Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Columbia Law Review editors : Law Students are too traumatized to take exams.

Just pass everybody

We are Irrevocably shaken by violence we have seen at the hands of the police.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2024 11:08 PM

Page 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 8:09 PM

eyeroll

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 8:14 PM

With all the screaming about “check your privilege!” these past 10 years you’d think some of these kids would have a little bit of self-awareness.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 8:18 PM

Fags

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 8:30 PM

Who will not throw you off of a roof? Please choose the best answer.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 8:34 PM

Note—in addition to police brutality, they blame their fragile state in part on “blatant antisemitism, Islamophobia and racism on campus” over the past few months. In other words, both the existence of the encampment and its removal are just too much to bear.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 8:39 PM

So, what are the odds the Law School goes along with this?

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 8:40 PM

I agine making it into Columbia without learning the lesson that actions have consequences.

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 8:43 PM

*Imagine

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 8:45 PM

Is this real?

[quote] I implore you to cancel our finals since there are no universities left in Gaza, why should I continue my life as “normal” when nothing about the Rutgers Administrations treatment towards their marginalized communities has been normal. This is currently a pivotal moment in history as we, the student body, exercise our free speech and denounce the genocide overseas. Your support for the students by canceling finals will be greatly appreciated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 9:16 PM

These delicate flowers have no business in the law.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 9:21 PM

These delicate flowers have no business in business either. Or service industries. Or employment of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 9:23 PM

Those poor sweet darling babies!

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 9:29 PM

The Ivies. Stick a fork in them. They're done.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 9:46 PM

This is happening all over, not just at Ivies.

The coddled generation.

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 9:53 PM

I got my law degree while in a foxhole in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 10:01 PM

The horrifying violence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 10:03 PM

Well, kiddies, you're still going to have the NY State bar exam in front of you. One of the toughest in the country to pass. (Assuming you want to practice in NY....) Gotta face the music sometime!

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 10:03 PM

It stinks that the students won’t end up with felonies on their record.

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2024 10:26 PM

I would think any reputable law firm would look at that and say, yeah we're not hiring any of these people.

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 10:34 PM

That’s why the clever bastards gave themselves an out:

*As a general matter, this statement was made on behalf of the majority of the student editors on the voting leadership board of each student journal, but it may not represent the views of each individual member nor that of their contributors.

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2024 10:36 PM

I mean maybe a postponement on submissions for a week or so given the library being occupied probably made it quite hard to check out a book. LARPing you were in a warzone and are too traumatized to sit down and write for 120 minutes though is something else

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2024 10:50 PM

SHAKING AND CRYING

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2024 12:35 AM

They were too busy protesting to study for finals. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2024 2:11 AM

R18, New York uses the Universal Bar Exam, which is the exact same exam administered in 39 other states, plus DC. It is by no means one of the most difficult in the nation.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2024 2:37 AM

Columbia Law students:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 2:45 AM

I am so embarrassed for Gen Z. This is just so cringey. What a pathetic little protest this all was, and the only result is now no one will hire them and they’re going to be internet famous forever.

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 3:26 AM

That can’t be real R10. “A pivotal moment in history”? Lol. That’s hysterically funny. Begging to cancel finals? Gurl, please.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 3:28 AM

They think they're cutting edge and relevant, but they're just bores.

I wish an earthquake or something would happen and everyone forget them.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 3:35 AM

How DARE you mock cataplexy, R26?! How abelist of you! Those poor goats!

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2024 3:51 AM

The NY Bar includes the multistate portion, but of course also has NY specific portions. The pass rate is 40% which is pretty tough.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 4:01 AM

Who knew exams were coming?! It’s not like they publish a date in advance or anything.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2024 4:20 AM

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2024 4:22 AM

But if course the argument that the encampment was disruptive to the educational mission of the university is a Zionist lie!

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2024 4:26 AM

R31 the pass rate is much higher. It’s not *that* difficult. Those essay questions require knowledge a mile wide, but an inch deep. And the cut score is manageable.

The July 2023 first time pass rate was 76%. Your stat is from the February bar, which we know is a far weaker pool—filled with people who flunked at least once.

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2024 4:35 AM

At the very most they should have a time extension. Fair enough.

