Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American men of Datalounge, where do you buy your clothes?

Not suits, but casual wear. Seems like every department store is shutting down.

by Anonymousreply 85May 3, 2024 10:23 AM

Uniqlo.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 7:45 AM

Well, not Amazon, they suck for clothes unless you search a specific brand you are looking for. It's loaded with millions of fake little Chinese companies you never heard of because they do not exist outside of Amazon. Fit and quality are always terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 7:50 AM

R1 = Asian or he has a very little boy body. Uniqlo is cut way too small for most American or even European men. Key word MEN.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 7:52 AM

Georgia Tent and Awning

International Caftans for Men

Victor’s Secret

The Stout Shoppe

Catos

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 8:08 AM

I'm actually a stocky 40-something and do fine in Uniqlo, but I go in rather than buy online.

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 8:11 AM

^ Single?

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 8:15 AM

FUBU and Yeezy

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2024 8:45 AM

J Crew, Vineyard Vines, Vuori, and a local surf shop

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2024 9:04 AM

I shop at ‘Our Outfits Will Get You Fucked Boutique’

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2024 9:10 AM

Hugo Boss can be good, as can good old Ralph Lauren.

The problem for shoppers over 40 is that retail is either super high end Gucci or fast fashion H&M because that's how the kids shop. They save for Gucci loafers because they live at home and get the super cheap stuff for basics. It's made for hard going for those of us who lived on middle-end Gap, J Crew, and the like.

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2024 9:14 AM

Costco

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2024 9:16 AM

I was just going to post that R11. There have been several threads over the years about Dataloungers proudly purchasing all their plus-sized clothes from Costco. You must look terrible.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2024 9:19 AM

J Crew for quality affordable t-shirts, Ralph Lauren for Polos and nicer all American style casual wear, Thursday Boots which is a micro brand, Diesel and Nixon for cool fashion watches, Salvatore Ferragamo for high quality, Italian dress shoes, Canali for my only suite.

The problem with places like H&M or Zara is that it's considered disposable fashion, AKA really cheap. That stuff literally lasts only a few spins in the washer and starts to fall apart. Plus it's terrible for the environment, land fills are full of that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2024 9:37 AM

R12. I'm not plus-size. But I've been through the Nordstrom, etc., stores. I don't need that any longer. For casual wear, Costco is fine.

Sometimes Banana Republic.

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2024 9:45 AM

This is why I like Uniqlo. Their stuff isn't the best fabric, the cuts can be weird, and there's some super cheap crap, but things like their shirts, socks, and underwear last. Pants and sweaters are iffy, so you have to be careful. I have some things from them that are ten years old. H&M feels like a hodgepodge mess comparatively.

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2024 9:48 AM

Working mostly at home has really changed and reduced my clothing purchases. Billy Reid has great stuff if you are willing to pay or wait for sales. Nordstrom used to feel like an outlier in both service and products, but it now seems like a less cluttered Macys. Retail must be a very exhausting field.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2024 10:14 AM

Kohls

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2024 10:20 AM

How many cool Diesel fashion watches do you have, r13?

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2024 10:38 AM

I have been using Amazon for a while now and I have no complaints. But I buy name brands. For jeans and sportswear I buy from Target.

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2024 10:48 AM

I have 3 Diesel watches R18, also had their full smart watch but it died last year. Looking at the newest designs. I like smart watches that look like watches, not Apple on a wrist.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2024 10:58 AM

In person mostly thrift stores, the farmers market, the vintage mall, or clearance section at Macy's. Mostly directly online from various brands - ex. Menace Los Angeles and Online Ceramics - or depop searching keywords like vintage, 90s, vintage sport, southwestern, if I'm sure it isn't a fake.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2024 11:05 AM

Cabela/Bass Pro or Costco. Zappos for shoes.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2024 11:09 AM

L. L. Bean, because their XLT size is just right for me.

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2024 11:24 AM

Nasty Pig. Because I love their underwear.

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2024 11:33 AM

I've always worn a lot of functional outdoor or preppy stuff, so it's been a mix of Patagonia, REI and LL Bean for a long time with occasional trips to Macy's or off-price stores for basics. From time to time, Costco has had good basics--they had Levi's for awhile and they still carry Calvins. I used to buy from GAP and Banana Republic but haven't much reason to look recently.

