Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

By request, a "To Tell the Truth" thread`

As requested on the "What's My Line?" thread ...

[quote]Do we need a separate TTTT thread or can we piggyback here? I'd like to discuss religious Bud Collyer, Tom Poston and his 17 yr old girlfriend, creepy Orson Bean, gracious Southern belle Kitty and Peggy Cass' weight fluctuations.

I also loved TTTT, from the 1950s version ("you'll get a carton of Salem cigarettes on your way out") through the groovy Pucci-inspired set and swingin' theme song of the 1960s.

Later iterations included a 1980s version variously hosted by Alex Trebek, Joe Garagiola, and Lynn Swann, as well as a dimly remembered 2000s remake with an all-gay panel.

The current version with Anthony Anderson is not worth mentioning or watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 26, 2024 1:58 AM

Little fifth grader Anderson Cooper who attended The Dalton School was an impostor. I assume The Dalton School is a fancy schmancy school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2024 11:17 PM

I do miss Dristan!

(you could split the pill open and carve out the embedded speed capsule)

It gave a gal a little more bounce in ones step!

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2024 11:24 PM

Yes, OP, the current version is an abomination. Unlike every other iteration, the principal & imposters seem to be paid a flat rate, irrespective of how well or poorly they do in fooling the panelists.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2024 12:44 AM

In her first three shows as a temporary panelist, Peggy Cass went 9 for 9, voting for the principal each time.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2024 12:55 AM

Was Kitty's husband Moss Hart gay?

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2024 1:20 AM

The widow Kitty was engaged to former NY Gov. Thomas E. Dewey, the GOP's presidential nominee in '44 & '48, at the time of his unexpected death.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2024 1:46 AM

R2 Why, I haven't heard the name Dristan for decades.

(I'm surprised some basic bitch hasn't named her kid that)

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2024 1:48 AM

Loved the episode with Hedy Lamarr's hot son who was identified at the end by none other than Hedy herself. I can't remember if her son had any claim to fame other being her son.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2024 1:55 AM

For a moment I misread Anthony Anderson and thought that the guy who played Sebastian Flyte was now hosting a game show.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2024 3:23 AM

I think the guy on the right in OP's photo is Sam Levenson. Was there ever a less funny man on television? He would just drone on and on and on . . .

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2024 9:59 AM

Garry Moore was a recovering alcoholic by the time he hosted TTTT. He quit his both his shows I've got a Secret and The Garry Moore show in 1964 and took two years off. Said he was just drunk and stayed in bed all day doing nothing and his wife temporarily left him before he got help. He never mentioned it on TTTT even when they had alcoholic recovery experts on. He also did not partake when they did wine tasting or anything to do with alcohol.

He must have been a very high functioning drunk as there aren't any stories of bad behavior from his two shows and Carol Burnett and all his other co-stars loved him.

His wife died of cancer in 1974 but they never mentioned it or explained his absence since he took so many vacations anyway. He remarried less than a year later to the wife of a friend who had also passed away. The two couples had been friends for many years.

He was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1976 and disappeared from TTTT in December 1976 without explanation with Bill Cullen and Joe Garagiola filling in. He returned for the season premiere in September 1977 to explain his absence without using the word cancer and retired during the show turning it over to Joe. Show was cancelled in Spring of 1978.

Garry talking about his alcoholism in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2024 10:29 AM

Garry Moore was the best of the panel show host. If not for the availability of the original IGaS * syndicated TTTT episodes, he would be all but forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2024 11:17 AM

Dristan, Contac, Bufferin, Geritol, Doan’s Pills. All sponsored a lot of 70s game shows and soaps and you don’t here about them anymore, having been surpassed by newer brands. Now all you see are the horrible prescription drug ads.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2024 11:46 AM

R1, yes, fancy private school on the UES

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2024 12:05 PM

I've Got a Secret was actually my favorite of all those Goodson/Todman quiz shows when I was a kid, mostly because I adored Betsy Palmer and Bess Myerson. But watching it now on youtube is impossible, it's so boring and contrived. Interesting that Betsy and Bess never appeared on the panels of the other quiz shows, as far as I can remember.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2024 1:35 PM

I hated Tom Poston and Sam Levinson.....but I loved Peggy Cass and Kitty Carlisle and Polly Bergen.

One time in the late 50's they had a famous male hairstylist on. And Polly asked some very serious questions.....and when it came time to vote and Bud asked her who she voted for, Polly replied: "I'm not voting for anybody. None of those men ever set a pin curl in his life!"

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2024 3:22 PM

Polly was enchanted by the beauty of a male model. So was I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2024 4:53 PM

Sam Levinson was a former school teacher, whose humor was very much of a type that appealed to mid-century, Middle America. And he seemed very well-liked by his colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote]And Polly asked some very serious questions.....and when it came time to vote and Bud asked her who she voted for, Polly replied: "I'm not voting for anybody. None of those men ever set a pin curl in his life!"

