Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher blasts Biden trillion dollar loan forgiveness for Jew hating students

"Real Time" host Bill Maher took aim at President Biden's latest student loan handout proposal, insisting his own tax dollars, by extension, will be funding the "Jew hating" on college campuses.

During Friday night's panel discussion, while discussing the anti-Israel unrest occurring at top universities in recent weeks, Maher said he gets "so incensed" at how many of the students participating receive federal aid.

"When I read about the college loans… 'Biden administration's student debt cancelation will cost a combined $870 billion to $1.4 trillion. That's a lot of debt forgiveness," Maher said.

Maher continued, "Colleges constantly raise tuition, then the kids take out more loans, then the government comes by and pays those loans. Okay, so my tax dollars are supporting this Jew hating? I don't think so."

Fox News contributor Kellyanne Conway said the student loan handout was unfair, telling Maher "You can't have plumbers and pipefitters playing for the student loans of doctors and lawyers."

"I'm all for the government trying to help people who need it, but he did that as a political play and everybody knows it. He's bleeding young people support." Conway added.

"And it hasn't worked," Bloomberg Businessweek correspondent Joshua Green chimed in. "If you look at issues that young people care about, Gaza is like 15th out of 16th. And the only thing that comes in lower than Gaza is student loan forgiveness. So it hasn't worked as a motivator for the youth vote, you know, half of which are out there chanting ‘Genocide Joe.’ So it's backfired not just in terms of public policy, but in terms of the politics, too."

"Yeah, I mean, Trump is winning the youth vote by I think 11 points, that's pretty astounding to me," Maher said, referring to a recent CNN poll. "What do you make of that?"

"What I make of that a lot of it is if you turn on your TV today, you see young people protesting, angry, fighting with cops," Green said. "What you don't see is Donald Trump in a criminal trial.

"Biden was elected to push aside the chaos and the havoc of the Trump years. I think everybody can agree on that… You turn on your TV and see what's going on these campuses, it hasn't happened. And that's one big reason why he's losing the vote, one big reason why he's losing the youth vote."

"Yes, chaos and crisis in the Trump administration in a tweet, in a comment here and there, now it's chaos and crisis everywhere we look!" Conway exclaimed. "At the border, on our college campuses, by the way, in our halls of Congress, Congress, 31 Democrats voted against the resolution last October 18 to condemn Hezbollah and Hamas."

She continued, "And the resolution clearly said, Bill, that they were concerned about institutions of higher education allowing sympathies for Hezbollah and Hamas, which our own government, Biden's government, Trump's government have declared terrorist groups and they specifically said in there it was going to hurt, make uncomfortable, if not worse, Jewish students with all this antisemitism. That was October 18! 31 Democrats including the most well known young ones, the Squad that doesn't do squat, for example, all voted against that resolution."

"I couldn't agree more," Maher responded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 13, 2024 11:25 PM

Bill Maher... Blah, blah blah 🙄

Fox News link, Op? 🤨

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 1:51 PM

Half the time it sounds like Fox News on DL now anyway R1 so I guess it was only a matter of time before their links started dominating the site.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 1:56 PM

Oh, so Putin's plan is working?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 2:00 PM

Cancelling debt is not using your tax dollars Bill. He knows that. It also not cancelling debt of Jew hating kids on campus today. It's the jew hating kids who already graduated. Bill knows this. He is low key doing everything he can to get Trump elected because it is good TV for him to have Trump as a president.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 2:06 PM

Even for him this is a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 2:10 PM

Fuck Maher. He’s devolved into a right wing scold.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 2:20 PM

I often agree with Bill Maher but everything that came out of his mouth was straight up bullshit on this issue. What kind of Jesse Watters logic is he using to connect student loan forgiveness to campus protests? And why is it labeled pandering? It’s called fulfilling a campaign promise, and we’re always up politicians’ asses when they fail to do it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 2:22 PM

The point he is making underneath that is that colleges and universities are selling something “imaginary” - job security, a future - at extortion level prices, and they cannot even guarantee that the people attending with positivist goals - to become a doctor or a lawyer - it will be able to participate in what they are entitled to - learning in a classroom and taking exams with disruptions by someone like this wearing a keffiyeh and calling for the death of Jews:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 2:22 PM

Just fuck off R8.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 2:27 PM

What is the motivator for colleges and universities to trim spending to stop the runaway costs if the government jumps in to forgive frequently enormous loans taken out by students, often in pursuit of degrees that are worthless in the real world?

