Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do time shares work?

I'm interested in getting one as a "get away" vacation spot.

However, I've heard bad things about them, and I've even seen advertisements where companies try to help you "escape" from your time share contract.

Is there a cheap way to do this?

Also, how did something like the global pandemic affect time shares? Were people unable to use them?

I know absolutely nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2024 3:16 AM

They are one of the biggest scams ever. Do NOT buy into one. I'm betting 90% of owners eventually regret their purchase.

I'm not going to explain why. That's why they invented the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 4:46 PM

I never understood the appeal of paying in advance for a vacation you may never take and being tied to a single location.

Also, OP, doesn’t the fact that there’s an entire (apparently profitable) industry devoted to getting people out of these deals suggest to you that there’s an element of deceit in selling them?

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 5:04 PM

My mom was suckered into one about 15 years ago. Think it cost her about $25k. It’s now paid off.

She was initially regretful, but now basically has a free hotel room whenever and wherever she travels. I’ve been able to use it a few times, too.

She still has to pay about $200 a year in “housekeeping credits” a year, though.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 5:23 PM

My partner has one, but it works for him.

He has a golfing addiction.

We live in a Northern state climate. He uses his three times throughout the Winter- over Thanksgiving, Christmas and in late Winter. I go with him one of those three times.

I still don't know how they work, but he does pay an annual fee.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 5:29 PM

[quote]She was initially regretful, but now basically has a free hotel room whenever and wherever she travels.

She owns a timeshare in every city on the planet?

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 5:33 PM

R5 Maybe?

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 5:48 PM

I suppose they might make sense if you have a large family and need a place that's apartment-like. But for a single person or a couple, the annual fees are often more than what you'd spend on a hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote] but now basically has a free hotel room whenever and wherever she travels. I

How does that work? Surely she must travel to a limited number of destinations and at limited availability?

In any case, is she had invested the $25,000 and the $200 per year over 15 years she could afford some pretty nice hotels.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 8:20 PM

Not very well.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 8:22 PM

I think the appeal of timeshares was that you could stay someplace that had a full kitchen and separate rooms for kids.

We have Airbnb for that now.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 8:30 PM

Don't do it. You have to pay fees for the rest of your life, and you can never cancel.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 8:54 PM

You can cancel by selling, but usually the timeshare company or whoever has the right of first refusal. They will give you an offer of about $1.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 9:10 PM

The fees can go up at any time without warning. It can be very hard to find an available unit to swap for in another location. Don’t believe the sales pitch. Run!

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 9:11 PM

Who’s going to buy without the heavy sales pitch?

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 9:12 PM

[quote]Is there a cheap way to do this?

No.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 9:35 PM

If timeshares were great, there wouldn't be tons of companies whose sole business is helping people get out of timeshares.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 9:36 PM

You get one when you go to a Trump rally along with your boxed lunch. I mean what would be the incentive otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2024 9:47 PM

My ex was dead set on buying a Disney timeshare and we did, at Aulani. Aulani was new at the time and the slimy Disney people actually wrote up the contract for a different property in Florida that was not selling well. I caught it in time. We had an infant and we used Aulani three times for a week each time, in a one bedroom “villa.” The last visit, in 2019, was not great. There had been no updates to the property and three of four elevators in our tower were out of service. It was “long in the tooth.” Annual fees are about $1200. When we divorced, I made sure he got saddled with it.

The best thing about Aulani is that lots of people, especially East Asians, are keen to stay there, so it was cheap and easy to “exchange” our yearly stay at Aulani for someplace else for nothing out of pocket. We stayed for a week each in Vienna, Tokyo, Paris, and Prague in years we didn’t go to Hawaii.

If — and you should talk to your financial advisor first — you buy, do so in the resale market and choose one that provides maximum flexibility in terms of banking points, exchanging with other properties (Google “RCI”), and low annual fees.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 10:04 PM

Is the idea that buying one of these things is somehow cheaper than just going where you want when you want?

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 10:11 PM

Ye, and it’s an idea called BAD

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 10:40 PM

R3 here.

She bought into the Wyndham “ownership” program. She doesn’t have one property she owns per se, but can stay at any Wyndham property she likes.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote]She doesn’t have one property she owns per se, but can stay at any Wyndham property she likes.

But only one week a year, right? It's not like you can just go somewhere every month.

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2024 12:14 AM

[quote]I know absolutely nothing about it.

You're the ideal timeshare customer. They prey on people who won't read the fine print or do any research, and will be easily convinced this is some sort of great deal you're signing up for.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2024 12:18 AM

One of their big selling points is that you can deed it to someone in your will. Who would want to be burdened with that expense?

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2024 12:20 AM

Don't Do It. My father's wife talked him into buying a bunch of these schemes. Later, he tried to pawn them off on us kids (for free!) by saying he felt bad he wouldn't be leaving us anything so he'd like to gift us these timeshares. He even tried to give one to friends of mine. I was the only one who took it and visited the resort in Cabo San Lucas, which was nice, but the $650 annual "maintenance" wasn't capped and who wants to vacation in the same place every year.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2024 12:30 AM

How do they work? They work making most people who buy one regret it as one of the biggest finalcial mistakes of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2024 12:31 AM

Instead of getting a timeshare, it's quicker and less humiliating to flush your money down the toilet instead.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2024 1:03 AM

It's sort of the same as owning a second home. I could afford it, and it would be nice to be able to get away from bad weather or whatever from time to time ... but the expense of maintaining a second home is ridiculous and ties you in to one place. I realized that it makes much more sense to just rent a place (e.g. on VRBO or the like) for a month. I've done it three times in three different parts of the world and it was great.

As you get older and drive less, it also makes sense to ditch your car and use Uber/Lyft/public transit for short trips, and rent a car when you need one. The cost savings are incredible.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2024 3:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!