Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you enjoy hiking?

The older I get the more I appreciate nature. I started hiking last year, mostly just hiking trails close to where I live, but they're challenging enough. I consider doing longer mountain hikes in the future, but I need to improve my fitness first. I'm depressed and have found that hiking has a positive effect on both my physical and mental health. I have gained a lot of kgs lately as I'm on anti-depressants, so I'm trying to lose weight too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 7:46 PM

Love it, try to do it whenever I get the opportunity, usually when I go on holiday. I recall seeing some research that showed that being out in nature is good for depression and I can believe that, I find its good for me mentally as well as physically. I'm in a local gay hiking group, so I get to do at least half a dozen in a year unless they clash with my shiftwork or other commitments

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2024 10:45 AM

There are definitely many therapeutic benefits to hiking. Even what’s known as forest bathing which is just a walk out in nature. There is a lot of information about it.

I’ve been an avid hiker for several years and have joined several hiking groups. I love a challenging hike.

However, I discovered how much I simply love walking during the early days of the pandemic when we were on lockdown. Every day I would log off work at 5:30 and head out for a walk. I found all sorts of trails nearby that wouldn’t have been long enough for my hiking buddies but perfect for a solo hike with little risk of getting lost or injured and not being able to call for help. As weeks of lockdown turned into months, these trails were becoming increasingly crowded. I then started my walks after dark which I found even more exhilarating. Sometimes it was just around my neighborhood, or through town and through the park. But I also used a headlamp and went on the trails sometimes. I startled many foxes and heard all sorts of owls. I haven’t been night hiking in a long time but now that the weather is warming up maybe I will start again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2024 4:13 PM

I hiked today. Walked 7 km, which is about 4.3 miles. I'm so tired, but it was worth it. Lovely weather today too.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 8:08 PM

No. Hiking is walking in the dirt.

I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 9:06 PM

Good for you OP! - Hiking is wonderful for physical and mental health.

I used to hike quite a lot years ago, and I bitterly regret losing the habit. I’m also trying to get into it again, but I’m lamentably fat and unfit currently, so I am still at the “stagger to the next park bench” state of physical fitness, but I’m doing better than I was a month ago, and,for the first time in a long time I think I may be able to persevere long enough to see and feel a benefit.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 9:13 PM

I love to sing “valereee, valeraaahhhh!” in the avalanche prone areas especially.

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 9:39 PM

Hiking, nature, and fresh air are amazing. And exercise makes the biggest dent in depression and anxiety—and believe me I’ve had several decades of experience with both.

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 10:00 PM

I hike in this area...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 4:02 PM

Definitely not.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 4:36 PM

R9 Why not?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 4:40 PM

Love it. Grew up spending my summers in the Adirondacks.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 5:01 PM

R1 tell that to all the Japanese that go to that suicide forest.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 5:05 PM

I’m lazy I guess r10. I can do an organized workout but hiking was never something I enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 7:27 PM

Climbed all of the four thousand footers in the Whites. Hiked Mt Washington on every trail that exists that reaches the summit. I'm old and and can't do that stuff anymore but I had many, many years of fun.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!