But in education, you're not supposed to lower the level for special education students. You provide accommodations to help them meet the objective.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2024 5:06 AM

What about summa, magna and cum laude?

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2024 5:07 AM

Law Review people are by definition cunts

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2024 5:13 AM

[quote]SHAKING AND CRYING

Shaking and SOBBING. Never use a regular word when a more melodramatic one is available!

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2024 5:18 AM

[quote]Who will not throw you off of a roof? Please choose the best answer.

R5 I hope some larrikin within the law faculty puts this question in the final exams

by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2024 5:19 AM

R11 is right. Law is a very, very tough field on many fronts, even for non-attorney staff. Rewarding, but tough. If these kids are not able to manage exams amid other stresses, they are probably going to struggle in practice, too.

by Anonymousreply 41May 3, 2024 10:44 AM

We don’t do well under pressure, but we want to be lawyers, damn it!

by Anonymousreply 42May 3, 2024 11:27 AM

Eh. I rolled my eyes, but the law students can’t hold a candle to Ms. Slutzsky. They didn’t even mention the risk of death by dehydration or ask for a commitment that they would not be violently prevented from sharpening their pencils.

by Anonymousreply 43May 3, 2024 11:42 AM

All of the geniuses posting here and obviously it’s simply a ruse to see if they can skip out on taking the exam. But everyone here took the bait.

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2024 11:52 AM

r25, you are talking about the Multistate section of the exam which is standard but most states also have their own State Bar section which must be passed. Some are a lot harder than others.

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2024 12:18 PM

Threads critical of the protests are disappearing.

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2024 12:58 PM

r22 reminds me of this gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2024 1:03 PM

[quote] All of the geniuses posting here and obviously it’s simply a ruse to see if they can skip out on taking the exam. But everyone here took the bait.

Of course it’s an effort to get the exams postponed. But they would not be publishing this if it did not reflect their sincere beliefs. The last thing they would do is publicly mock the protests.

That’s our job.

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2024 1:15 PM

Send in Kristi Noem; she'll get them back to class very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote]Threads critical of the protests are disappearing.

Oh FFS! What CAN we talk about?

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2024 2:00 PM

It does seem rather draconian to silence discussion of the number one news story in pretty much all media.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2024 2:05 PM

[quote] So, what are the odds the Law School goes along with this?

Columbia Law School tuition is @$86,000 per year so it would be in the school's interest to acquiesce.

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2024 2:07 PM

A lot about law school is intentionally brutal so you learn to think on your feet under pressure. Our legal system is adversarial - you have to be tough.

The Law School is east of Amsterdam Avenue, built like a fortress, with no easy access. I doubt the protesters even brushed by it. And the law students are generally career driven tools whose chief concern is their GPA.

This type of snowflake behavior isn't typical and by no means does the Law Review speak for the students. In fact most of the law students loathe the privileged few who make it on Law Review. At least they did in my day.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2024 2:12 PM

better cal saul

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2024 2:14 PM

People get on Law Review on the basis of grades and a writing sample.* That makes them “privileged?” Success is not privilege.

If other students loathe them it’s because they think they should be there. Especially at an elites school like Columbia

* These days, no doubt they also have DEI spots, because of course, but I’ll leave that aside.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2024 2:20 PM

R45, yes, that's exactly it--the state-specific essay portion of the bar can be a killer; the poster upthread mentioned it's a mile wide but only an inch deep-- the caveat is that in order to get the inch-deep part right, you have to commit to memory a huge swath of black-letter law and, in addition, ensure that your analytical issue-spotting skills are sharpened to a fine point. Easier said than done.

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2024 2:27 PM

This will never happen. In addition, the request only further dilutes the "CLS" brand.

-Non Columbia law school grad

by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2024 2:35 PM

It’s hard for me to imagine how something this stupid and damaging to the reputation of the Law School happened. I’m too out of touch with this generation.

