Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gloria Steinem is 90!

Will she see 2025?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2024 5:27 AM

She should be working for senior citizen rights!

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 3:10 PM

Hopefully you still live long enough to see women's right to vote revoked and everything she worked for totally in vain.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 3:11 PM

Mrs. America is worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 3:15 PM

Is she planning to have a family?

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 3:16 PM

[quote]Is she planning to have a family?

That question is literal rape.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 3:18 PM

Saw her in a documentary about abortion, talking about how relieved and free she felt after getting her abortion. No apparent sense of sadness or guilt. I'm pro-choice but her blithe demeanor spooked me.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 3:19 PM

The late Martin Amis wrote very cogently about Steinem in his collection of essays, The Moronic Inferno. Mentioned her glamor and "expertly layered" long hair, her "pampered look, a Park Avenue look." Touch of bitchiness in his portrait of her. Amis could have been a first-rate DLer.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 3:25 PM

[quote] No apparent sense of sadness or guilt.

Because that's what women are supposed to feel? That's what the Christian wingnuts believe anyway, and not just guilt over the abortion, guilt about having whore sex like gay men are supposed to feel. Good for Gloria for being honest.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 3:38 PM

I met her at a NOW convention in Pittsburgh, lo these many years ago (1975, I think). She was very nice to me and gave me her autograph. Of course, after I left for the Army, my evil mother threw all my stuff away so that's gone for good -- but I'll never forget meeting her.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 3:54 PM

When I was young, many of my friends had abortions. Some had multiple abortions (yes, whores, the lot of us!). None of them suffered the agony of guilt women were shown (and encouraged) to suffer on soap operas and prime-time television. All felt relief and freedom and why not? The men that impregnated them suffered no remorse, either.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 4:03 PM

R8, I'm not a Christian wingnut, but yes, I think aborting a fetus warrants some sense of remorse or at least sadness. You've prevented a human being from being brought into the world that the person might have valued and been happy in.

Jesus, some of you pro-choicers are as off the hook as the wingnuts. Isn't there a middle ground?

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 4:05 PM

But the world is shitty, t11.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 4:08 PM

r11^

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 4:08 PM

R11? Are you a gay man? Well, then -- what's it to ya?

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 4:10 PM

R11, while I realize that you’re not siding with conservative people, you have articulated their position very well. So many women treat it like it’s on the same level as a manicure and have become frighteningly casual about it. One famous actress bragged about having had five abortions. That’s not a mistake, that’s a lack of self-control. And yes, there should be a middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 4:11 PM

[quote]One famous actress bragged about having had five abortions

Millie Bobby Brown.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 4:14 PM

[quote] You've prevented a human being from being brought into the world that the person might have valued and been happy in.

Oh fuck off with that garbage. A zygote isn't a human being.

No one mentioned bragging about an abortion, straw man argument. Woman can feel however they want after an abortion. My sister felt tremendous relief and was pissed off it happened. She had no desire to go through it again, is that enough remorse for you fetus police? Oh, and she knows the difference between a zygote and a baby because she had two kids.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2024 4:27 PM

Guess what? The world doesn't need any more humans, the most invasive of species. Anything that reduces our numbers should be encouraged, not punished.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 4:30 PM

I was relieved when I got mine too. My shitty boyfriend at the time told me he would kill me if I didn't. I think he would've too

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 6:01 PM

R11 here. I happen to agree that the world is a pretty shitty place. That's partly why I never had kids. But I think the end of a pregnancy can (and should be) felt as a sad event, even at the same time it comes as a relief. Those feelings can co-exist.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 6:49 PM

I think it's ironic that she recorded I Will Survive.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2024 8:29 PM

I wonder what or if she has a favorite of the “Gloria” songs that have become pop hits in her lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2024 8:38 PM

Kirstie Alley portrayed her in the ABC movie of the week “A Rabbit’s Tale”.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2024 8:41 PM

I was so glad she came on the scene when she did, attractive, intelligent and unflappable. Men were pigs by and large in the late 1960s and early 1970s in my circles anyway, just awful, duplicitous role models. I have to remember how very young the husbands and fathers were though when I was a child. Still, they taught me a man is a two face.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2024 8:51 PM

I think they got her number.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2024 10:03 PM

And R11? And you get to tell women how they [italic]should[/italic] feel because...???

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2024 10:26 PM

R11 here again. I am a Democrat, steadfast Trump-hater and staunch pro-choicer who has voted and will continue to vote in favor of reproductive rights for women. JFC, I can keep my personal sentiments out of the voting booth, okay? All I'm saying is that I get spooked by women who talk blithely about their abortions.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2024 12:11 AM

Some women panic when they get pregnant. It's rarely the blessed event portrayed in movies. Be glad women are happy to get abortions. You want them to be miserable about it? Why?

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2024 12:14 AM

I don't want anyone to be miserable, of course not. But I am spooked by women who seem to think only of themselves and their own interests in the event of an unplanned pregnancy. After all, adoption is always a viable alternative if you're healthy enough to carry the fetus to term. I planned for that myself if I ever got pregnant, which fortunately I did not, maybe due to luck, a triple wall of birth control at all times, and below-average looks that limited my opportunities. As mentioned, I support the right to choose.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2024 12:30 AM

R11 (et al) the next time you’re tempted to air your personal sentiments on how women should feel about abortion, perhaps spare a thought to all the men who played a role in creating these pregnancies. If someone is putting it out there publicly that she’s had five abortions and hadn’t regretted any of them, guys who choose to have sex with her are choosing her knowing that. If you’re pro-choice, recall that the majority of abortions due to unwanted pregnancy occur as soon as the woman finds out, well before significant fetal development has taken place and there’s anything resembling a small body to abort.

