Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Get ready for Queer Food!

Note that the article never uses the world "gay"....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2024 5:44 PM

I meant to write: the word "gay"

Here's the archived article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 12:18 AM

Did they have their "snack purses" with them?

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 1:20 AM

Paywall, but how many of the featured eaters are non-binary fatties?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 1:23 AM

And people wonder why the humanities are seen as increasingly frivolous and irrelevant.

Also, "food space?" Fuck's sake. It's called a KITCHEN!

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 1:24 AM

Two top comments:

[quote]Is the queer key lime pie a different recipe than a generic key lime pie? Do we really deed to define food by sexuality? Really Maybe, we should work at finding more common areas where we can work together not find areas where we can split apart.

and

[quote]Does my long-term affair with Ben&Jerry mean I'm in a polycule?

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 1:26 AM

[quote]What is queer food?

We're revisiting Potlucks and Sows at the Trough.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 1:27 AM

The absurdity of it all.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 1:28 AM

[Quote] What is queer food?

Cock and pussy eaten by those who also have a cock and pussy, respectively; or eaten by those who identify with the gender conventions where they are assumed to also posses either a cock or a pussy, respectively.

Everything else is just food food.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 1:28 AM

"Mx. Barbosa, who’s getting a master’s degree in gastronomy from Boston University, also brought along a 'sleazy wine cake,' made with Marsala and coconut, and a pecan buttercrunch — recipes from the zine that they tested and ate with a friend who was recovering from top surgery."

I don't know about you, but nothing gets my appetite going like the unnecessary surgical removal of perfectly healthy organs. Mm, mm, good!

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 1:59 AM

The shut down the comments section to that article, only 19 posts…ha!

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 2:18 AM

Once Around the Nonbinary Garden.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 2:20 AM

“It’s not about specific recipes or dishes,” Mr. Birdsall said. “It’s everything around those dishes, how they got to the table, who’s eating them, who’s serving them.”

So...it's literally just regular food prepared, served, and eaten by "queer" people? Does that apply to ANY other category of humans? And if that's the case, then why do these types harp on and on about the violence of cuisine "appropriation"? Technically, according to these very convenient new rules, if two white ladies open an empanada truck and other white people eat them, empanadas magically become "white food", and nothing has been appropriated, right?

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 2:20 AM

Queer food is when I ejaculate on you pizza.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 2:34 AM

So dumb.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 2:39 AM

I used to do that to my buddy Kirk leftover Pizza& reheat it in the oven for him, R13

It was 1986 in NYC. I have to ask, WTF is queer food, why is it not "just food"?

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 2:57 AM

Actual queer food from the “desert” thread:

My boyfriend loved to torment me by making weird cakes — I like my desserts unadventurous, just load me up on chocolate. But he makes pineapple upside down cakes and chess pie all the time and I find them tolerable but I really just want the goddamned chocolate. He also used to make this fluffy white cake that was loaded with fresh fruit and whipped cream that I loved but he stopped making it because I loved it too much. There seems to be some kind of a power struggle happening through baked goods. Namely that he has all the power since I can’t bake shit.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 3:07 AM

[quote]Get ready for Queer Food! Note that the article never uses the world "gay"....

And why don't you consider that a gift like the rest of us do, OP?

At least pay attention to what you're complaining about that actually serves gay people, honey. This. Ain't. Us.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2024 1:01 PM

So ridiculous it's a satire? From the Onion?

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 1:17 PM

Is this a uniquely American thing? Do other countries have insane students and faculty like this?

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 1:18 PM

Thanks for the link, r1.

This morning I seem to be caught in an endless loop with the Captcha and cannot access articles. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Maybe it’s a gift from above, saving my head from exploding as I learn about a new attempt to invent boutique divisions that do not exist in reality.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 1:29 PM

Their use of the Diseased Pariah News recipes seems to be flippant appropriation of gay culture. Too bad they had to shut down the comments section.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2024 2:13 PM

What's astonishing is that they opened comments at all r21

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2024 2:33 PM

I kinda guess there is some opportunity for study in that food creates and supports culture and community (bitchy gay dinner parties, boozy drag brunch, Michigan Wymmyn potlucks) but those are really about context more than *queer* recipes.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2024 2:56 PM

Sounds more like a theme party than anything else.

"I'm bringing my famous Cockamole and Todd's making Calamary."

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2024 3:20 PM

Food is not "queer". This is why people sneer at the "liberal arts" which used to mean a well rounded education to my generation and didn't have the negative connotation it does now.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2024 3:28 PM

Undoubtedly started by non-binary fat east coast college wimmin, as does everything having to do with the " queer" movement.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2024 10:06 PM

Isn't that what that stupid Hags restaurant is all about? Queer food made and served by trans or fat, straight, chicks with blue hair? I can't stand the use of the word "queer" all the time now. It really is meaningless now, except to people of a certain age, who remember it being a slur.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2024 5:37 AM

The photo in OP's post is proof that queer food is very fattening.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2024 1:23 PM

Eat your spinach or else it’s a hate crime!

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2024 1:27 PM

Can a campfire weenie roast be revisioned as a Lesbian triumph over trans girldick?

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2024 3:41 PM

That would not qualify as queer, r30.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2024 4:31 PM

Would I be useful as the clerk at the Cuntry store?

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2024 5:36 PM

Large womon of Michfest is redundant, no?

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2024 5:40 PM

Ha R23! Zing!

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2024 5:44 PM

Queer Food = Canapés

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2024 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!