Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anne Hathaway reveals she is five years sober

This long interview with her in the NYTimes is mostly awful. She feels she's been so burned by social media that she is incredibly cagey and tries not go vie anything away (in which case you wonder, why even do the interview?).

However, there were some revelations. i would guess she must have started abusing substances around the time of the "Les miserables" awards backlash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 7, 2024 2:19 PM

She is pretty full of … something. One of these people who think they are the first ones discovering life and how it affects a person. Tried to listen to a podcast interview of her on The NYtimes Daily. Couldn’t make it through.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2024 7:47 PM

I’ve never understood the contempt for her. I had the random chance of meeting her and she was very kind and humble. A lot to be said than the nightmares DLer’s fawn over.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2024 7:47 PM

Same here, R2. She was perfectly delightful.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2024 7:50 PM

I tried listening to that interview as well. It was over for me when she said, “Hi! I’m Annie!” Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2024 7:52 PM

Wow, R4. I can see why you'd be outraged.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2024 7:54 PM

Same, here, too! Lunched with Anne and Donatella Versace at Ziqù in Capri and they were both absolutely delightful. So kind and salt of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2024 7:57 PM

I met her at Carnegie Hall during a Kiki and Herb show and couldn't have been nicer. And the first thing she said? "Hi, I'm Annie." She was really sweet.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2024 8:00 PM

*and she couldn't have been nicer.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2024 8:01 PM

I can’t stand her. Every time she opens her mouth I hate her even more.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2024 8:03 PM

I have R9 on block, as I do with all cunts. I'm sure she just said something cunty.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2024 8:04 PM

I will always give Anne love after her Les Mis survival.

Anne did her best and her version of I Dreamed a Dream was surprisingly good. She was better than Jackman and miles better than Russell Crowe.

I don't get the snark either.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2024 8:05 PM

R10.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2024 8:05 PM

is her PR posting in this thread? she is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2024 8:15 PM

Always happy to block cunts.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2024 8:22 PM

Wow, Hatchetface was really bothered by all the internet hate for her srveral years ago. It set her to drinkin' and getting the sads.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2024 8:27 PM

She’s a stereotypical liberal white musical theatre gal. Always trying to be PC as fuck, but mysterious, thinks she is so charming but is vicious and will do anything to succeed. Dark triad material.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2024 8:29 PM

I’ve never gotten the contempt for her. Sure her overeager theater nerd vibe can be annoying, but she’s never come off as anything but perfectly nice in all of her interviews and I’ve never heard stories about her being a diva.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2024 8:29 PM

She’s inherently unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2024 8:31 PM

Gayllenhaal taught her to work a mean peg. Grateful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2024 8:32 PM

I also don't get the hate.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2024 8:43 PM

The hate comes from losers.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2024 8:50 PM

She was genuinely obnoxious during the run to the Oscars the year she won. She frantically changed to back-up outfit for her acceptance backstage when she found out one of the other presenters had been wearing a similar gown. And her overrehearsed acceptance speech, beginning, "Wow, it came true!" (because her big song in "Les Miserables" was "I Dreamed a Dream") was pretty annoying.

That being said, I had always liked her before that awards season. I think she let it go to her head because she wanted the award too much--but at least she didn't slap anyone on stage because of her tension!

Since then, though, she has acted like being criticized on the Internet has been roughly the equivalent of the Bataan Death March in terms of unfair ordeals. I just cannot feel that sorry for her given how rich and pampered she is. She's got to get over herself now.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2024 8:59 PM

And over 40 years insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2024 9:03 PM

Fags & Frauen think she's FABULOUS!! Straight men " Anne who?"

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2024 9:04 PM

She acts like the theater kids in any arts HS. They’re insufferable but not worthy of hatred. Just ignore her.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2024 9:10 PM

I like her.And she's an ally.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2024 9:11 PM

Correct, R26? You know who isn't an ally? The "fag" at R24.

And what would YOU know about what straight men like, Mary R24?

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2024 9:13 PM

She exhausts me.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2024 9:43 PM

Does this mean she "Interesting" now??

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2024 10:01 PM

I have heard that she isn't nice to fans, no pictures or autographs.

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2024 1:34 PM

She's great and the hate's total projection. There's no specific wrongdoing, so people slap a narrative on her that just isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2024 1:39 PM

Agree she’s incredibly annoying R9, and this current PR spate (she seems to be absolutely everywhere excoriating her audience) is doing her no favors.

by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2024 2:01 PM

EVERYONE HATES HATHAWAY.

by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2024 2:03 PM

Whatever. This was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 30, 2024 2:11 PM

I think she's a wonderful actress who can do both drama and light comedy but I've never been able to make it through an interview with her. Exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2024 2:13 PM

I misread the title and thought it said “five years older” like she’d falsified her birthdate all these years.

