Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tesla FSD Full Self Driving Software- Latest Release

I don't have a Tesla, so I wondered how the FSD (Full Self Driving) feature was working in it since Tesla is supposed to be introducing Robotaxis in August.

This is a video of the latest release of the software and it looks rather amazing. Even if it really won't be ready this year, you can see where all this is going. Will the AI software eventually be a better driver than a potentially distracted human driver?

The driver in this video is using FSD to drive through a road construction site in San Francisco. The driver is really enthusiastic about this updated software (which may be irritating to some), but he explains that last year he would consider the software "the worst driver on the road." It apparently has really improved.

If you look at the display behind his steering wheel, you'll see what the FSD software sees: cartoonish representations of cars, trucks, people and other obstacles as they move about the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 9:02 PM

We aren’t a fan in my house. The FSD package is offered for free for a month and then you have to pay a subscription fee.

Elon isn’t really interested in making cars and sees software as the real product Tesla sells.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2024 12:15 AM

Yes, the free trial plus the huge price cut (still way overpriced at $8k) show Tesla is trying to get FSD into as many cars as possible. It’s a lot better but still sketchy imo.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2024 12:22 AM

I worry about the rapid obsolescence of technology like this, and the predatory pricing schemes to monetize it all.

Also,I see a real potential in myself to adopt and abuse these tools, to order every meal online and have it delivered, overuse assistive tech, spend too much on tools that make me lazier and less capable of things like orienting myself in a city, cooking my own food, making and keeping real friends instead of virtual ones.

I probably sound Amish here, but all that twitters isn’t gold. My most “wired friends” are often really broke and lonely, and I don’t want to become like them. I know I could.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 4:04 PM

I have a Model Y, and I've had the free full self-driving this month. It was kind of fun to play with at first, but I haven't used it much since the first few days. It drives way too slowly. I had it drive me to my sister's house, and it mostly performed well. But it's far from perfect. Not even close to being ready for release (hence it being still in beta after all these years). I used it the other day to make a left turn, and it completed the turn, but it tried to get in the wrong lane and I had to disengage before it hit another car.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 7:04 PM

R4 Yikes that sounds scary.

Will it help you park in a tight space?

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 7:37 PM

It sucks. I doubt many will pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 7:57 PM

Guilty here of responding without watching the clip. Watching now, it’s actually impressive to see how the narrator doesn’t even touch the steering wheel. Maybe in five years I will consider this tech if I’m able to do other things while it navigates. It would be cool to be able to simply get in and let the vehicle navigate its way out of NYC to a weekend home. Maybe send the vehicle to collect an elderly guest, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 9:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!