Why not attach forgiveness to loans taken out to study in for high-demand areas like health care and then require students to serve in hard-to-fill positions for two or three years to qualify for forgiveness?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 2:33 PM

^ Why not offer government tuition assistance to fields of study where people are needed. Teachers, engineers, doctors and nurses are all high demand jobs where the government could encourage people to take classes on

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 2:41 PM

[Quote] Okay, so my tax dollars are supporting this Jew hating? I don't think so."

It’s official. Maher is retarded.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 2:43 PM

I don't want anything to do with this.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 2:45 PM

I'm glad he had a noted scholar on, like Kelly Ann Conway, to discuss this issue

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 2:52 PM

This mainly helps privileged cunts who made the choice to attend expensive private schools. People who go to state universities or city universities like CCNY or BMCC in New York don't have these prestigious, often useless degrees to pay off. They're punished for having been frugal.

What we could really use is medical debt forgiveness. No one chooses to have medical debt and it's fucking crushing for so many middle-class American families.

But I guess no politician has ever gone wrong by helping the rich get richer. That's what they do.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 2:59 PM

^ We need to expand Medicare and Obama Care to cover medical, but just try and get a Republican to go along with that Ha!

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 3:03 PM

Student loan forgiveness should only apply to people who went to public schools.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2024 3:06 PM

Bill Maher needs to shut his ass face!

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 3:07 PM

Words that should never be directed at Kelly-Anne Conway: “I couldn’t agree more.”

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 3:11 PM

A lot of voters will be agreeing with Bill. And as I have been told there is an election coming.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 3:11 PM

A lot of voters will be agreeing that the earth isn’t round, R20. Who gives a fuck what these dumb asses think? What matters is the truth, and Joe Biden promised to do this when he ran in 2020. It has nothing to do with his “youth poll numbers” right now.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2024 3:15 PM

I don't understand...I thought loan forgiveness applies to people who have already graduated--not current"Jew-hating" students

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2024 3:20 PM

r20, Student loan forgiveness and why that's bad for Joe Biden...

Go fuck yourself... Most people would still vote for Biden even if he were getting last rites

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2024 3:20 PM

It is nevertheless quite maddening that Biden has and does court the youth vote only to have them stab him in the back running around screeching about a people in a land they couldn't have placed on a map 8 months ago.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2024 3:22 PM

To be fair, what’s happening to those people in the land on that map could not take place without the US. So these protests are not outrageous at heart. When it crosses over into property destruction and antisemitism, of course I condemn it just like President Biden has done, but I won’t pretend that these students’ anger is misplaced. The Netanyahu government’s response to 10/7 has been barbaric. They didn’t need to flatten over 70% of Gaza and kill tens of thousands of civilians to destroy Hamas’ military capabilities (which is the most they can realistically accomplish). The Israelis walked that path by choice. We should all be enraged by the smoldering results.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2024 3:43 PM

R23

It’s all about who wins the election numnuts. Save your progressive outrage for some one who gives a shit.

Define “ most people” today. Biden trails Trump in national polls,, in swing state polls, and with the youth vote. So you can take your nasty nancy act and start worrying that all these polls may be real trouble for biden. So what the voters do think is important. You not so much.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2024 3:47 PM

^ "Most people" = the majority of voters. That's how we win elections in this country, asshole

Polls don't mean shit, they're biased to whatever person you want to win

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2024 4:17 PM

Oh, no, Biden said something I don't like, I guess I'll vote for Von Shitinpanz, because outside of burning the constitution and declaring himself dictator for life, he's my guy

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2024 4:21 PM

Barbarism begets barbarism, R25. Before I go further, I agree with you regarding Netanyahu's handling of this war; it would have been much better for Israel to engage in a highly targeted and covert response to Hamas' attack. He's given them more than they could have possibly imagined. Netanyahu as has made martyrs of Gazans and Israelis into pariahs. That said, as Scott Galloway points out, Israel is the only country on the planet not allowed to win a war.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] Israel is the only country on the planet not allowed to win a war.

