Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I feel like Houston underwater should be a bigger story

Lack of oversight means land was not developed correctly to allow for necessary water displacement

Houston has the climate of Florida now

Look at any Florida city from a satellite photo and then look at Houston

Where are the retention ponds?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 12:35 AM

That she drowned in the bathtub was well covered.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2024 2:17 PM

R1

If only Whitney Houston had a pussy as dry as Joan Rivers’

It would have sucked up all the water and she would be alive today

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2024 2:23 PM

[quote]Where are the retention ponds?

What, you want the Texas state government to have zoning and job-killing regulations to require developers to flood-proof their communities? That's communism!

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2024 2:25 PM

I'm so sorry, OP. I just saw an article in the WaPo that shows cities where the sea water is rising, and I was shocked by how bad this problem is in TX. Houston is supposed to be a wonderful town. I hope they can find an answer soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2024 2:28 PM

I lived on the north side of Houston in the 90's. Even then, the problem was evident. The house that I lived in flooded twice as did several other homes in the neighborhood. Most have since been torn down. The city and surrounding areas have been over developing what is essentially swampland with full knowledge it is a stupid idea. I don't know what is more infuriating - the greedy cities and developers who build in unstable areas or the insurers (including the federal flood insurance program) that insures such developments.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2024 2:34 PM

The Federal flood insurance program should declare that it will no longer cover homes built in known flood zones (and since that encompasses most of the coastal South, so be it).

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2024 2:39 PM

Houston

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2024 2:40 PM

Orlando

And Orlando isn’t that exposed to hurricanes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2024 2:41 PM

I think southeast Texas was just “dry” enough that they thought they could get away without building retention ponds, while Florida was always waterlogged so it could not be built without them

But they did not predict climate change and a monsoon climate more similar to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2024 2:44 PM

My husband’s BFF’s father was a druggie and crooked lawyer. He got disbarred in NY and was disgraced, so he moved to Houston in1980s … suddenly, he was rich. There was a “real estate boom” and he “got in on the ground floor.” Traveled around via helicopter like JR fucking Ewing. Goes from completely busted, down & out, disbarred disgrace in NY to top o’ the world in Houston. Then died of AIDS.

I’m sure he had something to do with building communities in unprotected flood zones.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2024 2:53 PM

[quote]But they did not predict climate change

They've been predicting climate change since the 1970s, but when you poo-poo the science...

FAFO. Too bad, Texas: live with it (and don't even think about turning to the Federal government for assistance; as Texans are fond of saying, stand on your own two feet).

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2024 3:11 PM

When you spend more time denying climate change and attacking gay people than you do on infrastructure and disaster planning, this is what happens.

Excuse me, the microwave popcorn just beeped.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2024 3:12 PM

Looks bad on the news.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2024 11:04 PM

Thoughts and prayers.

I’ll bet you $50 Ted Cruz has his tickets already booked ahead of the impending flood.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2024 11:07 PM

Contact your representatives

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 12:13 AM
by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!