If you’re trolling, it’s not clever, go seek attention in greener fields. Let the rest of us talk about nonagenarian Gloria Steinem, who was so poor as a child she was once bitten by a rat as she slept.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2024 12:37 AM

R30, R11 here. I'm not a troll because I disagree with you, and you are of course entitled to view a pre-viability fetus as little more than pregnancy tissue, etc.

Not incidentally, I admire much of what Steinem has done for women; when she spoke at my college graduation ceremony, I was thrilled.

Here she is, talking about abortion and other matters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2024 1:13 AM

Well this thread is going off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2024 1:20 AM

Most women get abortions in the first 3 months so why would they feel anything? They barely knew they were pregnant and the fetus is a mass of cells at that point. The women who get late-term abortions want their babies but something went wrong with the pregnancy or problems with the mother's health. Late term abortions are very rare.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2024 1:25 AM

You’re a troll because you stated your piece and then hammered it into the ground on a thread devoted to another topic, boring us all into the ground, R11/R30. It has nothing to do with disagreement but with your desire to get attention.

You also don’t understand the difference between “pre-viable” and “pre-first trimester”, because the majority of abortions happen in the first trimester (before twelve weeks), a small percentage between twelve weeks and sixteen weeks, with the majority of later terminations the result of a tragedy impacting a wanted pregnancy. The earliest premature baby to survive was born at about twenty-one weeks. No one is voluntarily aborting viable fetuses without a second thought.

I normally wouldn’t feed a troll, but the reproductive rights you claim to support were yanked away by the right wing freaks whose water you’re dutifully carrying. Sucking Log Cabin dick won’t keep you out of the gulag.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2024 3:44 AM

There are much worse people.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2024 4:18 AM

She’s a despicable piece of shit and set women back decades. You can thank her celebrity form of feminism for ERA not passing. She turned women into basket cases and as Camille Paglia said, Gloria was never without a man on her arm. She actually said that masculinity needs to be cured/eradicated. She’s a typical far-Left moron. Her out of touch diatribes about Hillary Clinton were also laughable. A limousine liberal if there ever was one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2024 4:38 AM

Clown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2024 4:39 AM

Per usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2024 4:39 AM

And.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2024 4:40 AM

Gloria wants the Real Housewives taken off tv because it makes women look stupid. Hon, the Real Housewives is how women behave. I hate to break it to you.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2024 4:41 AM

Gloria was your typical coastal liberal elitist. Betty Friedan was much more on the money about women in America than celebrity fucker Gloria ever was.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2024 4:44 AM

Only 36 posts until Markle was mentioned.

Obsession!

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2024 4:13 PM

Klam grannie lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2024 4:14 PM

Never too late, r4.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2024 6:56 PM

Stuttering John interviews Marlo Thomas and Gloria Steinem butts in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2024 7:14 PM

Has she ever addressed the explosion of tranny nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2024 8:10 PM

👑👑👑

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2024 11:05 PM

Curious as to whether Christian Bale ever bitched her out like he did the crew of Terminator: Salvation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 10, 2024 11:30 PM

Steinem is from Toledo.

by Anonymousreply 49May 10, 2024 11:38 PM

R11. Every time you masturbate (I assume I’m correct in guessing you are male) you waste what could have become a life of carefree bliss and joy. How do you cope?

by Anonymousreply 50May 10, 2024 11:41 PM

Never that fond of Steinem but I must say after listening to the people criticising her here I might like her more

Steinem is a fraud because she likes the company of men? Steinem is horrible because she’s not eternally remorseful about her aborted fetid who is wailing for all eternity in outer darkness about missing birthday parties long days in the office, and eventual disease and death

I’m glad I’m a man because this is truly some weird and moronic shit you come to with just to make women feel miserable about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 51May 10, 2024 11:51 PM

Well, R 50, you got me. Yes, it has been a tough slog indeed through the muddy backwoods of my own sanctimony.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2024 12:15 AM

Okay, good

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2024 12:27 AM

That’s quite a jawline.

by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2024 1:33 AM

Steinem walked the walk.

A close friend of mine who was an activist on Native American causes knew her well and she'd always show-up at whatever event he was having and lend a hand.

No cameras, no glamorous media coverage.

I've got to give her credit for that.

But that award to Markle was pure nonsense. I know why Steinem did it. I understand why she did it.

You dredge up some reason to give a celebrity recognition because it draws the media and attention to the underlying cause.

But still, that was really stretching it.

by Anonymousreply 55May 11, 2024 1:37 AM

Steinem was the guest on the local TV station in San Francisco in the 80s. My friend and I wandered in and the first thing that struck me was how tiny she was, which happens a lot when you see celebrities in person I guess. I remember being impressed when one of the hosts asked her how women are supposed to balance career and family and Steinem said, "why aren't these kinds of questions ever asked of men?"

by Anonymousreply 56May 11, 2024 3:18 AM

Steinem made her name talking about sexual harassment in the workplace, r41. Something that hurts women from all walks of life. She's always careful to point out that feminism should help all women regardless of race and class. You're using cultural war buzzwords and childish insults. Steinem has done plenty to help women.

by Anonymousreply 57May 11, 2024 3:34 AM

[quote]Steinem made her name talking about sexual harassment in the workplace,

So the boss wanted to cop a feel. Did she have to ruin it for gay men worldwide? One woman’s displeasure is a gay man’s fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 58May 11, 2024 3:50 AM

Christian Bale's step-mother.

by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2024 5:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!