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2024 2:41 PM

R56 NY’s essay portion is not so difficult —the issue spotting is typically straightforward. The MBE is much harder, so the lower your MBE score the higher your total written score needs to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 3, 2024 3:55 PM

Six essay questions? That's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 60May 3, 2024 4:26 PM

Let's just forgive their law school debt now because, well, you know what's coming.

by Anonymousreply 61May 3, 2024 4:53 PM

The collapse of the banking system? We know already.

by Anonymousreply 62May 3, 2024 4:54 PM

Bar exam pass/fail rates say more about the quality of the students who take them than they do about the difficulty of the exam. For example, you don’t have to go to law school (or even have a college degree) to take the California bar exam which is one reason it has a low pass rate. Other states don’t require the law school attended to be accredited.

by Anonymousreply 63May 3, 2024 5:39 PM

Wisconsin has a 100% bar acceptance for UW and Marquette law grads! So easy….

😈

by Anonymousreply 64May 3, 2024 5:56 PM

When I was in law school there was a rumor that certain schools got a leaked copy of essay questions/topics.

by Anonymousreply 65May 3, 2024 6:07 PM

That summary re California is not quite accurate… the major factor in the low pass rate is poor performance by graduates of non-ABA law schools. The only way to take the bar without any law school is to read for the law—which is quite rare these days… Kardashians excluded ;)

by Anonymousreply 66May 3, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote] What a pathetic little protest this all was, and the only result is now no one will hire them and they’re going to be internet famous forever

That’s why they wear kafiyas to cover their faces. It’s not just a fashion statement!

by Anonymousreply 67May 3, 2024 6:55 PM

Columbia is a highly ranked law school. This is embarassing for them. How can a Columbia grad handle the workload and stress of a future legal career if he can't handle this?

by Anonymousreply 68May 3, 2024 8:15 PM

There has to be something broken in their minds if they thought they could put out a statement like this and be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 69May 3, 2024 8:18 PM

I’m told the Columbia faculty is considering going on strike. Not clear if it’s to protest the breakup of the encampment, to adopt the protestors’s demands or both.

by Anonymousreply 70May 3, 2024 9:13 PM

They can go on strike and then all be fired. Bye!

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2024 1:46 PM

Hee hee hee hee.

by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2024 2:01 PM

Given the standard of legal knowledge--nay, legal interest, even--displayed by the Supreme Court last week, I assumed they'd been passing everybody who applied to study law for decades.

by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2024 2:41 PM

When I went through the bar admissions process for both Texas and California, they did a background search that was akin to an anal probe. These kids aren’t going to get past the background. I was worried that one of my employers from when I was young would say something about me that would cause the bar to further investigate. These kids are screwed and they don’t even know it yet. The bar admission process is beginning or has already begun.

by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2024 3:14 PM

[quote]The bar admission process is beginning or has already begun.

New York let in Letitia James and Alvin Bragg. These protestors are probably being offered jobs right now.

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2024 3:17 PM

You think the senior editors of the Columbia Law Review will not be admitted to the bar because they asked for exams to be cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 76May 4, 2024 3:45 PM

Fuck off R75.

R74 New York does not do the moral and character review until after the exam is graded, the opposite of California.

by Anonymousreply 77May 4, 2024 4:43 PM

A large percentage of the violent protesters are screwed. They are young, and they can't take their actions back. They have been exceptionally offensive. We don't know what oppositional forces they will meet yet, but we know the people they hate are powerful in law and commerce. So the phrase: be most afraid of the quietest person in the room might be good advice.

by Anonymousreply 78May 4, 2024 5:25 PM

I want to know what these dumb fucks are going to do when they go into corporate law and notice their firms work with Israeli companies. Or companies that in some other way offend their sensitivities. Are they going to occupy the building? Cry about how their work is traumatizing or 'complicit in genocide?' Or are these the types who just go work for progressive NGOs and think tanks?

by Anonymousreply 79May 4, 2024 5:28 PM

The Guardian just published an article written by Columbus students which includes:

“Right now we should be focused on our final exams. Instead, the university’s actions have made it impossible for us to focus on anything besides our peers’ physical safety and access to food”

Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 4, 2024 9:05 PM

No one is going to listen to Columbia’s students. The vast majority of the US is not on their side. They are wrong. And they have seriously damaged the university’s reputation.

by Anonymousreply 81May 4, 2024 9:49 PM

Expel and fire everybody and start again. Columbia is a dumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2024 11:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!