And the US

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2024 4:56 PM

The two questions are really completely separate, and it all comes down to the kind of special pleading that fuckers all do on shows like this. If those same kids were protesting in favor of Israel and screaming slaughter those Muslim fucks, both Bill Maher and Kellyanne Conway would be shrieking their support and demanding that all their loans be forgiven instantly.

They are completely full of shit pretending that the student loan issue and the encampments have jackshit to do with each other. Of course Bill Maher always veers wildly around depending on his particular whims and grievances that week. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2024 4:58 PM

R29

Scott Galloway an expert on war? He is just another fucking dreamer without a dd214.

All Israel has done by the way they have been trying to win this war is to have much of the world turn against them. I have never seen Israel so hated so isolated . That is what winning looks like for them.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2024 5:02 PM

[quote] If those same kids were protesting in favor of Israel and screaming slaughter those Muslim fucks, both Bill Maher and Kellyanne Conway would be shrieking their support and demanding that all their loans be forgiven

Sure, Jan. That sounds entirely plausible.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote]Sure, Jan. That sounds entirely plausible.

You mean it doesn't?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2024 5:12 PM

There are already student loan forgiveness programs for people who work in public service jobs for a certain number of years (teachers, some low-paying government jobs like public defender). You just have to follow a bunch of procedures that few people totally understand.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2024 5:18 PM

And even fewer people actually ever intended to honor r35. Those programs were fine in theory, but everyone knows in practice it was all scammy and ridiculous, holding out with one hand, taking back with the other. They were all designed to fail.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2024 5:28 PM

Be consistent. Being anti Israel and supporting student loan forgiveness are progressive stands. Right wing types would support anti Muslim protests but would NEVER support loan forgiveness.

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2024 5:29 PM

R36, of course. The real money in these programs is the budget for administering them, including creating bureaucracies and hiring to staff them.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2024 5:30 PM

R37, it seems to be inconcievable to many here, but most people don't believe 100% in any party platform.

It's common for someone to be generally left wing and believe that immigration shouldn't be unlimited, or for someone to be generally right wing and still be pro-choice.

The world is a big place and people are individuals, not apparatchiks pledged to swallow all the beliefs of a party.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2024 5:32 PM

Right Wingers are entirely inconsistent. Not one wants to track down any rich fucker that stole PPP loans. Not one.

I agree that they hate student loan forgiveness, but only because they really deep down hate the kind of people that take big loans to go to Ivy League colleges. There is no actual principal involved. They are totally fine with forgiving all kinds of loans if only the right kind of fucker has the loan. Preferably some shithead selling some bullshit real estate in Florida or some asshole with some bullshit startup in Silicon Valley or some fraudster selling some nonsense finance scheme on Wall Street. Then, all concern and weeping about some poor working class schlub entirely evaporates.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2024 5:34 PM

^BINGO!

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2024 5:36 PM

I hate this ugly pot-addled self-righteous piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2024 5:36 PM

r40 gets it! 👍

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2024 5:44 PM

Not sure what people don't understand. Yes college is not cheap, but these kids are basically tricked into signing predatory loans with debt they cannot get rid of even in bankruptcy. Yes we have a generation of participation trophy kids who have pie in the sky goals of taking poetry or earth healing as a fucking major but that falls on the parents. My mom told me to get a degree in something that I could have a career in. Computer Science. Did I know shit about computers when I started, no, but I learned.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2024 5:48 PM

[quote] "Most people" = the majority of voters. That's how we win elections in this country, asshole

WRONG! The Electoral College can, and has, interfered with that.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2024 5:58 PM

Like he even pays taxes! He probably has millions in tax shelters - oil wells, off shore banks, taking every write off possible. I used to watch his show but can no longer stomach him.

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2024 6:10 PM

He had Roger Daltry on last night who said he's making a film about Keith Moon. I'm excited, he's my favorite drummer.

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2024 6:40 PM

There ain't no free lunch

⁽ᵁⁿˡᵉˢˢ ᵈᵉˢᵖᵉʳᵃᵗᵉ ᴶᵒᵉ ⁿᵉᵉᵈˢ ᵗᵒ ᵇᵘʸ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵛᵒᵗᵉ⁾

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2024 6:41 PM

Trump has built his entire life around free lunches r48. So have a lot of the rich fuckers we just naturally give a pass on everything for. A lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2024 6:52 PM

For the second straight week, he has Noem governor of NORTH Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2024 8:35 PM

The self W&W votes have gotten out of control, especially in the beginning of this thread. We see what you’re doing. No one is organically agreeing with you. We can all refresh our browsers and vote for ourselves. Knock it off.

