Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TASTEFUL FRIENDS: This house has three Baftas on the mantelpiece.

Anyone interesting, do you think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2024 5:53 AM

Pretty reasonable price.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 2:59 PM

So earthy and tasteful, I calmed down substantially just clicking through those photos. Stunning view in the second-to-last photo. It would be so nice to wake up in there and have a nice morning cuppa in that garden. Big hygge vibes, basically.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 3:10 PM

Tastefully decorated and elegant throughout.

The perfect kitchen without the "island," which Americans insist upon having. Instead, I imagine whoever prepares and cooks meals simply uses the kitchen table for added space.

Whose home is it? Anthony Hopkins?

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 3:12 PM

Culture and taste.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 3:13 PM

It's lovely. Very classy and well done. Built in 1887. The 3 BAFTAs are very impressive. Hopkins has a lot more awards including 2 Academy awards R3. He has 4 BAFTAs.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 3:31 PM

I doubt AH would be living in a terrace, tbh. Also…where are the Oscars? I’m thinking maybe a set designer. The house has a theme that carries throughout.

I think it’s a single person - probably male.

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 3:34 PM

Look at how verbose the engravings are on those Baftas, definitely some non-thespian creative or even a producer.

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 3:38 PM

I'd buy it just for the garden.

What's a freehold? It has to cost more than £845,000.

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 3:39 PM

My neighbours have two Baftas on their mantle, one for each of them. They are nobodies and work behind the scenes. They also have a really nice house.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 3:43 PM

R8 Freehold means you own the property & the land forever (or until you sell). It’s all yours. Many properties in the UK are sold leasehold (mainly flats) which means you can only own the property for a set period (99 years is average) and have to pay rent for the land, which you don’t own.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 3:48 PM

Thanks, R10. So that price is accurate? It seems like a steal.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 3:58 PM

That is absolutely beautiful! Incredible artwork. Not filled to the brim with accessories, everything seems carefully thought out and purposeful. The kitchen is amazing, not some modern sore thumb. The owner has incredible taste.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 4:07 PM

The relatively low price is because there's absolutely nothing to do in that village for anyone under the age of 70. You go there to retire and die. Garden, watch some telly, go for a walk, garden some more, and then die.

Now I'm considerably younger than that, but I'd still buy it in an instant if I had the money to waste.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 4:27 PM

How far is it from London? Would be a great weekend house for any age.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 4:31 PM

177 miles to Buckingham Palace.

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 4:38 PM

[quote]there's absolutely nothing to do in that village for anyone under the age of 70.

There must be a pub.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 4:43 PM

[quote] ...without the "island," which Americans insist upon having

You betray your ignorance, R3.

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 4:44 PM

Jennifer Saunders has won at least three. So has Martin McDonagh, though nothing in the photos suggests the irksome presence of Phoebe Waller-Bridge. It probably belongs to someone who toils behind-the-scenes but an actor wouldn't be too surprising. Kate Winslet has been to the local pub.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 5:58 PM

[quote]St Georges Street, Dunster, Somerset

That's funny, I've been dreaming about Georges and Somersets recently...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2024 6:10 PM

It's all so tasteful and classy, the owners must be straight.

If this house was owned by gays, there would be a least one disco ball, Judy fridge magnet or Mapplethorpe coffee table books.

Most gays who go to the country channel Cecil Beaton.

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 7:45 PM

R20, the gays I know have far better taste than straight people. Must be the queens YOU fraternize with.

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2024 7:49 PM

No, R21. The queens whose homes are posted on DL under 'Tasteful friends' threads.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2024 7:54 PM

R22, the tasteful friends pieces with gay couples are invariably elegant and expensive (think East Hampton) and if anything are so tasteful they're boring.

by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2024 7:57 PM

[quote]So has Martin McDonagh, though nothing in the photos suggests the irksome presence of Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Irksome is right, he'd be better off with me.

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2024 9:29 PM

The most tasteful Tasteful Friends I can remember seeing!

by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2024 10:44 PM

Oh alllllright…I’ll take it.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 1:07 AM

It's really rather homely, I could move right in...

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 1:25 AM

R9 - DL is the only place on the planet that would describe someone with a BAFTA as a 'nobody'.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 1:34 AM

R8 generally, fee simple in the USA = freehold in the UK—noted by R10. Except: freehold includes a life estate, which in the USA is lesser than a fee simple interest.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 1:45 AM

Well, it's in Dunster, so I'm going to guess Phil Dunster.

That's the way it works, right?

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2024 1:49 AM

Also, it's very, very pretty!

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 1:50 AM

Leaseholds in the UK sometimes are as much as 999 years, or close to that number. The other thing is that you can also sell your leasehold.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2024 1:56 AM

You left out the peppercorn^

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2024 1:58 AM

^Yes, which I think is a wonderful tradition, although it is actually written in most sales agreements nowadays that you are under no obligation to actually provide a real peppercorn, although the same agreement uses the 'peppercorn' phrase.

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2024 2:03 AM

Here, it’s not a wonderful tradition —it’s just a useless factoid you learn in the second week of law school…

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2024 2:04 AM

No idea whose place this is but it is beautiful. I really wouldnt feel the need to do much to it, maybe change the hallway light fittings to something more era appropriate, add some patterned wallpapers. It is very reasonably priced for what it is

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2024 5:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!