Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYT - Shelley Duvall Vanished From Hollywood. She’s Been Here the Whole Time

‘Hello, I’m Shelley Duvall’ Despite her decades’ long disappearance, Ms. Duvall’s filmography has thrived. Instagram users regularly source new Shelley material from an apparently bottomless archival trove.

“Hello, I’m Shelley Duvall,” a line Ms. Duvall would utter as she presented each episode of “Faerie Tale Theatre,” is sampled ad nauseam in posts. Yet there are no books, no documentaries, no star on the Walk of Fame. Seemingly dismissed and forgotten by the filmmaking establishment, she has become a cult figure for the quirky, the alternative and the misunderstood — and they seem to want to protect her, and her legacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2024 9:29 PM

Thank you for sharing this! I love me some Shelley Duvall

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 6:40 PM

Wow, so cutting edge, New York Times. It's not as if every paper hasn't already written this article 4-5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 6:44 PM

I thought she had died.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2024 6:46 PM

It’s a little reductive and repetitive of the Hollywood Reporter article from a few years ago but still fun to see her. She is lucky to have her partner, he seems really patient and kind

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2024 6:53 PM

Exactly, r2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2024 7:08 PM

I believe her. Hollyweird is a weird place. I believe that many people there are actually shapeshifters. No one says that randomly. Even if they are mentall ill. Shelley must have seen some things in the 80s or even recently. Dark rituals surround that place in the hills...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2024 7:09 PM

I’m the Sheriff of Nottingham.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2024 7:12 PM

Can you imagine how bad her pussy smells?

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2024 7:12 PM

1:20 "He looks real good in some forms and in other forms he doesn't"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2024 7:13 PM

Shape shifting

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2024 8:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2024 8:30 PM

Squirting doll.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2024 10:03 PM

REDRUM!

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2024 10:07 PM

The person who’s stalking me…..is the Sheriff of Nottingham

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 10:08 PM

Nothing that Ozempic, a facelift and a new hairstyle can't fix! She could be back in the game!!!

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2024 12:17 AM

Can’t believe Madonna’s ex is still with her.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2024 1:10 AM

Is she QANON, too,?

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2024 1:17 AM

I agree, r16.

While it’s sad that she’s mentally not well and aged rapidly, it’s impressive that Dan Giltoy from The Breakfast Club has been her loyal partner for over thirty years now. She’s lucky. Not many people have achieve that kind of love and devotion in life.

Yeah, he dated Madonna when she was a struggling artist before she hit it big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2024 1:18 AM

Shelley IS Eleanor Roosevelt!!

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2024 1:45 AM

I just finally watched "3 Women" for the first time last Fall. In it, she's the same as she ever is. But the movie is one I'll definitely watch again. It IS Altman, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2024 2:00 AM

R20 she’s brilliant in that movie

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2024 2:13 AM

Shelley IS Norma Desmond IN Sunset Boulevard

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2024 2:28 AM

If she would just take medication she'd be back to normal. Remember when Datalounge was following the rumors about her being in the middle of the desert walking around talking about aliens? Then the National Enquirer picked up it years later confirming it?

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2024 2:41 AM

Apparently, Shelley’s partner Dan Gilroy also once dated Jay Leno.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2024 2:42 AM

She had so many great actors and character for Faerie Tale Theater, it is kind of nuts. Liza, Lee Remick, Gregory Hines, Karen Black, Klaus Kinski, Linda Manz, just to name a few

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2024 2:42 AM

3 Women has mesmerized me since I was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2024 2:57 AM

I saw it and liked it but found it inscrutable. Can someone discuss what they see in it? (Should I start one of those threads, Let's Discuss "Three Women," and don't forget to check out my blog post on it!)?

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2024 4:00 AM

One of the comments notes that Shelley has (or had) a serious drug problem, something not mentioned in the article but which the commenter links to Shelley's deteriorating mental health over the years.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2024 4:53 AM

“These walls are thinner than Shelley Duvall!” That's pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2024 5:12 AM

Shelley was incredibly thin even by 1970s standards. She looked like an exclamation point.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2024 5:28 AM

Her looks were "delicate," and not just by physical standards, like an Olive Oyl ectomorph waif. She always looked like there was some mental vulnerability in play.

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2024 5:46 AM

This isn't much of an in interview (from a year ago) by two of the producers of her recent horror film, "The Forest Hills," but she seems pretty happy, just tired and a bit forgetful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2024 7:20 AM

R27 3 women was based on a literal dream Altman had, even Shelley and Sissy were in the dream. It was definitely inspired by Bergman’s Persona. I enjoy the concept of people switching minds. I love the derelict California atmosphere. Love pathetic Millie and how oblivious she is to everyone making fun of her. What a character. Sissy is like a blank slate searching for someone to latch on to. The three women supposedly represent different stages of a woman’s life. Sissy is childhood, Shelley is a teenager, and the third one is motherhood. After the birth incident they seem to shift forward with Shelley becoming older and wiser.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2024 7:49 AM

I lov that she smokes Parliaments.

A chic way to kill yourself

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2024 7:53 AM

I think she was great in this interview, very gracious and kind. She has that certain presence and ought to talk more publicly, if it makes her happy.

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2024 10:46 AM

I have a weekend home in the Hill Country town that she lives in, and I've run into her a few times. She's been relaxed and friendly every time, although the grocery store cashiers seem to be terrified of her!

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2024 12:15 PM

Shelley Duvall and Sean Young are ALWAYS good for a profile piece because they always deliver the goods!

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2024 12:27 PM

I thought I’d read something about the people on Dr Phil asking her to say loopy things because it’d be good television.

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2024 12:32 PM

People always point to “The Shining” that led her to this point but she did lots of things after it: “Popeye”, “Time Bandits”, and years of “Faerie Tale Theater”and her “Tall Tales” program not to mention perfect casting as the Countess Gemini in Jane Campion’s “The Portrait of a Lady.”

I think it’s sad what happened to her, whatever caused this break.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2024 1:19 PM

I think it’s legit mental illness left untreated for years. She doesn’t have a bad life, Her partner sounds wonderful and has been by her side for over thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2024 1:45 PM

Shelley

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2024 6:00 PM

Shelley.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2024 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!