Typical Polly attention-grabbing on "To Tell the Truth." She came off as overbearing. I liked her, but not on that show.

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2024 7:00 PM

R13 Anacin was another one.

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2024 7:09 PM

I'm pretty sure those Anacin commercials said it could cure "depression". Who'da thunk it. Aspirin for depression.

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2024 7:20 PM

Watching these clips I realize it was the first time I ever heard the word affidavit. I thought it was something about David's affi.

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote]Was Kitty's husband Moss Hart gay?

Yes, but he was miserable being gay.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2024 7:34 PM

Tom Poston was dating a 17-year-old in 1961 when he was 39. How very Alan Thicke and Kristy Swanson. Tom did however marry his teen when she was no longer a teen in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2024 7:40 PM

Eventually Tom Poston ended up married to Suzanne Pleshette.

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2024 7:43 PM

[quote]Anacin was another one.

No one ever talks about having neuritis or neuralgia anymore, but apparently Anacin relived both.

by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2024 8:05 PM

[quote]I've Got a Secret was actually my favorite of all those Goodson/Todman quiz shows when I was a kid, mostly because I adored Betsy Palmer and Bess Myerson. But watching it now on youtube is impossible, it's so boring and contrived.

Yes! I always watched it as a kid, early to mid 1960s. It was the game show with the highest ratings by the way. But I agree it's hard to watch now. It has none of the appeal that WML? has.

by Anonymousreply 27February 20, 2024 8:05 PM

Kitty and Bing.

She looks like Olive Oyl. What a dog!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2024 8:09 PM

OP's photo: Dina Merrill, Sam Levinson, Kitty...but who's the guy on the far left? Carson?

by Anonymousreply 29February 20, 2024 8:14 PM

^ Must be. I don't know who else that could be.

by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2024 8:17 PM

I loved the delighted reactions of the panel - to the person - when the principal failed to get a vote.

by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2024 8:18 PM

To Tell the Truth - PANEL: Johnny Carson, D. Merrill, S. Levenson (Jul 3, 1961)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2024 8:30 PM

Young Johnny was so cute!

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2024 12:36 AM

[quote]No one ever talks about having neuritis or neuralgia anymore, but apparently Anacin relived both.

I swear that I typed "relieved."

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2024 2:11 AM

They should do a remake of this.

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2024 2:17 AM

R1 R14 Jeffrey Epstein taught at Dalton.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2024 3:59 AM

[quote]No one ever talks about having neuritis or neuralgia anymore[quote]

R26 And whatever happened to Geritol?

by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2024 4:00 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 21, 2024 4:02 AM

I'm more of a Dexatrim gal myself.

by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2024 4:04 AM

Yeah, R37, where are those with iron poor blood supposed to do now?

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2024 4:07 AM

I ate chocolate AIDS by the box.

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2024 4:08 AM

When I was a kid in the 70s they advertised AYDS Diet Candy heavily in Parade Magazine and on TV. At some point I asked my mom if they worked.

She replied “Of course not. Your grandmother sucked on AYDS for 20 years and never lost a pound.”

by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2024 4:23 AM

Nobody mentioned Dina Merrill. I like her, despite she was a Republican. But being one then is drastically different than being one today. With all the game shows on prime time now, all we need are some more Westerns and we could be reliving the 1950s again.

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2024 9:42 AM

Let's not forget DLers' OTC drugs of choice: Midol and Pamprin.

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2024 1:32 PM

This portion of The Secret Storm has been brought to you today by Dristan

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2024 1:40 PM

Who was on the original panel of TTTT? Did the show begin as a weekly evening show?

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2024 1:42 PM

The pilot episode, with the title "Nothing But the Truth," was hosted by Mike Wallace, & the panel included Polly, Hildy Parks, John Cameron Swayze & ... Dick Van Dyke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 21, 2024 1:58 PM

Yes, the show began as a prime time series in 1956. A daytime version with different panelists premiered in 1962.

Like What's My Line, it took some time for them to settle on a permanent cast of panelists. For TTTT, the first group of regulars was Kitty Carlisle, Don Ameche, Polly Bergen, and Tom Poston. Peggy Cass replaced Burgen at some point, and Orson Bean took Don Ameche's chair. Phyllis Newman was a regular panelist on the daytime version.

I can't find a source to confirm the dates of the panel changes over the years; this is from what I could glean from IMDB and Wikipedia, and my memory of watching the reruns on GSN. If someone remembers more clearly, I'll happily stand corrected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 21, 2024 2:20 PM

I 've seen all of the primetime shows that are on YouTube. As well as the handful of daytime shows that are available. I just wish more of the daytime shows were on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2024 3:00 PM

Don Ameche acted like Prosecutor cross examining a murder suspect.