Uniglo looks like good value--I just haven't needed anything when I browsed their stores. Dillard's seems popular with older people, but their selection just seems weird to me---brands you haven't seen in years and a lot of house brand stuff that's meant to be classic but just seems dowdy. I think their base is sunbelt suburbanites who like to golf.

by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2024 11:38 AM

Since I took early retirement at 62 (10 years ago), I don't give a shit what I look like. So when I buy new clothes, it's usually at Costco.

I like to look nice while I watch the wage slaves like R12 heading off to work in their expensive togs.

by Anonymousreply 26April 30, 2024 11:42 AM

[quote] Canali for my only suite.

Oh dear, R13.

by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2024 12:09 PM

I agree, J. Crew is great for button ups. Nordstrom Rack has a variety of name brands on sale. John Varvatos, All Saints if on sale. Scotch and Soda. Denim and Flowers at TJ Max can be hit or miss but I've bought a few great shirts from them that last.

by Anonymousreply 28April 30, 2024 12:13 PM

Costco and because of a friend Uniqlo

by Anonymousreply 29April 30, 2024 12:26 PM

Todd Snyder. Billy Reid.

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2024 12:27 PM

Lately, China: DHGate, Temu, and AliExpress. Post-holidays they deliver in a week or so and some of it - you have to be selective - fits fine. I really like the jeans with a bit of stretch for about $12 each. They fit your legs and thighs like jeans did was I was 17. They’re not dad jeans.

Otherwise Brooks Brothers, Hugo Boss, J Press and Marshall’s.

by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2024 12:28 PM

J Crew for staples. Amazon and Target for underwear and socks. Random high-end brands for signature pieces (Tod Snyder, Norse Projects).

by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2024 12:59 PM

Brooks Brothers, in the petites section.

by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2024 12:59 PM

Online bargains....Goodwill.

But then, I'm poor.

by Anonymousreply 34April 30, 2024 1:01 PM

Norse Projects is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2024 1:14 PM

[quote]Norse Projects is fantastic.

A little too hipstery for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 36April 30, 2024 1:17 PM

BR, Mott & Bow, Mack Weldon, Vuori.

by Anonymousreply 37April 30, 2024 1:25 PM

Dillard's

by Anonymousreply 38April 30, 2024 1:27 PM

Bloomingdales

by Anonymousreply 39April 30, 2024 1:31 PM

I don't wear underwear

by Anonymousreply 40April 30, 2024 1:32 PM

This thread has revived my respect for some of my fellow gays in that they have great taste and don't all shop at Walmart and Costco- like gramps posting from the nursing home at R26. I've been here for 20 years and DL has never been known for its fashion sense and well-dressed posters.

I've not heard of Norse Projects before. Very European, well-designed and pricey. Massive selection. If you guys can pull those looks off then full respect to you. People would notice your well put together look. How do you wear it? Just one piece mixed with other brands or all Norse Projects at once?

Todd Snyder is very cool R30. Also massive selection. Impressive.

by Anonymousreply 41April 30, 2024 1:48 PM

Cool R40.

by Anonymousreply 42April 30, 2024 1:48 PM

Caftans-R-Us

by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2024 2:14 PM

So, question for the DL. I really like what I see from this site. But 400 dollar shirts and swimsuits and shit on a regular basis isn't in my budget, especially since my partner died. I am a millennial, so I dont think the clothes are too old or young for me. Anyway, can anyone recommend a brand or store for similar style that isn't so expensive? I dont mean walmart level trash lol, but cheaper than 450 for a polo or 400 for swim trunks lol. Thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2024 2:15 PM

Look on the resale sites. Ebay. Vestaire collective.

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2024 2:18 PM

All about BB and VV

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2024 2:21 PM

I am 44 and dig fashion- Never pay full price, I wait for sales and utilize second hand sites

Saks Fifth Avenue- Best sale is day after Thanksgiving- You can get 20% back on Rakuten on EVERY Designer- its insane.

