leguizamo talks more shit than me.

by Anonymousreply 102May 6, 2024 12:17 PM

R20 Eww that is so disgusting. Many times when there's smelly feet it makes some wonder what else stinks or they're not keeping up, in regards to their hygiene. The fact that he laughed without answering means they probably still stink

by Anonymousreply 103May 6, 2024 11:14 PM

He probably wanted Swayze to fvck him and Swayze refused.

by Anonymousreply 104May 7, 2024 3:28 AM

All I know is that a 5-year-old John Leguizamo was right there on that fateful week in April 1965, leading the march across the Edmund Pettis Bridge, with John Lewis and Hosea Williams close behind.

It's a little known fact that Leguizami, three months before his birth, founded the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee in April 1960.

by Anonymousreply 105May 7, 2024 7:32 AM

It was really him who threw the first brick at stonewall

by Anonymousreply 106May 7, 2024 8:27 PM

R106 This was when Leguizamo was a black drag queen in the 60’s.

by Anonymousreply 107May 7, 2024 8:32 PM

Sounds like a clash if acting styles...and on hearing the facts, some of us would side with Patrick as he never pretended to be Robin Williams and let loose. If, in a movie, about backstage Hollywood, the way to show us, the audience, thar the actor is annoying, would be to have him constantly offer ideas that he believed were better than the script or better than directed. If you look at Joey in Friends, in one episode he tells a journalist that he basicly rewrites his scripts his character then falls down an elevator shaft. In another episode, he's on a stretcher dying, but each take he tries it differently eventually he's made play it as already dead...cutting his screen time.

by Anonymousreply 108May 7, 2024 11:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!