Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Qatar targeted my brother on Grindr - I want him home

The family of a gay British-Mexican man held in Qatar for alleged drug offences has given further details of what they say was a "honeytrap" operation using the gay dating app, Grindr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 2, 2024 6:32 PM

Has anyone visited a Muslim country? I have. And when you're there you don't use Grindr or other gay dating apps. You don't cruise men. You don't look at cock. You don't have sex with men or even consider it. You don't go out to gay clubs or meets (if they exist). You don't accept or take drugs. Because you are in a completely foreign culture unlike our own - especially since 11 Muslim countries apply to death penalty to homosexual activities - you adhere to the laws and cultural expectations of the land you are visiting as if your life depended on it. Because it does.

End of story. Anyone who does anything different is a stone cold idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 9:16 AM

Yes. This guy was playing with fire for several years and finally got busted. The meth is the tell here.

My take is that it's not that people in Arba are actively looking to catch people out who are gay and keep it private , but they want homosexuality out of the public sphere. There's likely tons of gay sex happening in private, especially Arab men who have gay sex for pleasure and hetero sex for babies and public display.

What I'm not sure about is how they would handle a gay couple visiting if they "behave". In other words, no displays of affection and keeping up the appearance of just being "good friends".

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 9:30 AM

I read about this in February or March. It's a horrific situation for the man arrested, made worse by many factors. It's not easy to see a good outcome in the offing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 9:31 AM

People in Arab countries, that is*

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 9:34 AM

This is why I never set foot in that part of the world if I can help it (Israel excepted)

Two hour stopover in Abu Dhabi airport was enough. I have had sufficient

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 9:34 AM

R2 Thing is though, two men arranging a meet on Grindr with the intention of having sex behind closed doors is still keeping it private. I was led to believe they just don't like open displays of affection. So if two gay guys held hands or kissed in public, they could expect to be arrested, but the authorities don't really care if it's out of sight.

Whereas if this story is true and the Police are entrapping men arranging Grindr meets, it shows they DO care about gay sex even behind closed doors.

I mean, I'm not surprised. I personally wouldn't visit any Muslim country, much less use Grindr there.

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 9:46 AM

I think soliciting sex in the public sphere is the problem. Grindr is public in their eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 9:48 AM

R7 Public only to know who already know of its existence. They surely can't be that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 9:51 AM

Letting HIV meds lapse can be really dangerous and is playing russian roulette. Hoping for the best for him.

And grindr is private, not public. Come on. Please don't defend the murder of gays. Just stay away from these countries.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 9:53 AM

Nobody's defending the murder of gays. This is more about what they're specifically going after.

I'm not sure what you're saying, r8, but they don't want homosexuality encouraged or appearing to be encouraged in the public sphere in any way. They're not going after two friends who have a spontaneous blowjob in their house with extensive surveillance.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 9:56 AM

[quote]Please don't defend the murder of gays

Who the fuck is defending the murder of gays in this thread R9???

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 10:04 AM

R10 I was reacting to the phrase "Grindr is public in their eyes". That's nonsensical, because to view Grindr you have to make a conscious choice to download the app and create an account. It's not like anyone can just stumble across it. And if you make an account, you will only do so if you know what it's used for.

Also, they probably would go after two friends who have a spontaneous blowjob in their house if they knew about it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone became suspicious that a supposed friendship between two men was something more, they'd inform on them to the authorities who'd no doubt take action.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 10:08 AM

Yes this risk loving guy made his bed. However his government should still try to evacuate him.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 10:14 AM

PNP in Qatar sounds like a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 10:18 AM

People really have a hard time understanding other cultures. There is fucktons of gay sex happening in the islamic world.

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 10:23 AM

Qatar is even more provincial than the United Arab Emirates. That was my least favorite stopping point in the Middle East and would be the last place I would be cruising for gay sex. When visiting, you should plan to give up your gayness in the same way Sally Field gave up her Western identity in Not Without My Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 10:30 AM

So was it meth or coke ?

Someone mentioned only staying in a Mideast airport and that was enough. Airports are tough. I no longer transit thru min st paul airport because of their harassment of innocent men who are just trying to take a shit.

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 10:31 AM

lol. Poor Senator Craig @ r17.

I’ve been to Doha for work a number of times. I never would go there if I wasn’t getting paid for it. From Passport Control to hotel check-in, there isn’t one hospitable moment.

I will confess to cruising Grindr and Scruff a couple times (thank you NordVPN!). It was surprising how many profiles there were. I say “profiles” because I was skeptical just how many men or bots were behind them. I chatted with some of them, but never even got to a point where a meet-up was asked for much less arranged.

Some of my co-workers on these trips have been VERY obviously gay. They went to different sights in the city and didn’t report any problems, which surprised me.

In the end though, I find the Qataris to be slimy, insincere and without integrity. Their every move is meant to be service to Allah, even going so far as to renege on agreements (beer at the World Cup?), violating civil rights (indentured servitude built the damn city), or even bullshit incarceration.

This poor guy’s case is the second one to occur this year! In the other, a flight attendant was accused of theft, spending weeks in jail before finally being driven to the border and released. Even worse: a couple years ago, after an airport security guard found a dead fetus in a restroom, all flights were held and a number of women of child-birthing age were detained and forced to submit to gynocologic exams.

Anyone going there should be going with clear eyes and a guarded mind.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 11:55 AM

Jesus. They're selling the living shit out of holidays in Dubai in Europe, and I've always wondered if my significant other and I would be safe as a couple. I won't go for values reasons, of course, but I do wonder if gay couples with fewer scruples go on those tempting holiday packages at supernice hotels.

