Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mama Cass's daughter Owen talks

Lookalike she's got a juicy memoir coming out next week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2024 7:29 PM

Owen?

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 11:27 AM

I expect that I won’t be the only one who clicks on the link and scrolls down just to see if she’s fat.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 11:42 AM

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of this book. How many people under 70 know who Cass Elliott was? She was a very good singer and... that's it. And her daughter didn't really know her, as she died when Owen was 7, so what exactly does Owen being to the party that none of Cass's previous biographers did?

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 12:25 PM

Longer write-up from the BBC, who went with the ham sandwich angle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 7:06 AM

Owen is pretty cool and the book isn’t just about her relationship with her mom, she spoke to a lot of her mother’s friends and people she worked with. Owen was in an early version of Wilson Phillips before being dropped not long before they got their recording contact.

If Cass had lived, I wonder if she would’ve musically gravitated towards disco music. She certainly has the voice for it and Alan Carr was managing her.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 7:17 AM

[quote] "...and Alan Carr was managing her."

Considering this specifically, I think everything turned out for the best.

Jokes aside, I would've loved a Cass disco album.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 7:47 AM

[quote]How many people under 70 know who Cass Elliott was?

r3 I'm not 120 years old and I even know who's Marlene Dietrich. Uh, some of us know about things which happened over 20 years ago. Ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 8:20 AM

The kids love Cass. There's clips all over Tiktok. R3 has some fucking old man victim narrative they're trying to keep in place.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 8:23 AM

Apparently it was Allan Carr who gave the okay for a cover-up, fearing the scandal of perhaps a drug-related death. Then someone came-up with the ham sandwich story.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2024 2:55 PM

[quote]There's clips all over Tiktok

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2024 2:58 PM

If there was a Ethel Merman disco album, there definitely would've been a Cass Elliot disco album R6.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2024 6:42 PM

NOTHIBG but. Money grab there’s no interesting info.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2024 6:48 PM

Cass always has these comebacks where her songs are played on some show or commercial and they go viral. When Lost was on, they hauntingly played her Make Your Own Kind of Music and it became a hit again. Similarly, Dream a Little Dream will always resurface.

Had she lived, she would have likely have transitioned totally into a very popular television performer. At that stage in her career, she was better known for comedy than music because of her really funny and totally likable performances on things like Carol Burnett and the Tonight Show.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2024 7:25 PM

I think she played a witch in the Pufnstuff movie.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2024 8:03 PM

People may have opened up to her more since she is her daughter. Also maybe some people talked to her that didn't talk to the other biographers.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2024 8:16 PM

[quote] I think she played a witch in the Pufnstuff movie.

She did! And she sang this song that I unironically love:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote]She put another name, that of her first husband, Jim Hendricks, on the birth certificate. Says Owen, “I always understood it was a platonic marriage and that it had been purely to keep him out of the draft.”

Wonder if Jim Hendricks was gay. Anyway, I'm an admirer of Cass as a performer and singer, but I think it's kind of cruddy to keep your own kid in the dark about who her father is.

From other accounts I've read, Cass seems to have been very needy in some ways. One contemporary of hers said that her house, in Laurel Canyon if I recall, was always full of young men whose attention and validation she seemed to desperately crave. The implication was that they were in some way kept boys.

Perhaps Cass belongs on the "Patron Saints of DL" thread.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2024 9:25 PM

Owen doesn’t have any friends.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2024 9:32 PM

I didn't know of Cass Elliot until the early Seventies, after the Mamas and the Papas had broken up and she was mostly a solo act. She appeared often on variety shows like The Carol Burnett Show and Sonny & Cher, and the writers didn't know what to make of her so they always had her do elbaorate fat jokes, which apparently she absolutely hated doing. I remember she guest-starred on an episode of Scooby-Doo playing herself, and her character had bought an entire ice cream factory, presumably so she could eat all the ice cream it made. But of course it was haunted by three "ghosts" (chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry...)

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2024 9:33 PM

[quote] Lookalike she's got a juicy memoir coming out next week.

I see what you did there, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2024 9:40 PM

So who is the father of this orphan?

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2024 10:01 PM

I've always said Cass would be a great subject for a "jukebox musical" on Broadway - and who better than Chrissy Metz to play her (seriously) ? Maybe some producers or investors will think of this once the book comes out.

TRIVIA - Mama Cass auditioned for the role of 'Miss Marmelstein' for the Broadway musical 'I Can Get It For You Wholesale'. It was said she always wanted to be a Broadway actress, and this would have been her chance. The finalists were whittled down to two : Cass Elliott and Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2024 10:05 PM

[quote] "If there was a Ethel Merman disco album, there definitely would've been a Cass Elliot disco album [R6]."

I see your point, R11. It's just a shame it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2024 1:02 AM

[quote]Make Your Own Kind of Music

Most recently, Barbie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2024 1:24 AM

[quote]Mama Cass auditioned for the role of 'Miss Marmelstein' for the Broadway musical 'I Can Get It For You Wholesale'.