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2024 3:00 PM

^ Yes, but his success rate in picking the real person was not good.

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2024 3:10 PM

Orville Redenbacher in 1973 before his popcorn was famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2024 4:01 PM

I never understood why a contestant didn't disclose they knew a panelist upfront. Peggy Cass disqualified herself once because the contestant (a male hairdresser or clothes designer, I don't remember which) lived in the same building as her and she known him since he was a kid. Weren't these things discussed beforehand?

On the flip side a couple of times when Kitty knew the contestant, she hosted and Garry played on the panel. At the end of the segment Kitty hosted in this video, Bert Convy dances with the kids from the dance school, cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2024 5:57 PM

The WML thread seems to be winding down so I'll post this here.

I just watched Polly Bergen's 2 appearances on WML as the mystery guest. She was a hoot! One of the funniest guests ever. Also, funny because she wasn't quite known PRIMARILY as a singer or actress or comedienne so it gave the panelits pause, trying to narrow down her identity. Believe it or not, on her first appearance 1958. they were convinced she was Jackie Gleason. On her second 1962, Dorothy thought she was either Della Reese or Pearl Bailey.

Also, interestingly, in the earlier clip she didn't look nearly as gorgeous as the one a few years later. Maybe the benefit of turtle oils?

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2024 6:11 PM

[quote]I do miss Dristan!

You can still get the nasal spray. I use it and it works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2024 6:15 PM

I used to be obsessed with this commercial for Dristan and the actress's bizarre overenunciation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2024 6:30 PM

Not surprisingly, given the show's audience, the majority of the commercials for "The Lawrence Welk Show" were for Geritol, Sominex and, yes, Serutan. {"Serutan spelled backward is natures.") I can still remember Welk saying, unconvincingly, "Try it, folks. It really works."

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2024 6:42 PM

I saw some old episodes on YouTube

It's a lot of fun

I don't mind the new version with Anthony Anderson. They seem to have a lot of LGBT panelists like Kal Penn and Ross Matthews

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2024 6:42 PM

[quote]I can still remember Welk saying, unconvincingly, "Try it, folks. It really works."

That's a mental image I would not have wanted.

by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote]I don't mind the new version with Anthony Anderson. They seem to have a lot of LGBT panelists like Kal Penn and Ross Matthews

I saw an early episode, thought it was dreadful, and never watched it again. Does he still feature his mother as his co-host?

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2024 8:35 PM

[quote] I saw an early episode, thought it was dreadful, and never watched it again. Does he still feature his mother as his co-host?

Yes. Didn't Bud Collyer, too?

by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2024 8:40 PM

What made the original "To Tell the Truth" interesting was the game itself, and being able to play along. Whereas "What's My Line?" revealed the contestants' occupations when they entered, "To Tell the Truth" didn't let you know in advance who the impostors were. In the new version, the game is just a vehicle for dumbass jokes. It might as well be "The Match Game," whose reruns I find unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 62February 21, 2024 10:04 PM

Wasn't Bud Collyer best known (pre-TTTT) as radio's Superman?

by Anonymousreply 63February 21, 2024 10:29 PM

Bud Collyer's son Mike and his wife in the first game. The panel has to guess which contestant is Mike's wife (Bud's daughter in law).

The second game is funny, I won't spoil it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 21, 2024 10:37 PM

The audience member sitting in the front row, on the December 10, 1967 episode, was a republican. I must therefore hate the show. I mean who allows a republican to be in their audience? I'm sure they would be MAGA today. Not only do I hate the show but I feel all existing copies and videos must be destroyed and/or taken down. HOW DARE THEY!

by Anonymousreply 65February 21, 2024 10:44 PM

r65 =

[quote]Oh look another Trump thread

by Anonymousreply 66February 21, 2024 10:48 PM

R66, figures

by Anonymousreply 67February 21, 2024 10:50 PM

[quote]Wasn't Bud Collyer best known (pre-TTTT) as radio's Superman?

Yes, and he later reprised the role in some TV Superman cartoons in the 1960s. Before "To Tell the Truth," he was the host of the TV game show "Beat the Clock."

by Anonymousreply 68February 21, 2024 11:50 PM

Don't know about you all, but as a kid, I'd frequently cover my eyes when the WML contestant's occupation appeared onscreen before the questioning began. I still sometimes do it with youtube clips. But, honestly, I have to admit, it's usually a funnier watching experience if you know.

by Anonymousreply 69February 21, 2024 11:57 PM

How did they manage to keep panelist Bill Cullen's severe physical disabilities a secret on all those game shows he did with a live audience watching?