Anyhow, I like her movies well enough and she always looks great on the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 36April 30, 2024 2:14 PM

Another thing to say about her is that she has been there for gay rights from the very beginning, and put a lot of time into marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 37April 30, 2024 2:15 PM

Who cares? It seems like it's a trend nowadays for people who occasionally drink to suddenly announce themselves "sober" on social media when they decide to cease any drinks at all. It's an attention-seeking scheme. Just STFU!

by Anonymousreply 38April 30, 2024 2:17 PM

Her annoying theater kid schtick seems to have mellowed out with age.

by Anonymousreply 39April 30, 2024 3:13 PM

We know what fags like and it ain't you R27

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 30, 2024 3:20 PM

She is NOT a great actress, not even good. She is always Anne, never lost in the role. Julia and Sandra are better actresses.

by Anonymousreply 41April 30, 2024 3:24 PM

AnnE has such beauty,mystery and sexual allure. She reminds me of my drama class Prof.

by Anonymousreply 42April 30, 2024 4:02 PM

Middle aged theater kid for sure. Hard to ignore, annoying but generally benign. The kind of kid who would break into song in the high school cafeteria. Whenever I had one of them in a class I'd kind of roll my eyes and think "oh God, she's in this class?"

by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2024 8:55 PM

R2 People hated her because back in the day when everyone had a crush on Jake Gyllenhaal she made it appear as if they had a thing and made people jealous.

by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2024 8:57 PM

She has 2 little kids and a husband…Don’t believe she is not on the Vino.

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2024 9:02 PM

R45 I read from blinds she is more lesbo than bi and if I had to force myself to have kids for the hetero image, I'd be on more than just alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2024 9:05 PM

I think she can be very good in certain roles. and there are certainly worse actresses. Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts are notr better (all three personable actresses with degrees of charisma).

Personally i dont know much about her and she doesn’t interest me to hear or read interviews (mucn like the above ladies). Saw a recent clip from Vanity Fair though and either she was in character or came across slight deranged. She is profoundly uncool, it’s not a sin but she has no reasons to keep complaining. She act and move on.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2024 9:05 PM

Anne Hathaway tries really fucking hard, so she could never be a LEZ in Hollywood. That’s probably why she married that not attractive “husband.”

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2024 9:22 PM

FFS, she went nuts during her Oscar run to the point she "accidentally" showed her snatch. Nobody "hated" her, they just wanted her to take it down a notch or go away.

Every time she has something to promote, she brings this tired, old story out and then adds on another pity layer. A few weeks ago, it was her miscarriage. That got no traction, so now she has sobriety issues. I am sure she is just trying to find ways to raise her profile and garner publicity, but obvious pity stories do not work in these instances unless they tie into the role/film being promoted. She should have spoken to that whole episode once and then never brought it up again. Either her people suck or she doesn't listen to them.

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2024 9:26 PM

Were both sons born while she was a wino?

by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2024 10:15 PM

I don't get the hate.

I can think of 10 actresses off the top of my head who are easily more irritating and easy to hate!

by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2024 10:17 PM

Well, name them!

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2024 10:18 PM

R52, I don't want to hijack the thread. Proceed with the AnnE hate (even if I don't really get it)!

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2024 10:21 PM

Was Jake inside her? I am asking because you can see his feet here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2024 10:25 PM

Ok no I don't think so because he was apparently so annoying that she had to cry everytime she had to work with him. Aspie tantrums?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2024 10:27 PM

She seems deranged and always has some over the top story she's selling that seems totally made up. She comes across as desperate for people to like her and think she's so edgy even though she's not even remotely interesting. People would like her more if they never heard from her.

by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2024 10:34 PM

WHEN DID SHE SHOW SNATCH?

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2024 10:57 PM

People hate theater kid energy. I am not sure why. I guess dorky aggression is a turnoff

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2024 10:58 PM

R57, the Princess Diaries where she lifted up her skirt and said "Lick me! Lick me!"

by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2024 11:00 PM

I think she’s boring and tries not to be. It backfires and makes her unlikeable. I also think her looks were over praised at one point and that tends to make me dislike an actor. I really started disliking Gwyneth Paltrow after everyone pretended her ugly, poorly fitted pink Oscars dress looked good. Try-hard PR.