It’s time to permanently retire this feature.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2024 10:37 PM

R34–objecting to replacing the American flag with a Palestinian flag is not screaming for Muslims to be killed.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2024 2:45 AM

What I don't understand is the protests around Israel and Palestine but nothing around Russia and Ukraine. College students are fickle about their genocide.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2024 2:50 AM

It's official. The Dems are giving money away like any good populist government would. And this IS your money.

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2024 2:54 AM

Ukrainians are not POC. No one cares when white genocide occurs or when POC kill other POC. All the energy is focused on POC killed by whites (Jews are seen as white] There are no exceptions to this rule.

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2024 2:55 AM

I’m not having it either.

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2024 2:56 AM

First of all, I laughed at conservatives who think it's wrong to pay for student loan debt but okay to pay for tax breaks for the wealthy

And Bill Maher is contradicting himself by claiming that all young people are ultra-liberal protesters but insisting that they're going to vote for Trump. If you believe any poll saying Trump is winning young voters by 11 points then I have a bridge to sell you

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2024 3:06 AM

Kellyanne Conway is one guest his audience doesn't want to see or hear. Wake the fuck up, Bill.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2024 3:39 AM

She's been a regular on his show since the ABC Politically Incorrect days. She's always going to show up.

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2024 3:54 AM

[quote]For the second straight week, he has Noem governor of NORTH Dakota.

He's also often asked what's the difference between the two Dakotas, and why do we even need two "or even one."

R59 - I looked it up and Conway was last on over two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2024 4:10 AM

I can never see KellyAnne without seeing Kate McKinnon in the sewer.

“I’ll give you quote.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2024 4:21 AM

Keith Olbermann outed what a little shit Maher was at college.

Did we all forget Bill Maher hates America and called the 9/11 attackers not cowards. Yeah, two can play at this game, Billy.

by Anonymousreply 62May 5, 2024 4:31 AM

[quote] The self W&W votes have gotten out of control

Posters cannot WW their own posts. It’s not counted. I hate to be the one to break this to you. People agree with them.

by Anonymousreply 63May 5, 2024 4:33 AM

[quote] Right Wingers are entirely inconsistent.

As are Left-wingers. Believe the science when they don’t even believe in biology.

by Anonymousreply 64May 5, 2024 4:34 AM

Posters can W&W their own posts.

by Anonymousreply 65May 5, 2024 4:38 AM

See?

by Anonymousreply 66May 5, 2024 4:39 AM

Yes of course they can R65. R63 is full of shit as usual.

I'm only surprised this thread hasn't been turned into a trans-hate thread by R63 and her nasty little whining cunt friends. I suppose there's still time...

by Anonymousreply 67May 5, 2024 4:42 AM

When Bill Maher went to college, it was virtually free. You know why it was close to free? Because it was subsides by American tax dollars. Bill has become such a greedy old school hypocritical Republican Boomer it's unbelievable.

Move to the video @ 2:30

Bill admits, even in his day, college was virtually free. Even for some place like USC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2024 4:57 AM

R57

If you ignore polls you don’t like things will improve like magic.

The fact is that virtually every national poll shows biden losing support among the youth vote compared to 4 years ago. National polls also show Trump gains among the youth. Dems can’t possibly be dumb enough not to be greatly concerned about this. Even those on DL.

But we still have the abortion issue and women voters and Taylor Swift and all those wanting to support the T.

All is not lost

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2024 12:12 PM

Fuck Bill Maher.

He and the other loudmouth Baby Boomers can go right on ahead and volunteer for the IDF.

They think they're so tough. They think they're young men still? Put your money where your fucking mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2024 12:15 PM

[quote]The fact is that virtually every national poll shows biden losing support among the youth vote compared to 4 years ago.

And every poll said Hillary was going to beat Trump. See how polls work?

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2024 12:28 PM

@r69, Stop trolling with your silly biased polls. No dem is going to ever think Trump is the better choice

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2024 12:31 PM

Conflated issues. Better to keep your eyes on Republicans killing women with a lack of abortion healthcare services.

