Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've been rewatching Roseanne

...for the first time since it originally aired. It was a show I enjoyed watching with my parents in the early/mid-90s. I was in elementary and middle school during its best seasons, so a lot went over my head. Rewatching it now, I'm struck by how at its best, the show was in a class of its own -- infinitely funnier and , at times, more moving than the average 90s sitcom. Many episodes feel like these touching, funny slice-of-life one-act plays. The Conners felt like a real family. And, what I didn't recognize or appreciate when I was a kid, is how progressive the show was. It's such a shame that she became such a right wing lunatic in the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 3:48 AM

Well, babe, hate to tell you but the left has become all left wing lunatics since Roseanne’s Planet of the Apes drama.

When are you transitioning and joining Hamas?

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 6:27 PM

Non sequitur and hysterical R1. Roseanne IS a rightwing lunatic though.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 6:30 PM

FUCK Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2024 12:20 AM

She’ll never admit it but the best seasons were when she was with Tom Arnold.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2024 12:48 AM

OP, I'm sure you'll be pleased to see this recording of your icon Roseanne claiming Joe Biden raped her 25 years ago in a Bergdorf's shoe department dressing room. NO YOU REALLY CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP! (And this was three days ago btw.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2024 12:55 AM

Those last couple of seasons were terrible. The episode when David works at a Disney-style park? God that was awful. When Roseanne gives birth on Halloween and speaks to Jerry Garcia’s ghost? But the following season was worse.

And I agree that the best seasons were when Tom Arnold was working on it with her. There were some nice episodes like the Mother’s Day barbecue in the backyard and all the scenes with Leon and Bonnie at Rodbells.

But it’s all in the past.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2024 1:14 AM

I agree OP.

Seasons 3-6 were brilliant and some of the best stuff ever produced by a TV sitcom. The show was more serialized than just about any sitcom before (or after) with the season 4-5 storyline of the family's economic dowturn (to the point where the power was cut off) the best of the continuing storylines. The show was rarely glib. It looked like a real home and therefore a real family.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 1:59 AM

That first episode of Season Five -starting with DJ lying on the phone to the creditors, to the announcement of the shop closing and Becky asking about Mark, to Darlene inadvertently pushing Becky to leave with Mark by reminding her what a hellhole town they live in, to the fight in the kitchen that really convinces Becky to make the decision she does…. That was masterfully written. You can just feel the tension rising throughout the episode.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2024 2:09 AM

R7 - funny, I decided to start with season 3, as I distantly recall the show still finding its legs in the earlier seasons. Looking forward to moving onto the 'middle' seasons soon. I'll definitely be skipping the later seasons in which multiple sharks were jumped.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2024 2:36 AM

It’s almost hard to believe those great seasons were shot on an LA soundstage. The cast and setting so fully capture small town poverty.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2024 2:42 AM

R9 Yes, I think seasons 1 and 2 are a little bit too cutesy. Besides Roseanne and Jackie quitting their factory jobs in protest, the first two seasons are the least political and therefore less impactful and more humdrum unlike the great middle seasons.

The show also had so many wonderful recurring characters that weaved in and out of the show throughout the seasons. It also didn't have the continuity problems that many other sitcoms had up to this point. However, there were major rewrites on the personalities of Dan's mother and Roseanne's father for instance.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2024 2:43 AM

The sad truth though is that Roseanne has always been severely mental ill. In the 90s the manifested in the multiple personalities and the national anthem crotch grab and the power trips and all the manic stunts she pulled. Now, it’s MAGA. But she needed help then, as she does now, it just felt more harmless then.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2024 2:44 AM

R12 - She undoubtedly had and continues to have mental health issues, but I don't think those alone can excuse her virulently racist, xenophobic and insanely reactionary far-right behavior.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2024 2:48 AM

The 8th season was supposed to be the last which was why lecy goranson came back. The original Jerry Garcia storyline was that Dan and Roseanne were going to have one last hurrah before their daughter was born and go to a Grateful Dead concert. Roseanne would go into labor at the the concert and give birth at the show. Of course that got scrapped with Garcia’s death that summer so you ended up with the horrible Garcia ghost Halloween episode.

I remember reading Roseanne had much more input on scripts and storylines the last 2 seasons of the show and the show suffered for it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 3:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!