Didn’t Hathaway marry or at least get engaged to a crook at one point? More than a run of the mill grifter - someone who embezzled a lot of money? Or was that someone else?

by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2024 11:15 PM

^^ That was her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2024 11:18 PM

There's some off about her real life persona. She's fine on screen but when she's being herself and hosting the Oscars or winning awards she really rubs people the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2024 11:28 PM

I don't want to see her snatch. I don't want to hear about her drinking. I wish she had boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2024 11:33 PM

She's that twat in school with no self-awareness who always sat in the first row and constantly had their hand up, while the rest of the class rolled their eyes and the teacher pretended not to see her.

by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2024 11:57 PM

The only thing of Anne's I was "inside" was her purse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 1, 2024 12:44 AM

She's a terrific FFH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 1, 2024 2:01 AM

[quote] [R57], the Princess Diaries where she lifted up her skirt and said "Lick me! Lick me!"

You're confusing her with Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2024 2:16 AM

Can't stand her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2024 2:21 AM

The bangs work for her.

by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2024 2:24 AM

Female rat fink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 1, 2024 2:29 AM

I want to like her so much. I think she is spectacularly beautiful, and a talented actress. But she sets off my narcissism-alarm, big time.

by Anonymousreply 71May 1, 2024 2:33 AM

I wouldn’t call her a “wonderful” actress R35. She can be very good when called upon. I’ve been surprised by her before. But her public persona and PR are an absolute nightmare. She reads as insincere and annoying. I don’t think this is anything that can be solved. It’s been like this her entire career. Not exactly sure how she manages to hang on. She hasn’t made a movie anyone has wanted to watch in quite awhile.

by Anonymousreply 72May 1, 2024 1:06 PM

She is deranged. I think she had narcissistic personality tendencies, BUT she’s finally aware of it and, recently, shows some improvement.

Her acting has actually never been better. She slayed in ‘Eileen’, and ‘Idea of You’ is getting great reviews. In the right role, she’s a great actress. She’s no Cate Blanchett, but she’s better than Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. I think she has more depth and that’s partly due to how neurotic she is in real life.

by Anonymousreply 73May 1, 2024 1:14 PM

Cunt is worse than Hitler!

by Anonymousreply 74May 2, 2024 12:02 AM

She’s a mediocre boring actress and theater nerd who acts like she’s not a boring actress and theater nerd. She also has zero, nay even, negative sex appeal. For a grown adult woman, that’s odd. The capper is her mile wide over-toothed face. She looks like the Joker with that giant mouth.

by Anonymousreply 75May 2, 2024 2:32 AM

I disagree r75. She looks like a movie star. Her style I had never been better. She’s in great shape (amazing posture). Movie star hair and her face is undeniably pretty. That said, she can come across as full of herself, but I think that was more of an issue 10 years ago.

Julia Roberts also has that wide smile. It’s star quality. It’s part of her charisma. Zoe Kravitz never smiles, and she ain’t no leading lady as result!

by Anonymousreply 76May 2, 2024 5:00 AM

She could write one hell of a memoir if it just didn't go in the expected directions people expected it go:

*"I hated playing Jane Austen! What a priss."

*"The best thing about winning that Oscar was shoving my win down Sally Field's throat."

*"What most people didn't realize about the Academy Awards that year that I hosted was that it was I, not James Franco, who was abusing heroin backstage."

*"I learned on the set of The Princess Diaries that there is just no bugger cunt in Hollywood than Julie Andrews."

by Anonymousreply 77May 2, 2024 5:24 AM

Yep, projecting.

by Anonymousreply 78May 2, 2024 5:43 AM

EVERYONE HATES HATHAWAY.

by Anonymousreply 79May 3, 2024 12:33 PM

It's easier to be sober this long after one's career collapsed. Plenty of time for ME work.

by Anonymousreply 80May 3, 2024 12:36 PM

[quote]r72 “I learned on the set of ‘The Princess Diaries’ that there is just no bugger cunt in Hollywood than Julie Andrews." (Anne Hathaway)

I heard Hathaway immediately turning that set into a battlefield. She’d loudly and repeatedly call Andrews “Granny” and laugh, saying it as many times as possible. (“Will Granny be sitting over here in this scene? Do we have the Granny filter ready? What if Gwanny [italic]cwiiiiiiiiiies[/italic] again??”)

It was shameful. And when the frail Dame Julie finally went to the front office to complain, they laughed in her face and said they could get her replaced with Joan Collins in two minutes. Julie had to crawl back to the set with her tail between her legs, which only made Anne meaner.