Republicans are killing women with ectopic pregnancies and forcing women to carry DEAD BABIES TO TERM. Sick fuckers. Evangelical biology has no place in America.

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2024 12:34 PM

I believe the polls showing Clinton ahead were accurate. But Comey reporting on Clinton's inquiry status in late October, while keeping silent on Trump's inquiry, affected how some voted (or decide to stay home and not vote).

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2024 12:38 PM

Comey gave people a reason to not vote for a capable but unlikable woman over a nasty piece of work who paid to keep his campaign clean.

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2024 12:42 PM

Uh, yes they can R63. And everyone can see them. I did it on another thread to prove it. And I’ll do it here right now. People don’t agree with them. They’re just refreshing their browser. It’s best simple. I’ll do twenty in two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 76May 5, 2024 2:03 PM

20 W&W in a minute and a half and I did them all. Pro Hamas people are not getting agreement here. They are doing it themselves. I’ve been here for nearly 25 years. I know how the site mechanically works.

W&W is bullshit, and needs to be removed.

by Anonymousreply 77May 5, 2024 2:07 PM

All 3 little buttons need to be removed. Not just one.

by Anonymousreply 78May 5, 2024 2:12 PM

R71

You bet those polls were showing Clinton ahead. Those polls were very accurate. No one thought trump was going to win, She was so far ahead trump was busy planning some new network he was going to create.

Clinton was so far ahead it was virtually impossible for her to lose so much of that support.

But it happened. Bad decisions coupled with bad luck coupled with 3rd and 4th parties and she lost.

And any dipshit that counters with—-well she won the popular vote is an absolute idiot. So what?

by Anonymousreply 79May 5, 2024 2:22 PM

To make a connection between these protestors and loan forgiveness is INSANE.

by Anonymousreply 80May 5, 2024 5:08 PM

It’s not insane if you’re a rightwing commentator looking to squeeze hatred for Joe Biden into every breath. You’re supposed to turn your opponent’s winning issues into losers, no matter how twisted the logic. But it’s definitely insane if you’re supposed to be this decent, reasonable, common sense, serious person in search of the truth like Maher claims to be.

by Anonymousreply 81May 5, 2024 6:14 PM

There a nothing MAGA hates worse than college educated elites. And these protests only help trump. So connecting loan forgiveness to the same kids protesting is a winner for the right. These protestors are not all that popular with anyone.

So we forgive the loans $100000 for kids that generally did not opt for local cc followed by two years at state while living at home.

Many older grads that worked their asses off to repay loans are wondering why they did not get loans forgiven every time there was an election

by Anonymousreply 82May 5, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote] Many older grads that worked their asses off to repay loans are wondering why they did not get loans forgiven every time there was an election

And reasonably so

by Anonymousreply 83May 5, 2024 6:55 PM

Bill has to have losers like Kellyanne Cuntway on his show because no reasonably intelligent person would embarrass themselves by associating with him.

by Anonymousreply 84May 6, 2024 3:44 AM

The final national polls in ‘16 were eerily accurate.

by Anonymousreply 85May 6, 2024 3:48 AM

[quote] Posters can W&W their own posts.

It doesn’t count, shit-for-brains.

by Anonymousreply 86May 6, 2024 3:54 AM

[quote] What we could really use is medical debt forgiveness. No one chooses to have medical debt and it's fucking crushing for so many middle-class American families.

Katie Hobbs, governor of Arizona did something like that recently for some residents of her state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 6, 2024 4:38 AM

[quote]Many older grads that worked their asses off to repay loans are wondering why they did not get loans forgiven every time there was an election

Because school back then was a lot cheaper than it is today. If you adjust for inflation school loans are more than 5 times what was paid by previous generations. Once again it needs to be repeated, people like Bill Maher went to prestigious schools like USC for the cost of 50 dollars per class, even in his own words, practically free.

If I didnt know better, I would say the "older grads" sound a lot more like butt hurt selfish snowflakes than Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2024 12:29 PM

Illegal was much cheaper and public universities were practically free. On the other hand, no one think of borrowing money to major in something like women’s studies. When did that craziness start?

by Anonymousreply 89May 6, 2024 12:37 PM

College not illegal! So much smarter to attend a state university than pay private school prices. Hope all the protesting blows back on elite schools and big firms limit hiring to good public universities.

by Anonymousreply 90May 6, 2024 12:41 PM

YES, THEY DO R86 AND EVERYONE CAN SEE THEM.

by Anonymousreply 91May 6, 2024 12:49 PM

I took out loans and depended on grants and aid and in 1968 when I was in college and I thought college was expensive.