End Clothing out of the UK

HBX

Farfetch

Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf- They play pricing games but you can get good deals here/there- most of their shit is very middle of the road. Their buyers suck.

Grailed- My Go To for Japanese designers Kapital, Neighborhood, and Visvim

GOAT- Pretty good

The Real Real- You can get some great stuff

Lost And Found Store Toronto

Cettire

I only shop online-

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2024 4:55 PM

Male fashion advice on Reddit is actually legit advice. Searching has given me some golden info

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2024 4:58 PM

Todd Snyder, J. Crew, Peter Manning (whose pants are especially cut for short and medium-height men), Land’s End, Charles Tyrwytt, Brooks Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2024 5:01 PM

I like Tom Snyder’s stuff but I’ve not liked the fit of the tops I’ve bought from his online store.

by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2024 5:15 PM

Online OP

by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2024 5:20 PM

Todd Snyder, R50, Tom Snyder was a ‘70s late night chat show host.

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2024 5:42 PM

I love Todd Snyder's indigo t-shirt. I had to go up a size and it shrank down to the perfect fit after washing a couple times. Material feels really nice, ironically even better than their US made tee, which feels too elastic and clingy. I also like Gap t-shirts. I'm struggling to find a good pair of shorts that aren't too short or too long. I found a pair of Old Navy shorts on Ebay that fit perfectly and feel great (I'm a free-baller). I bought another pair with with identical tags and they're an inch too big in every direction! I'm thinking about finding a nice pair of chino pants and just turning them into shorts.

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2024 8:31 PM

Hi R44--- Orlebar Brown does go on sale at Saks and other sites- Browns London (online) too..

Anyway- You might like Paul Smith (wait for sales) Universal Works, Engineered Garments, Vineyard Vines, Portugese Flannel (don't let the brand name fool you) Kestin, Battenwear, and Knickerbocker NYC---

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2024 8:39 PM

Mack Weldon (online) for underwear, socks and their supima cotton t-shirts.

AG (online) for jeans.

Nordstrom (in person and online) for almost everything else.

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2024 8:43 PM

R53 sounds hot.

by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2024 8:46 PM

[quote]'ve always worn a lot of functional outdoor or preppy stuff, so it's been a mix of Patagonia, REI and LL Bean

None of those are preppy. They are all outdoor casual or classic style. Preppy would be something like Ralph Lauren Polo.

by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2024 6:06 AM

I’m mostly into vintage clothing. I bought most of the remaining inventory from this upscale designer who recently gave up designing in order to basically just shit her diaper every day…..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2024 6:27 AM

R57: LL Bean is quite preppy. J Press is more preppy than Ralph Lauren, which is "inspired" by the prep look but not representative.

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2024 11:20 AM

OP, if you want to upgrade your wardrobe you might spend some time with the "Ask Andy" site. You'll get some prisspots and but fewer idiots who spend $300 on that Nordic stuff for clothes that appear quite ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2024 11:22 AM

I wonder if r60 recognises their own prisspot ways, as if their approach is singular and superior or something.

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2024 11:26 AM

Also, that "Ask Andy" site r60 didn't take the time to link is a Privacy nightmare. Dark pattern Google account connection came up the moment it loaded, but I guess that makes me a prisspot about protecting my personal data or something.

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2024 11:32 AM

R57 I disagree, those brands mentioned are very preppy, especially Patagonia

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2024 12:16 PM

R62: No problems with AskAndy. Styleforum is another site. You sound like one big prisspot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2024 1:48 PM

Nah, you're the one trying to police people into your demonstrably limited worldview, prisspot.

by Anonymousreply 65May 1, 2024 1:55 PM

Yep, just looked at R64's posting history. Total mincing prisspot.

by Anonymousreply 66May 1, 2024 1:57 PM

Norstrom's......Kohl's......Goodwill.

I found a very nice Michael Strahan sports coat at my local Goodwill.....my size.....fits well. It's my favorite purchase so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2024 3:04 PM

I just spent the morning getting dress clothes out that I'll never wear again, mostly because I'm retired. I'm tossing Gianfranco Ferre, RL Purple Label, Polo University, Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Brooks, J. Press and a couple of tuxedos. I'm retired and realized I'll never wear most of it again. There's enough left for weddings, funerals, court appearances or a cruise - I didn't need 20 suits then and the five I kept are more than enough. Likewise sports coats. I'm keeping the kilt and all the crap that you wear with it because it cost a lot.