I wasn't aware of the his disabilities until long after all of his shows went off the air.

by Anonymousreply 70February 21, 2024 11:59 PM

The camera would never show Bill Cullen walking, aside from brief glimpses. In some cases, show openings would be restaged so that he wouldn't have to do any long crosses across the stage. He could walk unassisted, but with difficulty.

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2024 12:06 AM

But how did they keep that from the studio audience, r71?

Surely they'd have to be seated long before Bill Cullen and the other panelists came onstage. And I could be wrong, but I thought his walking disability was very severe. In any case, not easily hidden.

And, I mean it sincerely.....BRAVO to him however he made it work!

by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2024 12:13 AM

[quote]But how did they keep that from the studio audience

Who said they did, r72?

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2024 12:18 AM

r72, this was interesting--from wikipedia'e Bill Cullen entry:

[quote]Cullen contracted polio in August 1921, when he was 18 months old. The long-term sequelae of that illness, combined with injuries sustained in a serious motor vehicle accident in 1937 requiring a nine-month hospitalization, made it difficult for him to walk or stand for an extended period of time.

[quote]Directors on his game shows took great care to limit the extent that Cullen was shown walking on camera. Each show's set was designed to accommodate Cullen's limited range of motion; the podiums, game boards, props, and any physical movements by contestants were arranged so that Cullen could, for the most part, remain stationary. Rather than the grand entrance common for most game show hosts, Cullen began each show either already seated, or hidden on set behind a nearby prop so he would only have to take a minimum number of steps to his podium. Similar accommodations were made when he appeared as a guest on other game shows.

[quote]As a consequence of these arrangements, many of Cullen's peers were likewise unaware of his disability, which occasionally led to awkward situations. In the August 2010 issue of GQ under the heading "Epic Tales of Embarrassment", Mel Brooks related the following story to writer Steve Heisler:

[quote] "The week of October 17–21 in 1966—that would make me about 40—was a special celebrity week on Eye Guess. Bill Cullen was the host. The game was very similar to Concentration. I was teamed up with Julia Meade. Remember her? Actress, very pretty young lady, blonde... Okay, never mind. I don't think I won, but I did get the take-home game. Anyway, the show is over, and I start walking toward the podium to say good night to Bill, to thank him for having me on. He starts coming toward me cross-stage, and I don't know what he's doing. His feet are flopping. His hands are flying everywhere. He's doing this kind of wacky walk-of-the-unfortunates that Jerry Lewis used to do. So I figured, what the hell, I'll join him. I start doing, I dunno, this multiple-sclerosis walk, flapping my arms and doing the Milton Berle cross legs—my own Jerry Lewis impression... And Julia is whispering, "No! He's crippled, Mel!" I don't even hear her. Finally we meet in the middle, we hug, and he says to me, "You know, you're the only comic who's ever had the nerve to make fun of my crippled walk. Everyone's so careful, it makes me feel even worse." And I realize, Oh, my God, this guy is really crippled! It was my worst moment — and if you weren't me, probably the funniest thing that ever happened."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2024 12:20 AM

The episode with Collyer's son is on YouTube in color and a much better print:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2024 12:24 AM

[quote]But how did they keep that from the studio audience, [R71]?

They'd had a lot of practice with FDR.

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2024 12:24 AM

Collyer's daughter-in-law seen in the clip at R75 is in these groovy commercial's for Singer. I love the swanky music and set design.

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2024 12:27 AM

Oops sorry, the commercial:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2024 12:28 AM

During the Garry Moore years Peggy would walk out during the introduction and just offer up her cheek for Garry to kiss and not reciprocate. Kitty and the other lady guest panelists always kissed back or air kissed, Peggy didn't even try to pretend to kiss.

by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2024 12:29 AM

They taped an entire week’s shows in one day, R79, that’s a lot of kissing to expect of Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 80February 22, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote]But how did they keep that from the studio audience, R71?

I don't think they did, at least not entirely. After he's introduced as a panelist on the syndicated "To Tell the Truth" episodes, he has to take a few steps to get to his seat. The camera immediately cuts away from him, but obviously the audience could see the difficulty he had taking even a few steps.

by Anonymousreply 81February 22, 2024 2:27 AM

There are several episodes when Bill limped in. His story was widely known anyway. He hosted Blockbusters which is one of my favorite game shows up on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 82February 22, 2024 2:51 AM

Kitty had some top draw peeps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 22, 2024 2:55 AM

I love the TTTT theme song and music of the 70s and Garry greeting the panelists.

