Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is this type of shower hardware considered cheap or tacky?

I've been seeing a lot more of these and can't decide whether I think it's cheap.

It's extremely utilizarian to combine a handheld shower head with a regular show, so that sort of makes me think cheap. On the other hand, having a regular shower head and a side handheld shower seems a bit redundant.

Oh great DL tastemakers, what are your thoughts (in the link, ignore the specific finish and focus on the functional setup)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 12:11 AM

Ideally, you should have a fancy regular shower head like a rain shower, then supplement with the handheld.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2024 3:34 PM

The opposite - I think having multiple shower heads and/or a handheld shower element gives the suggestion of luxury.

There are certainly cheapo versions of it that might look kinda cheap and ugly but Delta is pretty middle of the line. We've had one that we just attached in place of the prior standard showerhead (price usually around $50-$75) but you can also have what you've shared - an entire "bar" with the handheld shower installed, which is usually a bit more expensive but definitely has a more sleek, elegant look.

The only handheld element that would look very cheap is a plastic one or a white one, and I have only seen those on things like campers/RV/trains, or in baths used by disabled people.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2024 3:36 PM

Do you spend a lot of energy wondered what people will think of your bath hardware? It’s a private space (for most of us). Do what you want.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2024 3:40 PM

My husband and I have one of these.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2024 3:49 PM

I have a combination shower head with a handheld. Never use the handheld and because I have a shelving unit hanging from the shower head the metal hose gets in the way.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2024 3:50 PM

I have used that style in many hotels and I'm not sure if some asshole takes out the tightening screw or if they just break, but most never function properly and you just need to use the handheld anyway.

BTW, I don't know how any person can properly clean themselves with just a shower head fixed to the wall. I'm 50 and my parents always had a shower wand of some sort.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2024 3:55 PM

I have a rain showerhead with the side pull down piece separate. I requested it, love it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2024 3:57 PM

May this be the most challenging concern you confront during your lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2024 3:57 PM

YOU DO NOT NEED APPROVAL TO BUY THIS OR OPINION.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2024 4:00 PM

If you have a dog they’re great.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2024 4:03 PM

Add me to the rainshower+handheld combo. We just renovated our bathroom and made that change.

About Delta though, I think it’s a bit below “middle of the line.” Look for Grohe or Kohler. The quality means that the sliding holster will stay where you want it and the hose won’t break.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2024 4:08 PM

I know you guys would never think of this, but the handheld, when at the right spray setting, is a quick and satisfying way for a woman to masturbate.

That said, I have a handheld that lives in a bracket that's attached to the pipe that comes out of the wall, thus making it work like a regular shower head. The handheld was essential after I had my 2016 motorcycle accident, when I could not stand to shower and had to use a shower chair.

When you're older, you have to think about these things.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2024 4:10 PM

Darfur Orphan needs to weigh in on this one.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2024 4:12 PM

I wish I could get one of these. I don’t think my current shower head supports it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2024 4:16 PM

[quote]I know you guys would never think of this, but the handheld, when at the right spray setting, is a quick and satisfying way for a woman to masturbate.

I thought that's what a Bidet was for.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2024 4:33 PM

[quote] shower head with a regular show

It’s a good show, a positive show!

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2024 4:36 PM

I do not like sandwiches referred to as “handhelds” on menus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2024 4:38 PM

My plumber said to use Moen for the shower. He didn’t state why.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2024 4:40 PM

I have a lot of opinions on houses and their furnishing and decoration, yet almost on on the highly individual question of shower fittings.

Pick something with a simple or classic profile, made of good materials, and that looks fit to the intended purpose. If you have a chance, I suggest going to a store and comparing the weight and feel of the product against others in a similar price range. If you like it, buy it. They don't last forever and there is good reason to think that the person who eventually buys your place with change it to something new and to their taste.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2024 4:47 PM

If anyone in my village wants a shower, we have to wait until R. Kelly stops by.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2024 4:49 PM

I like having the handheld because it gets me bumhole squeaky clean.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2024 4:51 PM

I have aquariums and this fixture has made my life better.

It's also great for the dog.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2024 4:52 PM

This type of fixture is also very common in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2024 4:54 PM

I love it because I can do multiple chemical procedures on my hair without having to get in the shower every time. Or spray my feet clean after gardening.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2024 5:34 PM

[quote]Do you spend a lot of energy wondered what people will think of your bath hardware? It’s a private space (for most of us). Do what you want.

I'm trying to form my own opinion on the matter and go back and forth, so was just curious what DLers think - as stated, I go back and forth on it.

What I dont' want is to start to despise it after a few months after I rip out all the tile and pay a plumber a fortune to install it.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote] This type of fixture is also very common in Europe.

It’s so useful after nights of hot sex with my female woman dates.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 5:51 PM

I have a regular shower head in addition to one of these. There's a diverter on the connection that allows you to use both, or just one at a time. The handheld has adjustable settings. I'm so used to using the handheld to rinse my nether regions that I get annoyed when I stay in a hotel that doesn't have a handheld option.

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 6:00 PM

Kohler is nothing but trash now as usual, Delta is not lower quality, most plumbers like them in their homes, look it up, broad fucking generalizations are made when it's just opinion

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 6:00 PM

I don't that anyone on DL would want the same fixtures that plumbers have in their homes. Oh look gang, my plumber and I have the same faucets.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 6:18 PM

Handhelds are good for cleaning all the nooks and crannies.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2024 6:44 PM

[quote] broad fucking generalizations are made when it's just opinion

[quote] Kohler is nothing but trash now as usual

Now that you’ve proven your point, I can get back to trying to wash the image of a handicapped lesbian hunched over on a teak shower bench shooting massaging waters up her cooch out of my head.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 6:54 PM

It helps with my itchy cooter, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2024 8:07 PM

I like this old fashioned spartan setup

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2024 8:55 PM

Are you boys telling me you’ve never played with a handheld shower nozzle?

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2024 10:58 PM

R18 is correct re: Moen, they're guaranteed for life. I have them in all my faucets at home and have never had an issue. The item you showed in your OP is cheap garbage.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 12:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!