Private schools and out of state schools were way out of my price range. So I lived at home and commuted. Then with loans in hand I went out and got a full time career job that paid $6290 a year. And I had to commute every fucking day to that job.

by Anonymousreply 92May 6, 2024 12:51 PM

The Baby Boomers thought they were extremely righteous when they were protesting against sending themselves off to war.

Nevermind that they only protested because it ONLY affected them.

by Anonymousreply 93May 10, 2024 3:12 PM

Boo Hoo R92, You had to commute to a job every day? I grantee that your first year of salary was still more than all of your 4 years of college. It's not like that now. 4 years in a regular school is averaging about 80,000 if you factor in the interest on the loan. And that's not some fancy private school. The average starting pay is not 80K coming out of school to match that. It's more like 35K.

In 1968, the average salary was $8,870.

Adjusted for inflation, that salary would be equivalent to $75,584.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 11, 2024 12:26 PM

[quote] College not illegal!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 95May 11, 2024 1:30 PM

R94

It’s a load of bullshit or ignorance to say that an average school is costing anyone $80,000 on average today. Even for a private school including room and board. And a state school does not come close especially on final cost.

No one except for maybe the super wealthy pays full freight for colleges today. Sticker price and the prices actually paid are two completely different things.

by Anonymousreply 96May 11, 2024 2:01 PM

[quote]No one except for maybe the super wealthy pays full freight for colleges today.

And when they pay full freight, it usually includes a named building and a student who never has to go to class.

Is there any record of any passable schoolwork by Jared Kushner at Harvard or DJT at Penn-Wharton?

by Anonymousreply 97May 11, 2024 5:45 PM

Is there a way to find out which schools are these forgiven loans coming from? Should taxpayers' money be used to repay a loan from Kenyon College or Vassar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 11, 2024 7:10 PM

When Bill Maher has taken his last earthly bong hit I'm baking a cake

by Anonymousreply 99May 11, 2024 7:16 PM

I will probably continue to watch this show, maybe forever, but each week I'm going to miss the old Bill Maher, the one that wasn't terrified of having actual disagreement. Just once I'd like him to have an actual Palestinian, or a Palestinian-American, or even somebody, anybody, who doesn't sound like they are on loan from the Israeli embassy. And I say that as somebody who largely agrees with Israel in this fight, and with Bill Maher in this fight. But don't be so fucking terrified to occasionally hear from the other side, the way he wouldn't have been 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 100May 11, 2024 7:38 PM

Well, it's his show and he can do as he pleases. And yes, he's gotten older and shifted more toward the middle (not that Maher was ever a champion for the Left). I watch it mostly for the closing speech with which I almost invariably agree.

by Anonymousreply 101May 11, 2024 7:45 PM

Yes, but it was a much, much better show when he was willing to have actual disagreement, and not just Trumpista whore, mildly Democratic operative gently objecting, and himself, and everyone coming together to agree that kids just suck these days.

by Anonymousreply 102May 11, 2024 7:48 PM

R96 OK Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 103May 11, 2024 8:24 PM

I've been watching him for too many years to count and will continue. Some of the stuff is very funny and true to his word, he keeps showing video of Trump dancing but "looking like he's jerking off two guys." I can't help it, that tickles my funny bone.

by Anonymousreply 104May 11, 2024 8:32 PM

$79,609, R94.

by Anonymousreply 105May 11, 2024 10:20 PM

Once Trump is out of the public consciousness, he'll become completely irrelevant. His takes on everything else are off and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 106May 11, 2024 10:23 PM

I hate when he starts to chuckle before the punchline. Like, really? After all that practice?

by Anonymousreply 107May 11, 2024 10:37 PM

Just bring on the occasional actual leftist. It would help revive this stale show in a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 108May 12, 2024 12:11 AM

Bill on CBS Sunday Morning. Although an equal opportunity offender, making clear that he thinks Trump & the right present the more clear & present danger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 13, 2024 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!