I watched an episode a while back with Jack Cassidy. A fashion designer was on and Jack asked a lot of knowledgeable questions and someone on the panel snarked (I think it was Kitty!) that he sure did know a lot about women's fashion... I'm trying to find it to post here but haven't had any luck yet.

by Anonymousreply 84February 22, 2024 2:58 AM

As I mentioned on another thread, I was on TTTT when I was about 15, pretending to be a young scientific genius. They gave me and the other pretender several sheets of info about the science guy and then the morning of the show they quizzed us so we'd be ready to answer the celebrities. I got 42 studio audience votes (The most) and Peggy Cass. Kitty Carlisle guessed the real guy. It was actually fun. Made $100 I think.

by Anonymousreply 85February 22, 2024 3:04 AM

A friend of mine's husband complimented her on her legs which pleased her and she said that the legs are the last thing to go.

by Anonymousreply 86February 22, 2024 3:20 AM

What year, R85? Daytime, nighttime or syndicated? And how at age 15 did you come to the producer’s attention?

by Anonymousreply 87February 22, 2024 3:47 AM

R78 - that groovy portable color TV cost “only” $298 — equal to $2,696.47 today.

I’m sure there were several people on your Christmas List you could afford to give it to!

by Anonymousreply 88February 22, 2024 3:58 AM

r85, was Bill Cullen's limp in plain sight of the studio audience (and you)?

by Anonymousreply 89February 22, 2024 12:47 PM

R89, especially as he got older, Bill Cullen's limp was in plain sight of the television viewer.

by Anonymousreply 90February 22, 2024 2:40 PM

R87 -- as I mentioned on another thread, one of these celebrity panelists was my godparent, so I grew up around their social circle. I had the chance to do more tv but my parents didn't think it was the right thing for me, they wanted me to concentrate on school. I wish they hadn't felt so strongly, it would have been much more interesting to have been a child star. And probably much more destructive.

by Anonymousreply 91February 23, 2024 4:11 AM

The panelists had to have been given prepared questions. No way would any of the panelists be able to off the cuff ask questions about specialized subjects like the mechanics of planes.

by Anonymousreply 92February 23, 2024 10:13 AM

My mom was an imposter on the early '90s reboot with Alex Trebek. She & the other imposter received three votes ($500/vote) between them, so they split $1500. They were also paid whatever the daily minimum "scale" rate was for actors, at the time. I don't remember how much that was, but it wasn't a lot...maybe in the neighborhood of $75? I went with her to watch it filmed, which was sort of a hoot! It was fun -- I got to meet Alex 💗 & Kitty Carlisle.

by Anonymousreply 93February 23, 2024 6:06 PM

Was Kitty as lovely and gracious as she appeared, r93?

by Anonymousreply 94February 23, 2024 6:12 PM

I'm not R93, but I met Kitty Carlisle at a book party for Ruth Gordon in the early '80s and she was as lovely and gracious as you would imagine her to be.

by Anonymousreply 95February 23, 2024 7:17 PM

She also looked exactly the same in person as she did on the early '70s syndicated episodes of "To Tell the Truth."

by Anonymousreply 96February 23, 2024 7:25 PM

Kitty and Arlene Francis really did discover the Fountain of Youth. Or perhaps Middle Age.

by Anonymousreply 97February 23, 2024 10:20 PM

R97 Arlene started looking jowly and lined up until around 1960, then suddenly - youth! She either discovered tapes, or had the best work performed that was available at that time.

by Anonymousreply 98February 23, 2024 10:25 PM

*2* GIRLS *2*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 23, 2024 10:59 PM

For DOOL and GH fans, Thaao Penghlis as an Impostor.

He was quite handsome. Creepy looking now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 24, 2024 1:18 AM

That was a cute episode, r100! 3 hot guys and they stumped the panel.

by Anonymousreply 101February 24, 2024 1:33 AM

Ms. Carlisle if you're nasty.

by Anonymousreply 102February 24, 2024 5:40 AM

The WML thread reached 600 replies! And no....poof! It's gone.

by Anonymousreply 103February 25, 2024 2:02 PM

My name is VERONICA LAKE. My NAME is Veronica Lake. My name IS Veronica Lake.

The syndicated version......when Lake's bio came out.

And nobody on the panel recognized her.

Her Wiki page is interesting - if you're interested in Veronica Lake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 25, 2024 2:21 PM

It's still here R103 - just closed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 25, 2024 10:45 PM

I made a part 2 of the "What's My Line?" thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 25, 2024 11:25 PM

And speaking of "I've Got A Secret": I don't understand Betsy Palmer's career. In the 1950s she did prestigious TV plays and had good roles in a few important films with A list actors. She wasn't a top star but she wasn't doing junk either.

Why didn't her acting career take off? She was beautiful, right for the times and she was a good actress.