The "Miss Marmelstein" office chair would've needed to be a forklift.

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2024 1:27 AM

Chuck Barris produced her TV variety pilot. He said in his autobiography (not the one where he claimed to be a CIA operative) that he thought he was in love with her. He said would say things like he didn't like her because she's fat but she learned how to give great head. She died before they ever got together but it struck a very interesting chord in the book

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2024 1:31 AM

Although she was a bit before my time, I’ve always really loved Mama Cass. The article mentions how Michelle Phillips revealed to Owen who Owen’s father is. I’m anxious to see how Michelle Phillips is portrayed. I can’t wait for this book.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2024 2:11 AM

Chuck Barris was hot.

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2024 2:39 AM

wow, I didn't even know she had a kid. I was a teen when the mamas and papas were popular. I even saw them at the Monterey pop festival.

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2024 3:08 AM

Merman was over 30 years older than Cass, I don’t cass would’ve been seen as being old and out of touch the way Memans disco album was since she would’ve been in her 30s. Perhaps in the vein of Esther Phillips brilliant disco cover of What a diff’rence a day makes.

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2024 3:26 AM

So who is Owen's dad- Allan Carr? Maybe Mama mistakenly put on one of his caftans and sat in the 'wet spot'?

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2024 3:54 AM

Wasn't it denny Dougherty?

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2024 4:25 AM

No. Denny wasn't into her and hated himself for it.

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2024 4:31 AM

A musician named Chuck Day is Owen’s biological father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2024 2:32 PM

R29, it’s so cool that you attended. I bet that was a great show — it’s always lauded.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 1:54 PM

I’ve listened to about a third of the book. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 1:56 PM

[quote]From other accounts I've read, Cass seems to have been very needy in some ways.

Yeah, for heroin

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2024 2:04 PM

I wonder if Owen touches on Cass's friendships with the Manson family? Michael Caine recalled meeting Charlie and others at Cass's house, which basically was the go-to house in the canyon where lots of music heavies converged.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2024 2:43 PM

R38, that wasn’t even included in Owen’s book. Nothing was mentioned either about Mackenzie and her dad.

I do highly recommend the book. I found it to be deeply honest and quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2024 6:09 PM

I don't think what happened to Mackenzie and John has no business being in the book. It was all after Cass' death.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2024 6:23 PM

^ I don't think what happened to Mackenzie and John has ANY business

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2024 6:23 PM

Cass’s house was the go-to house in the canyon because Cass’s boyfriend Pic Dawson was a drug dealer and his father worked in the state department, so he could not be arrested in the US.

The Brits tried to arrest Dawson when the Mamas and Papas took the QE2 to UK but Dawson wasn’t with them…or managed to hide on the ship. Pic and Billy Doyle ran drugs from Canada to the US. There was another guy LAPD talked to who was cleared of the murders because he happened to be flying a weed shipment from the Caribbean at the time. He was obviously a major drug dealer but cops didn’t care.

As we know, both Jay Sebring and Voytek Frykowski were dealing drugs. So was ….Charles Manson. Charles and Tex Watson were trying to become a big deal criminal gang. They were connected to bikers who stole cars for them, which they dismantled at Spahn Ranch and sold for parts. They were connected to other drug dealers like Bernard “Lotsapoppa” Crow and Gary Hinman. Manson thought he killed Crow (Crow survived being shot by Manson) and we all know what happened to mescaline chef Gary Hinman.

All these people connected via one thing - drugs. Cass, Dawson, Doyle, Sebring, Frykowski, Crow, Hinman, Manson, Dennis Wilson, Terry Melcher.

Steve McQueen knew Manson and bought drugs from him. He immediately got a gun and a guard dog after the Tate murders and claimed he was on a Manson hit list.

I mean, it was the 60s and drugs were “new” to a lot of people.. Hollywood had been smoking weed for a long time but hallucinogenics that could be made in a garage or inside a gutted school bus were new and exciting. The original “hippies” were upper middle class men whose dads were in government and the military. They were a protected class. They were having lots of fun until the poor people and ex-cons started heading for California for ☮️ and ❤️

That’s when the original hippies declared hippies were dead and held a funeral ⚰️ 🪦 💨 Too many undesirables horning in on the action.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2024 6:42 PM

[quote] I've always said Cass would be a great subject for a "jukebox musical" on Broadway - and who better than Chrissy Metz to play her (seriously

Lena Dunham a dead ringer but we have thus far been spared her singing voice. Adele would be perfect but she is scared of getting fat again.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2024 6:47 PM

Michelle Phillips was a close friend of Cass's. Long before the internet, there was an interview in People with John Phillips and he made disparaging comments about Cass's weight (this was years after the band.) In one of the following issues, Michelle had written a letter ripping Phillips a new one. I've never forgotten it and felt affectionate toward Michelle for being a loyal friend even after death.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2024 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!