Big Brother, Big Sister will do pickups - I have four bags for them. And lots more room in the closets.

by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2024 6:29 PM

R66: You're clearly the prisspot if you're that obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2024 6:33 PM

Ralph Lauren, Peter Millar, Donald Ross, Brooks Brothers and Orvis .

by Anonymousreply 70May 1, 2024 7:14 PM

Honestly for casual - like t-shirts etc, I get from Target. I do a lot of TJMaxx, and Marshals picking too for higher-end stuff (as in not target brand). Beyond that, I use Saks online for quality stuff since I get a 200-a-year credit from my credit card for Saks. My suit I use for rare occasions I have had for about 6 years. Got that from Saks and tailored. Since Covid, I have not worn a dress shirt or tie. Now I mostly rock polos for business meetings with chino-type slacks. Lately, I have found Costo to be good for getting cheap, good-looking clothes.

by Anonymousreply 71May 1, 2024 7:19 PM

Other than TJ Maxx, I buy almost everything from Land's End or LL Bean. I have a short inseam, and I got tired of constantly paying to have my trousers altered.

by Anonymousreply 72May 1, 2024 7:20 PM

Lots already mentioned, but I'm going to try Alex Crane. Their Bo pants/shorts and tees look cool for the summer.

by Anonymousreply 73May 1, 2024 7:26 PM

I've admitted this before but my mom and sisters still buy most of my clothes.

Socks, shoes and underwear I buy at a local upscale department store.

by Anonymousreply 74May 1, 2024 7:26 PM

Oh, and of course...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 1, 2024 7:33 PM

Zara has some good inexpensive stuff as well.

by Anonymousreply 76May 1, 2024 7:33 PM

Is R64 R12? Because R12 sounds like a Cluster B piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 77May 1, 2024 7:41 PM

[quote][R57] I disagree, those brands mentioned are very preppy, especially Patagonia

Well you would be wrong. Patagonia mission statement is about clothing for the outdoors. Hiking, camping, biking etc.

Preppy actual had a meaning behind it, as in cloths men and woman would typically wear in a prep school, usually with Ivy League and nautical influences. It embraces classic silhouettes, clean lines, and a refined yet casual approach to dressing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 3, 2024 3:13 AM

Casual wear?

What sort of feral creature are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 79May 3, 2024 3:22 AM

Was there a store in the US called Spitalfields? Maybe I dreamt it.

It was British influenced fashion and they had a huge store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago but it was only open for maybe a year.

by Anonymousreply 80May 3, 2024 3:31 AM

This is novel (for DL): R1 not only wasn't a cunt, he's also correct! I buy most of my clothes at Uniqlo. R3, I don't suppose you tried on some Uniqlo gear while *in* Asia? I'm asking because your comment, while cunty, has an actual point (one you obviously missed, but still): Uniqlo *does* use different sizing in Asian markets. I'm overweight by normal standards and morbidly obese at 210 pounds by DL standards, but I've never had a problem finding clothes that fit me – meaning all types, including button-down shirts, sweaters, coats, jeans, etc.

I never wear them nowadays, but I still have about a dozen Brioni and Kiton suits from my NYC days.

I see someone mentioned Billy Reid upthread. It's too pricey for me normally, but they admittedly have excellent end-of-season sales with 75% off most items.

To cite a place I NEVER buy clothes: the mall or any other brick-and-mortar retailer.

by Anonymousreply 81May 3, 2024 3:32 AM

You guys sound fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 82May 3, 2024 3:48 AM

[quote] Nasty Pig. Because I love their underwear.

And I oink when I wear it.

by Anonymousreply 83May 3, 2024 3:54 AM

[quote] I don't wear underwear

Oh my

by Anonymousreply 84May 3, 2024 3:56 AM

More like OH skid marks.

by Anonymousreply 85May 3, 2024 10:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!