Betsy and James Dean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 26, 2024 2:18 AM

Betsy was a slut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 26, 2024 2:23 AM

Betsy was no “glamour girl.”

by Anonymousreply 109February 26, 2024 2:29 AM

Like Arlene, Betsy was "pert".

by Anonymousreply 110February 26, 2024 2:33 AM

I had a huge crush on Betsy as a child, watching her on I've Got a Secret, and then decades later, in the early 1980s did a play with her in Philadelphia. She was utterly charming, as sweet and kind and generous as she ever appeared on TV. And wonderful onstage, a real trouper.

I know she'd been married throughout the 50s and 60s to a doctor and they raised a daughter in suburban NJ. I think she made a choice to prioritize family and confine her career to theater and TV in the NY area early in her marriage, and perhaps that's why Hollywood lost or never developed an interest in her. She was certainly as talented and as pretty as most of the women of her generation of actresses. Sadly, her marriage broke up bitterly, I believe in the early-mid 1970s. .

by Anonymousreply 111February 26, 2024 2:33 AM

For some obscure reason, I always enjoyed Peggy Cass.

by Anonymousreply 112February 26, 2024 2:42 AM

Betsy’s husband was an obstetrician. Garry opened one show presenting flowers to her on the occasion of her wedding anniversary. The secret of the first guest, a young boy, was that he was born the early morning after her wedding night, & was delivered by Betsy’s groom, who had to leave the wedding reception.

by Anonymousreply 113February 26, 2024 2:43 AM

Oh, I remember that, r113! Perhaps that explains the inevitable divorce.

by Anonymousreply 114February 26, 2024 2:45 AM

A young Betsy worked in a film with Joan Crawford. When Miss Crawford appeared years later on IGaS, Betsy seemed quite fond of her.

by Anonymousreply 115February 26, 2024 2:49 AM

I would have requested James instead of the spa package.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 26, 2024 3:02 AM

R106, I also made a Part 2 of the "What's My Line?" thread. I didn't know about yours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 26, 2024 7:58 AM

[quote]A young Betsy worked in a film with Joan Crawford. When Miss Crawford appeared years later on IGaS, Betsy seemed quite fond of her.

Not just any Joan Crawford movie, R115. Betsy Palmer was in what may be the ultimate Crawford movie, 1955's "Queen Bee." It's Joan Crawford at her Joan Crawford-est, and high-camp heaven from start to finish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 26, 2024 8:11 AM

Does anyone else remember Betsy in a sweet I've Gat a Secret segment in which the contestant's secret was he was a hair dresser who was going give Betsy a severely short haircut on camera that night because she was starting rehearsals for a NY revival (I think at City Center) of SOUTH PACIFIC the next day? I believe she went on to play Nellie Forbush in many other productions after that. I wonder if it's online? I'll have to look for it.

by Anonymousreply 119February 26, 2024 1:00 PM

I always thought Betsy had a lovely speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 120February 26, 2024 4:21 PM

Is this the Gary that keeps talking Lucy out of good shit?

by Anonymousreply 121February 26, 2024 5:18 PM

r121

GARRY Moore - had his own long-running variety show that featured Carol Burnett before hosting game shows

GARY Morton - Borscht Belt comic who married Lucy and played golf

by Anonymousreply 122February 26, 2024 5:20 PM

R121/122, on his first show after Lucy & Gary Morton wed, the married Garry Moore, ne Thomas Garrison Morfit, opened his show acknowledging all the cards & telegrams congratulating him on his recent marriage to Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 123February 26, 2024 5:50 PM

Garry Moore was a HUGE TV star in the 1950s and early 1960s. Besides his daily morning talk show he emceed I've Got a Secret every Monday night and hosted a truly wonderful variety hour from NYC, also every week, which introduced the country to young Carol Burnett and then later, Carol's replacement the not so young Dorothy Loudon. The incomparable Marion Lorne was also a regular guest.

And Garry would have incredible musical theater guest stars every week, taking advantage of all the talent that was performing on Broadway at that time. A teenaged Barbra Streisand made one of her first TV appearances with Garry. I think the variety hour was shot on Sunday or Monday when Broadway had a night off, and then shown on Tuesday night.

by Anonymousreply 124February 26, 2024 6:23 PM

Dorothy dancing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 26, 2024 6:28 PM

Yes, R124, and he would be forgotten today but for his game show hosting duties.

by Anonymousreply 126February 26, 2024 6:41 PM

Note how Dorothy's strap breaks from her frantic dancing at r125 yet she just keeps going. What a trouper!

by Anonymousreply 127February 26, 2024 6:59 PM

r126, why do you suppose Garry Moore is more remembered now for his game show duties than his variety hour?

by Anonymousreply 128February 26, 2024 7:00 PM

Because, R128, of the availability of TTTT & IGaS on YouTube. Were they - & WML - not so readily available, a lot it this & related DL topics would never have existed.

by Anonymousreply 129February 26, 2024 7:18 PM

‘cause old celebrity game shows can still be fun, old variety shows less so. Pretty simple.

