Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“The Hunger” (1983)- vampire movie starring Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon and David Bowie

Anyone else remember this bizarre NYC vampire love triangle story? It was so strange but in a good way, and definitely a movie that could only truly work in the 80s. It would never work in modern day.

It was set in NY but most of it was filmed in London. Tony Scott (brother of Ridley) wanted to film the entire film in NYC but the budget was not big enough to afford that, so he filmed the majority in London and only certain outside scenes in NY over the course of a week. They wouldn’t up his budget for numerous reasons, one being it was his very first feature directorial. Ridley Scott was originally hired to Direct but left when he learned David Bowie was involved, leading his brother to get the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2024 8:46 AM

What was the problem with Bowie?

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 3:14 PM

Classic of the genre. Loved Bauhaus playing "Bela Lugosi's Dead" at the beginning. Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon having a good old lesbian time with Delibes' Flower Duet playing is also iconic.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 3:22 PM

Putting out the fire with gasoline

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 3:27 PM

[quote]Anyone else remember this bizarre NYC vampire love triangle story?

No, OP -- you're the only one.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 3:35 PM

I remember renting it from the video store.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 3:37 PM

Was popular at my college, early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 5:45 PM

Such a unique take on the genre. The imagery is so amazing in this movie. I was annoyed when Ryan Murphy knocked it off for AHS season 5. The novel is pretty good too.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 5:54 PM

What makes it bizarre?

It's not like it was filmed as some slapstick comedy or with psychedelic sets.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 6:07 PM

Susan Sarandon said in an interview that the director wanted her character to be drunk before being seduced. She wouldn't have it because, she said, no one on earth would need to be drunk to go to bed with Catherine Deneuve.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 6:12 PM

They used a body double for Deneuve.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 7:30 PM

It was a hot, fun mess.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 7:33 PM

I love when Bowie ages so fast while just sitting in a waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 7:53 PM

It's a string of stunning sequences and music cues...but the movie as a whole is a bit of a mess.

That opening though. So fucking good.

I still listen to the soundtrack. The trio in E-flat piece by Schubert still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

"Forever? Forever and ever?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 8:17 PM

r3, wrong movie-that was Cat People with Nasty Kinski.

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2024 2:30 AM

Is SS a self promoting DLer?

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2024 2:38 AM

Too long…

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2024 2:47 AM

The book was even better.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2024 3:50 AM

Sarandon should make another horror movie - one where she gets ripped apart by a werewolf.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2024 3:59 AM

R8 I don’t know if I would call it bizarre but definitely unique. For example they didn’t t extract their victims’ blood with fangs but instead knives hidden in their necklaces. Also their vampire condition is referred to as a “sickness”.

This music video by Marilyn Martin was inspired by the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2024 6:21 AM

One of my favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2024 6:53 AM

Very obscure and evil movie from the decadent 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2024 8:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!