Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How are things in glocca morra?

Find out and watch Finian's Rainbow (1968)

Starring Fred Asraire , Petula Clark , Don Francks, Tommy Steele, and Keenan Wynn

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 2:38 AM

I love this movie so much. Petula sings like an angel. Also Coppola used many new film techniques at the time, very evident in the "Devil Moon" number. I watch it whenever I can and get carried away. Please don't dis it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 2:31 AM

R1 I came here to state my dislike but after reading your post, I won't.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 3:56 AM

I never miss a Don Francks musical.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2024 10:18 PM

Barfworthy movie of a barfworthy musical.

The lyrics of the OP's cited song sing about her skipping around the sights of home she lovingly describes by names covering the whole of Eire.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2024 11:22 PM

"Finian's Rainbow" was the first stage musical I ever saw (in 1968; our rival high school did it.) And it cemented my love for musical comedies, which began with movie versions, soundtracks, and OBC albums in the '60s. And "Finian's," despite its flaws and dated subject matter, still holds a special place in my heart. So I was thrilled when I found out that they were making a movie version, which was released while I was in college. So I saw it as soon as I could. I was not disappointed at all--except for the removal of some songs. I mean, you had Fred Astaire and Petula Clark! Don Francks was hot--despite the horrible hair, and I've always liked Al Freeman and Keenan Wynn. To me the worst was Tommy Steele, who was just too hammy (and MUCH too tall.)

I did finally get to see a Broadway production of FR a while back (the revival with Kate Baldwin, Cheyenne Jackson, and Christopher Fitzgerald--although Cheyenne was out the night I saw it.) It still enthralled me, and I even purchased the cast album. I guess it boils down to two things -- that first exposure to live musical theater, and the glorious score--especially the wildly inventive lyrics from Yip Harburg.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2024 2:29 AM

I hate the book. But my God that's a glorious score.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2024 2:35 AM

Tommy Steele is an example of a Broadway performer playing to the balcony and not toned down by the director.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 2:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!