by Anonymousreply 130February 26, 2024 7:26 PM

why do you suppose Carol Burnett is more remembered now for her variety hour than for her guest appearances?

by Anonymousreply 131February 26, 2024 7:27 PM

There is almost no Garry Moore Show content on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 132February 26, 2024 7:28 PM

I suppose so but I, for one, would much rather watch an hour of Garry's variety hour than a half hour of I've Got a Secret. And I was a big fan of both as a child.

by Anonymousreply 133February 26, 2024 7:29 PM

There's *some*, r132.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 26, 2024 7:31 PM

One New Year's Eve on I've Got A Secret, they talked about Betsy doing South Pacific.....and at the end of the show Betsy and her co-star - don't remember his name - did the Twin Soliloquies......it was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 135February 26, 2024 7:48 PM

wardrobe malfunction...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 26, 2024 7:57 PM

Quite no tits!

by Anonymousreply 137February 26, 2024 8:29 PM

Speaking of wardrobe malfunction...

Gary Moore's dick takes center stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 26, 2024 8:39 PM

oopsie

by Anonymousreply 139February 26, 2024 8:46 PM

Sears Catalogue!

by Anonymousreply 140February 26, 2024 8:59 PM

Who would have ever thought the first man to expose his dick on national TV would be.... Gary Moore.

by Anonymousreply 141February 26, 2024 9:09 PM

Do we know that he was really the first, R141?

by Anonymousreply 142February 26, 2024 9:16 PM

Betsy Palmer was Mrs. Voorhees.

by Anonymousreply 143February 26, 2024 9:17 PM

[quote]Do we know that he was really the first, R141?

Well who would it have been? Wally Cox in Mr. Peepers?

by Anonymousreply 144February 26, 2024 9:23 PM

J was thinking maybe Robert Q. Lewis, R144. Anything to perk up the dreary "The Name's the Same."

by Anonymousreply 145February 26, 2024 9:31 PM

r133 = Durward Kirby's grandson.

by Anonymousreply 146February 26, 2024 10:47 PM

R146, not his grandson, but - starting at 9:30 - Durwood Kirby's son, with Steve Allen at the helm of IGaS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 26, 2024 10:55 PM

[quote] Durwood Kirby's son

DURWARD

by Anonymousreply 148February 26, 2024 11:17 PM

I'm Endora, R148. It's Dagwood.

by Anonymousreply 149February 26, 2024 11:25 PM

Dimwit

by Anonymousreply 150February 26, 2024 11:25 PM

Mustn't forget the Kirwood Derby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 26, 2024 11:29 PM

His cousin Boxcar was so much more talented.

by Anonymousreply 152February 27, 2024 1:34 AM

John Scopes, "the defendant in the most famous court trial of this century."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 24, 2024 7:29 PM

Starting at 16:20, Melvin Purvis, the FBI agent who captured John Dillinger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 24, 2024 7:30 PM

Jay Sebring - Game #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 24, 2024 7:38 PM

DL fave Rex Reed as an imposter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 24, 2024 7:39 PM

Principal Rosa Parks, on a syndicated version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 24, 2024 7:43 PM

Principal Larry King, on a syndicated version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 24, 2024 7:44 PM

A list of well-known "central characters" & imposters over the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 24, 2024 7:46 PM

Jeffrey Epstein taught at the Dalton School.

by Anonymousreply 160March 24, 2024 8:15 PM

I remember seeing Betsy Palmer onstage a couple of times - in the 70s or early 80s, it would have been. In A Doll's House at a local summer theater that in the off months, had classic plays that were attended by high school classes - and in Same Time, Next Year, which was on the road. She was a good actress. I always thought she was kind of on the butch side. (I also think she was on the Captain Kangaroo show.)

by Anonymousreply 161March 24, 2024 8:19 PM

I have a dim but positive memory of watching TTTT daily at the time it had Poston, Kitty Carlisle, Peggy Cass, and Orson Bean on the panel. I was not very old, and it was on after school, and came on before the soap, The Edge of Night. My mom watched it every weekday. I remember Budd Collyer's bow tie was usually crooked. I also remember the Anacin commercials. Mother, I'd rather do it myself! Not sure if Anacin was the sponsor, but I thought it was.

by Anonymousreply 162March 24, 2024 8:22 PM

It’s too bad that only a handful of the daytime episodes appear to be available, R162.

by Anonymousreply 163March 24, 2024 8:29 PM

R163 Is that right? I haven't ever looked into it.

My mom couldn't stand Sam Levenson. I forget why.

by Anonymousreply 164March 24, 2024 8:34 PM

Who's the real...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 24, 2024 8:39 PM

Sating the obvious, but I'm amazed today how white TV was back then, and white kids like me never even thought about it.

by Anonymousreply 166March 24, 2024 9:02 PM

*Stating

by Anonymousreply 167March 24, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote]My mom couldn't stand Sam Levenson. I forget why.