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2024 12:00 PM

Of course they will r19…

I’m just waiting for more western tourists to cross Muslim sensibilities in new, inventive ways to be welcomed into the various police/justice systems.

What is an ME equivalent to driving on the Spanish Steps? Or carving initials in a work of art? Desecrating somber woodlands?

I’m thinking some dumb hoochy-mama, poured into her cutoff shorts of Lululemon knockoff and topped off with a skimpy top is going to eventually make the news. NOT for being sex-trafficked, but arrested for obscenity.

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 12:19 PM

Are the ones with no scruples the idiots that try online hook ups with total strangers in a country like that or the ones that try to buy drugs in a country like that?

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2024 12:20 PM

R19 I've seen several gay couples post holiday photos from Dubai. Even a BBC News presenter a few years ago, despite him being in the public eye.

I wouldn't want to go there on principle, even if I was guaranteed safety. But it's the Instagram obsessed with do anything for attention.

I suspect Dubai is possibly more lenient than Qatar given the tourism and many western people who work there, but even they won't tolerate people mocking their rules.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2024 12:22 PM

This gay couple videoblogged their Saudi trip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2024 12:25 PM

R23 I've seen those before. I think they say they just pretend they're friends or brothers in Muslim countries.

I don't think they like it when they get flak for going to certain countries as a gay couple, hence the "this isn't about politics" note at the start. I get why they do it, but it annoys me when people (especially fellow gay people) call gay rights political.

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2024 12:35 PM

Arab men are in love with each other. So strict taboos must be maintained, or their plot to produce 8 kids each will be thwarted- and they won't be able to take over the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2024 12:50 PM

Anyone who uses Grindr in a Muslim country wants to be arrested or murdered. Grindr shouldn’t even allow their app to be downloaded in those countries. They are complicit.

by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2024 12:57 PM

R26 They add a warning to the app in countries like Qatar (see link below).

But yes, after this news, withdrawing the app seems to be the safest option.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2024 1:00 PM

R1 your points make perfect sense to me, but leaves me confused about Dubai. So many male insta-whores reside there as kept men of some rich closet cases. It seems like a huge risk but many guys remain there for years and years living off their male benefactors.

by Anonymousreply 28May 2, 2024 1:05 PM

I dated a guy from Dubai who was here for school. Very open here but told me when he had to go back his life would be different. He would have to get married to his arranged wife etc. He was so fucking hot too. Loved to get fucked. I cannot imagine never getting that again or having to go through life trying to arrange something. (His family was rich. He told me I could come live in Dubai and be his secret, he would pay for it. As tempting as his ass was, I passed.)

by Anonymousreply 29May 2, 2024 1:20 PM

Do you still have his contact info, R29?

by Anonymousreply 30May 2, 2024 2:02 PM

Fuck you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 2, 2024 2:16 PM

Islam is a sick virus and must be eradicated.

I hope Israel crushes Hamas and I eventually I hope they bring the entire region to its knees.

Any gay American protesting for these sick fucks are ignorant

by Anonymousreply 32May 2, 2024 2:21 PM

r32 because Christianity is super cool with gay people?

by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2024 3:13 PM

I’m not r32, but I’m pretty sure one can be against the hate/anti-lgbtq teachings of MANY religions all at once.

Please keep enjoying your simple, simple mind.

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2024 3:54 PM

Go be yourself in Iran, Syria, Afghanistan , actually any country ending in istan, Iraq, Quatar, UAB…… r33 and r34 don’t have to guts to do it. Go visit those countries and be yourself. Then you’ll notice the difference between how Muslims treat you compared to Christians.

Muslims are sick. It’s the brainwashing of Islam. 1400 years of violence and brutality that is unimaginable. They have not evolved or advanced. They have a Stone Age mentalities.

You all better hope Sharia law doesn’t come to a town near you!

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2024 4:20 PM

Take your pills and fuck off, you mawkish harpie.

by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2024 4:22 PM

That's why we gays can't visit Europe anymore because it has become muslim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 2, 2024 4:25 PM

R35 Are we supposed to be grateful for homophobic Christians being less homophobic than Muslims?

by Anonymousreply 38May 2, 2024 4:59 PM

R38 Yes because the Christian countries gave us gay marriage and the muslim countries the death penalty. It is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 39May 2, 2024 5:05 PM

R35, I’ll follow your suggestion just as soon as your return from Oklahoma, Mississippi and other southern states after talking to gay youths whose families have beaten them, threatened them, and if not sent them to conversion therapy, kicked them to the streets.

Mmmmmm’kay?

by Anonymousreply 40May 2, 2024 5:21 PM

The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is located in a state that has a track record of being intolerant to change, but including it alongside Iraq and the -stan countries is a bit much, R35.

by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2024 5:34 PM

R39 Ha, but the Christians were the ones campaigning against gay marriage. It didn't pass because of them. So, no, I'm not grateful for homophobic Bible bashers.

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2024 6:02 PM

I want a sexy closeted christian guy as a boyfriend in Montana. This is my fantasy. A muslim is inbred and wants to kill me because of allah. The Christian closeted boyfriend will only quote bible verses but then secretly enter me at night... oh yeah.

by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2024 6:28 PM

r39 last time I checked the US did not have an official religion. In fact, the nation was founded on Freedom from religious persecution no matter what Christian nationalists say.

by Anonymousreply 44May 2, 2024 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!