Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pete Buttigieg just made it easier to get refunds on canceled flights

Right wingnuts are furious at Pete Buttigieg again. This time they’re upset with him for, wait for it, making it easier for travelers to get refunds on canceled flights.

The 42-year-old Transportation Secretary just announced new federal rules that say airline customers are entitled to automatic cash refunds, not vouchers or travel credits, whenever an airline screws up.

“From now on, when your flight is canceled for any reason, you are entitled to an automatic cash refund and it has to be prompt,” he told CNN today.

“If you get delayed significantly, that means three hours domestically, six hours internationally, or if there’s another significant change to your itinerary–like maybe you were going to go into one airport, they actually changed the airport on you or something like that–you’re going to get your money back.”

Sounds fair to us!

The new rules also require airlines are more transparent about about fees for baggage, seating upgrades, or changing flights (a.k.a. “junk fees”), as well as issue refunds on fees for bags that arrive more than 12 hours late on domestic flights or 15 to 30 hours late on international flights. Refunds must also be issued for in-flight WiFi fees if the internet goes down mid-flight, and upgraded seat fees if the seats are no longer available at boarding time.

In other words, airlines will actually have to provide the goods and services they charge people for. Also, no more hidden fees!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2024 3:40 PM

This is the way it should be.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 3:49 PM

I read the article linked in the OP as I couldn't understand why anyone would be mad at this. It seems like people reply to anything he writes on Twitter with hate, regardless of what he says.

“You are the poster child for why DEI hires are a bad idea,” one person remarked.

Why? Surely bringing in a consumer protection measure as a "DEI hire" would show such hires are a good thing? Just shows how homophobes are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 3:57 PM

Love Pete!

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2024 4:00 PM

GO Pete!!

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2024 4:29 PM

I’m sorry but he looks like Bugs Bunny or maybe The Grinch in that photo

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2024 6:49 PM

He does look like a rabbit in that photo. He better work on his appearance if he really plans to run for President in 2028.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2024 7:24 PM

So does this mean that ticket agents or gate agents will be expected to give "automatic cash refunds" under the circumstances listed?

You just know that the crazy people that fly these days will be lining up for their "cash refund".

I foresee that the long lines of people trying to just check in will be a worse nightmare with added refund seekers in the queue.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2024 8:31 PM

Will we also be seeing armed robberies at the airports when thieves realize that the agents will have loads of cash on hand?

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2024 8:33 PM

Tickets, I'm sure, will be refunded the way they were bought. I'm guessing nearly 100% are bought on-line with a credit card. So no cash refund, but a credit card refund from the agent, no questions asked.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2024 8:46 PM

The OP's quote from Pete reads "automatic cash refunds".

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2024 8:51 PM

Pete for Prez 2024. Biden needs to step aside. Or shuffle aside.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2024 8:53 PM

Ok he’s forgiven for that stupid bullet train endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2024 9:24 PM

I don’t want a refund. I want the airline to get me to my destination asap, by whatever means necessary.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2024 9:38 PM

The stupid bitch at R12 thinks bullet trains are stupid?

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 9:41 PM

Don’t make me fly Spirit!

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2024 9:48 PM

Presidential material.

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 9:50 PM

I've never been on a flight that's been canceled.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2024 9:52 PM

What, me worry?

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2024 9:52 PM

He could do the opposite of this or anything in between, and the nuts would be mad at him about that, too. Meanwhile, life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2024 10:01 PM

R13 must fly Oleta Adam’s Airlines.

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2024 10:07 PM

The kind of people criticizing him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2024 10:40 AM

The pic of Pete @OP makes him look like Alfred E. Neuman.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2024 12:58 PM

Pete just delivers and delivers and delivers. Amazing man. Can't wait until he's President.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2024 1:06 PM

[quote] Pete just delivers and delivers and delivers. Amazing man.

That's exactly what his husband says each morning.

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2024 3:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!