My mother couldn't stand him, either. Maybe it was because he was both a crashing bore and a camera hog, which is a pretty deadly combination.

by Anonymousreply 168March 24, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote]Sating the obvious, but I'm amazed today how white TV was back then

Well, white people were nearly 90 percent of the population.

Actually the racial make up of TV was closer to the truth back then than it is today where a mere 13 percent of the population is wildly over represented.

by Anonymousreply 169March 24, 2024 10:35 PM

R169 Yes, I agree with you that the population is over-represented (if the goal is to have a correct representation of the racial demographic of the US on TV, which it really needn't be). But the fact remains there were black performers who could have been on some of these panel shows, and they just weren't. Or there could have been a sitcom about a black family (or a mixed neighborhood). Mind you there were black performers on variety shows, a lot. Or who had shows (Nat King Cole).

I remember seeing a few Dragnet episodes (that I have seen since, as well) around '68 or '69, where there were black characters. One involved a real estate office and it wasn't even an episode about race. It just had a mostly black cast, without comment. That was unusual.

by Anonymousreply 170March 24, 2024 11:04 PM

Anyway I had a friend who was black back in the 60s and I sometimes wondered when we talked about TV shows or his family did, how they must have felt watching white people all the time. I mean they were used to it, too. They accepted it, My friend's mom loved Danny Kaye, for ex.

by Anonymousreply 171March 24, 2024 11:10 PM

R169. The white % was 88.6 in1960…and you could count on on your fingers how many non-whites were regulars on the three networks.

Take a hike.

by Anonymousreply 172March 24, 2024 11:11 PM

R170 Outside of music there were few black celebrities that had a national audience.

by Anonymousreply 173March 24, 2024 11:12 PM

R55 It's the same ingredient as in Afrin.

by Anonymousreply 174March 24, 2024 11:12 PM

R173 Well, there was a reason for that.

by Anonymousreply 175March 24, 2024 11:13 PM

And the 1960s became the 1970s where there was probably a more fair representation then than there is today.

by Anonymousreply 176March 24, 2024 11:17 PM

As the person who brought up the mostly-white make up of TV then, I'm just saying it as an observation. Times change, I lived through all those times. But it's just something you notice. And we (whites) honestly didn't even think about it at the time. Especially kids. I mean my mom had Pat Suzuki records and I never thought, "How unusual, a Japanese-American with a record contract". Didn't think very much about anything, really.

by Anonymousreply 177March 24, 2024 11:18 PM

[quote] Anyway I had a friend who was black back in the 60s…

Interesting. What color is he now?

by Anonymousreply 178March 24, 2024 11:29 PM

Always the one black friend —like magic!

by Anonymousreply 179March 24, 2024 11:31 PM

R179 Well, his name was Billy Stokes and his family was the only black family in my town at the time, so yeah I had one black friend. I don't know what the problem is with you fucking assholes sometimes.

R178 He's dead now.

by Anonymousreply 180March 24, 2024 11:33 PM

Tom Poston was a great panelist.

by Anonymousreply 182March 25, 2024 12:05 AM

Flip Wilson headlined his own successful network variety show from 1970 to 1974.

by Anonymousreply 183March 25, 2024 12:06 AM

Esther Coopersmith, Washington hostess, starting at 17:08.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 1, 2024 12:31 AM

Esther Coopersmith, dies at 94.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 1, 2024 12:32 AM

Just when I thought I had seem all the available episodes of the original, I came across this unseen one. With an actual claimed sufferer of amnesia in the first game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 2, 2024 12:38 AM

^ More about the amnesiac.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 2, 2024 12:49 AM

I agree if you mean putting up paneling in the family room.

by Anonymousreply 188April 2, 2024 3:17 PM

R183 And I was talking about the original To Tell The Truth, which ran from 1956 to 1968, and which I used to watch in roughly 1964-1966, maybe occasionally after that.

I was giving my own observations of the world I grew up in and what TV was like, then. There were not a lot of black actors on TV then. Nor were many suburbs integrated. I can't help it if this bothers people, nor do I understand what is bothering them.

by Anonymousreply 189April 2, 2024 3:33 PM

I much prefer watching the network TTTT over the network WML.

by Anonymousreply 190April 2, 2024 4:13 PM

Olga Connelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191April 26, 2024 1:21 AM

^Connolly. Dead at 91.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 26, 2024 1:23 AM

[quote]She replied “Of course not. Your grandmother sucked on AYDS for 20 years and never lost a pound.”

You didn't SUCK on Ayds -- they were chewable, like Kraft caramels.

by Anonymousreply 193April 26, 2024 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!