I’ve never heard of anything like it!

by Anonymousreply 81May 3, 2024 5:49 PM

CHEMISTRY PEOPLE ! Bambi can't get enough of that AnnE pus....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 3, 2024 6:07 PM

^ Fish get back in the sea!

by Anonymousreply 83May 3, 2024 6:09 PM

R79 example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 3, 2024 6:13 PM

Bambi certainly has a type and AnnE ain't it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 3, 2024 6:21 PM

Well since we´re at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 3, 2024 6:21 PM

This is her type

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 3, 2024 6:23 PM

I like her in the NYT interview. The interviewer is a total pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 88May 3, 2024 8:12 PM

I think she's stunning, even if her features are odd. Wears clothing beautifully. A good actress, loved her in Les Mis. Didn't care for her in The Devil Wears Prada though. I thought she was annoying. Emily Blunt stole every single scene she was in, she was the absolute light in the film.

by Anonymousreply 89May 4, 2024 12:53 AM

I wonder if the age of the romantic interest was focus-grouped? Lots of stories in the news about female teachers and h.s. boys... I guess 24 sounded enough past puberty.

by Anonymousreply 90May 4, 2024 1:01 AM

R90 Lots of stories in the news about fag hags...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 4, 2024 5:48 AM

An older woman falls for a younger gay man. It's been done better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 4, 2024 6:18 AM

THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 93May 4, 2024 7:30 AM

Five years sober and 10 years boring.

by Anonymousreply 94May 4, 2024 9:38 AM

There something wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 95May 4, 2024 11:00 AM

R95 IS A HATHAHATER!

by Anonymousreply 96May 4, 2024 11:28 AM

EVERYONE HATES HATHAWAY.

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2024 1:26 PM

She's probably on the spectrum

by Anonymousreply 98May 4, 2024 2:01 PM

She has an off-putting personality, and people just generally don’t find her likable. Not everyone can be a Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 99May 4, 2024 2:04 PM

R96 AnnEphobe!

by Anonymousreply 100May 4, 2024 3:28 PM

I realize giving interviews to promote a film is part of the job, but in her case it has a negative effect. She really needs to not do this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 101May 4, 2024 3:44 PM

This is an example of her unlikeable-ness. It’s funny that the audience hasn’t read the book because they are such low brows. But the book is a trashy romance.

To be fair, I’m not sure how she could have handled this situation differently and she doesn’t some off that badly. But there is an element of unjustified superiority.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 4, 2024 3:45 PM

The book was cheesey Frau fanfic and the streamer was faithful to it. It has an 82% on RT.

by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2024 4:02 PM

This Anne did it way better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 4, 2024 4:08 PM

And 10 years hitless

by Anonymousreply 105May 4, 2024 4:32 PM

She was excellent in Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 106May 4, 2024 4:47 PM

AnnE in Brokeback is my favorite Drag Race girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 4, 2024 5:19 PM

R107, who put that Lasso Apso on Anne's head? Good Lord, did anyone on set think that actually looked good?

by Anonymousreply 108May 4, 2024 5:31 PM

r108, the point was she was NOT supposed to look good by that point. She was supposed to look trashy.

by Anonymousreply 109May 4, 2024 5:34 PM

R109 - So the character is known to wear ridiculous wigs around the house?

by Anonymousreply 110May 4, 2024 5:36 PM

R110 No. That was moi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 5, 2024 5:31 AM

The problem with people I know who loudly proclaim on their FB and Insta feeds that they are sober is this. They are begging for "you go girl" affirmations, but nine times out of ten, they were assholes when they were drinking/using and they are still assholes. Miss me with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 112May 5, 2024 5:39 AM

[quote]R112 The problem with people I know who loudly proclaim on their FB and Insta feeds that they are sober is this. They are begging for "you go girl" affirmations, but nine times out of ten, they were assholes when they were drinking/using and they are still assholes.

How do you know so many unpleasant people, and why are you still friends with them on FaceBook?

by Anonymousreply 113May 5, 2024 7:32 AM

She was never a drunk. She’s lying for attention. Most of what she says is fake.

by Anonymousreply 114May 5, 2024 10:59 AM

Is she a smoker? She sounds like one.

by Anonymousreply 115May 7, 2024 1:18 AM

I love Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 116May 7, 2024 1:40 AM

Anne Hathaway >> Emily Cunt

by Anonymousreply 117May 7, 2024 4:53 AM

I saw “idea of you” yesterday. She’s good in it, and do is Nicholas, but it’s such a Nancy Myers wannabe Amazon Prime movie.

She deserves better material. She can be a tremendous actress with the right material (‘Rachel Getting Married’ - she should have won).

by Anonymousreply 118May 7, 2024 5:00 AM

Am I related to her?

by Anonymousreply 119May 7, 2024 11:57 AM

Is she still excessively amiable and cross eyed?

by Anonymousreply 120May 7, 2024 12:04 PM

I agree R114. She’s way too ambitious to be an alcoholic. She’s saying it to appear like she has an edge.

by Anonymousreply 121May 7, 2024 1:39 PM

I also don't believe she was an alcoholic. Maybe she was beginning to develop a problem with alcohol and over drinking. You can't do that when you have two little kids so it was probably just easier for her to stop altogether rather than risk getting drunk and hungover again.

by Anonymousreply 122May 7, 2024 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!